PDA

View Full Version : The perfect controller

Jin
02-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Gamecube's has the best feel imo, but the d-pad is miniature and feels uncomfortable when you use it. The XBox has a nice joystick, and button layout, but is so huge that it's the most uncomfortable out of the 3. PS2 has an average feel, and pretty good button layout, but the joystick is impossible to use because of it's positioning. So in conclusion, they all suck!

IMO, a perfect controller is a combination of all of them; a controller that is shaped like the Dreamcast's so you can use both the joystick and d-pad comfortably, built in rumble like PS2's, uses Xbox's joystick and PS2's d-pad, and has a Z-trigger like the cube's.

What's you ideal of a perfect controller?

Xantar
02-03-2002, 04:40 PM
The perfect controller for me is the GameCube controller with a fourth trigger. I actually didn't mind the D-pad. Then again, I didn't get very much time with it, and I don't play fighting games anyway.

Joeiss
02-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Hmm... My idea of a perfect controller would be the PS2 dual shock controller. So, I already have my perfect controller!

BUt... for the rumoured "PS3", if they needed extra buttons, I would make an L4 and R4. They would be located underneath the analog sticks. So you could press them with your pinky fingers, or your ring fingers. But this is ONLY if games needed more buttons, however, I doubt that they will.

Revival
02-03-2002, 05:18 PM
My perfect controller is a tie between GameCube's and PS2's..

Joeiss
02-03-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
My perfect controller is a tie between GameCube's and PS2's..

A great controller would be the face of the PS2, with the two analogue shoulder buttons, plus two more shoulders behind it, not infront like the GCN.

LeonMagnolis
02-05-2002, 11:28 PM
I would have to say that the N64's controller would have been perfect aside from the akward placement of the middle stick. Had they moved the D pad to the middle and the joystick to the side, they would have created the perfect controller-- easy on the hands, but grabbable for the tougher of the games.

Playstation controllers have always been too small for my liking, and I haven't tried the GC controllers just yet. X box's are just fine for me, almost as good as the N64, but my hands cramped up after a while.

So I'd stick with N64 controllers for the easiest to use and the most comfortable.

Jin
02-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by LeonMagnolis
I would have to say that the N64's controller would have been perfect aside from the akward placement of the middle stick. Had they moved the D pad to the middle and the joystick to the side, they would have created the perfect controller-- easy on the hands, but grabbable for the tougher of the games.

Playstation controllers have always been too small for my liking, and I haven't tried the GC controllers just yet. X box's are just fine for me, almost as good as the N64, but my hands cramped up after a while.

So I'd stick with N64 controllers for the easiest to use and the most comfortable.

If you don't like the Playstation controller because it's too small you probably won't like the GC's, because it's even smaller.

Gamer
02-06-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Xantar
The perfect controller for me is the GameCube controller with a fourth trigger. I actually didn't mind the D-pad.

Exactly how i feel.

Null
02-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Jin

If you don't like the Playstation controller because it's too small you probably won't like the GC's, because it's even smaller.

um. GC's is bigger. by a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy close margin. but if you put the GC one over the PS2, you dont see any of the ps2 except for the shoulder buttons that stick out more above it.

Andddd perfect controller = PS2 controller. works on so many levels. fits big and small hands very well. button layout is perfect. Joysticks are the most comfortable of any.

BigJustinW
02-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Well, my pick would be N64's controller, with bigger buttons in place of the C-Buttons.

Professor S
02-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Believe it or not I prefer the XBox controller. It was a little awkward at first, but after I got use to it all other controller just seem too small and flimsy. Its a solid hunk of plastic that fills up your hands.

Second place goes to Dreamcast. Absolutely perfect placement of the buttons and d-pad and stick. Plus it introduced the brilliant "trigger" button concept as a real trigger and not a shoulder button.

Third to PS/PS2. The classic.

Fourth to Gamecube. Its just too damn small.

Last to N64. Flimsy and cheaply made, clumsy, not very responsive.

DaGamingMasta
02-09-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm hooked on the GCN's rmote it's unbelieveably comfortable the PS2 remote is not bad and the XBox controller is just a huge hunk of junk so overall the GCN remote RULES!

Professor S
02-10-2002, 03:38 PM
While you might not like it, the X-Box controller is definitely not a hunk of junk. Its probably the most well built controller on the market. I think the Cube's little controller is actually very flimsy. It feels like it will break if I throw it at my TV.

And believe me, no matter what controller I have, it eventually gets thrown at my TV in a fit of rage :D

azazela31
02-16-2002, 04:32 PM
You'll probably kill me for this... but I haven't played with a more comfortable controller than the Dreamcasts. Even the PS2's Dualshock 2 loses o the DC controller.

N8
02-16-2002, 04:38 PM
yeah, I love the DC controller, but the GCs is my fav. but I would rather a tad bigger dpad and have 2 trigger buttons in the same place as 64 had it, only on both sides.

azazela31
02-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by N8
yeah, I love the DC controller, but the GCs is my fav. but I would rather a tad bigger dpad and have 2 trigger buttons in the same place as 64 had it, only on both sides.

Maybe... I haven't even touched a GCN controller. Although the D pad looks cheap. Hope the controller is good!! I'm pre-ordering a console I haven't played and seen in action, hope it doesn't dissappoint me!!

BigJustinW
03-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by The Strangler
And believe me, no matter what controller I have, it eventually gets thrown at my TV in a fit of rage :D

LOL, me and DsH were just talking about slamming controllers a few days ago, so I had to reply :p

Xbox's controller is so big, I'm afraid it will break my TV if I throw it at it :D

Ps2's controller is juuust riiight ;)

Revival
03-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW
Xbox's controller is so big, I'm afraid it will break my TV if I throw it at it :D
It probably will.. hell, your TV might break if you throw a PS2 controller at it.... hard enough..

Mikkey
03-23-2002, 04:09 PM
dreamcast had the best controller. I think gcn's feels a lil bit weird.