PDA

View Full Version : The Laugh Lab

Xantar
02-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Yes, that's right. Scientists are now conducting the largest empirical study of humor the world has ever seen. If you visit here (http://www.laughlab.co.uk/home.html), you can submit a joke, rate a joke submitted by someone else and find out what the highest rated jokes in the world are.

Some of them aren't bad. One that I rated was:

When NASA sent astronauts into space, they found that ballpoint pens wouldn't work. Scientists spent decades and $1.2 billion in research developing pens that would write in space, upside down, underwater, on glass etc.

The Russians used pencils.

There are also some real stinkers. Here's another one I was forced to rate:

Why did the chicken cross the raod? To prove to the possum it could be done!

According to the website, this the world's funniest joke:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are going camping. They pitch their tent under the stars and go to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes wakes Watson up. `Watson, look up at the stars, and tell me what you deduce.' Watson says, 'I see millions of stars and even if a few of those have planets, it's quite likely there are some planets like Earth, and if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life.' Holmes replied: 'Watson, you idiot, somebody stole our tent!'

And this is the joke rated highest by Canadians (who must have serious humor deficiencies, might I add, if this is at all representative):

What do you call a woman who can balance four pints of beer on her head? Beatrix.

Finally, here's a joke that's supposedly funny in England. I don't understand it myself, so if an English person could explain it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Why do elephants have big ears? Noddy wouldn't pay the ransom.

Go rate some jokes and tell me what you think.

GameKinG
02-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Here are some pretty lame ones:

"Give me a sentence about a public servant," said a teacher. The small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant." The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked. "Sure," said the young student confidently. "Means carrying a child."

Why did the golfer wear two pairs of trousers? incase he got a whole in one

why don't they watch tv in afganistan? because of the taliban

Was that a joke^?

TheGrimReaper
02-06-2002, 02:04 AM
lol I loved the russian one.

Cyrax9
02-07-2002, 10:50 PM
Xanny these are great! The NASA one, and the Watson ones were the best, although I've heard the Watson/ Sherlock Holmes one a lot, one of my favorites actually.