PDA

View Full Version : Favourite WWF matches in the last ten years

nWoCHRISnWo
02-03-2002, 01:32 AM
Well it's been done before and I doubt much people will reply, but what are your favourite WWF matches since 1992? And/or give your opinions on some of my picks if you want...

My favourite's include

-Steve Austin vs Bret Hart Wrestlemania 13 (It's my all-time favourite match, I felt everything about it was perfect. If not for this, Austinmania wouldn't be what it is today. The match was booked so great too, my favourite ending of all-time. I'll never forget the scene of Austin wearing the crimson mask with the look of sever pain in his face while being punished in the sharpshooter.)

-Bret Hart vs Owen Hart Wrestlemania 10 (They have great chemistry and it was great to see Owen win. Owen plays the jealous, bitchy heel perfectly in what was one of the best 'wrestling' matches I've ever seen. Good pyshology and I especially liked how Owen went to the entrance way later in the night when everyone was else was celebrating Bret's title victory and just stared, knowing he just beat the champion only hours earlier. I also like the roll-up pin, I think people underrate them too much.)

-Bret Hart vs Owen Hart Steel Cage Summerslam '94 (For such a piece of **** PPV, this was my favourite cage match ever. Bret and Owen always put on great matches. I thought the sharpshooter reversed into a sharpshooter was just too sweet back then, and it was a good ending for a cage match.)

-Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect Summerslam '91 and King of the Ring '93 (See a trend here? Bret Hart rules. I loved Mr. Perfect (still do) and both matches are great, that's all there is to say.)

-Steve Austin vs The Rock Wrestlemania 17 (First half wasn't anything to talk about, but I felt it picked up near the second half, and I didn't really see it as interference as Vince only handed the chair to Austin and Austin did the beating himself. I actually liked the vicious use of the chair by Austin, contrary to many internet dicks, and the ending was different than the usual "opponent turns around after whining KICK WHAM STUNNER!" or "opponent turns around after beind dazed ROCK BOTTOM!"

-Steve Austin vs Kurt Angle Summerslam '01 (I dunno why really, but I'm in the minority it seems by liking this match. I thought it had an old school (not TOO old school) feel to it, the blade jobs were great, and the ending wasn't what I was hoping for, but it wasn't the obvious ending either. What was obvious was who was walking out with the Belt, as WWF put The Rock/Booker T match on AFTER this one... Gee, I wonder why they'd do that?)

-Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels Ladder Wrestlemania 10 and Summerslam '95 (First one was great when I watched it the first time, and second one is great for the long term psychology.)

-Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart Iron man (Nearing the middle-end of the sixty minutes, there was some great wrestling, and again, in the minority, I actually loved the no-pins-going-into-overtime crap. I was pissed as hell that Shawn won, but it would have been great if only he jobbed to Bret at Wrestlemania 13 like he was supposed to. Bastard.)

-Mick Foley vs Shawn Michaels/Undertaker HIAC Badd Blood/King of the Ring '98 (The Michaels HIAC was just great, and the Undertaker HIAC is waaaaaay overrated by the marks, and waaaaaaaay underrated by most smarks. So what if it was a regular match with some great bumps? The match entertained me, and at the time (and still) both bumps were super-amazing. I liked the addition of the thumbtacks both men had balls for this match. and it made you feel like there was nothing you could do to keep Mankind down.

-TLC 1 (Sure it was a spotfest, but who gives a ****? It was a GREAT spotfest, pretty original at the time, and I don't always wanna see a Flair/Steamboat wrestling clinic. There were how many (6?) other matches at the PPV that could have done the wrestling? This was great and screw those who say it's not. And while some say the psychology is totally non-existant, I say it's not as good as Bret Hart selling a leg injury for weeks, but in my opinion, it gives you the feel thatsomething drastic has to happen to keep these competitors down long enough to grab the titles. While they may do one big bump that won't keep them down that long, and one smaller bump that keeps them down at the end, it makes sense because of the wear and tear their bodies went through during the match.)

-Chris Benoit vs Steve Austin Smackdown in Edmonton (Seeing this match live was beyond sweetness. Probably the best free TV match ever in my opinion. The crowd (me :D included) was hot, and Benoit/Austin were on such a hot streak then, which is amazing considering their usual goodness is off the charts anyway)

And I'll add more later, now must post before internet screws up and I have to write everything over.

Ridley
02-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Some of these are carried over from the "Favorite Moments" thread (in no particular order) :

- Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart [Iron Man Match at Wrestlemania] (Gotta admire two guys that can wrestle for a little over an hour straight. Even if you think they know how to land without hurting themselves in any sort of way :rolleyes: )

- Mick Foley vs. The Undertaker [Hell in a Cell at King of the Ring] (The mere fact that Foley could take those hits and still want to continue on, broken bones or not, made that match f**kin amazing. I loved what JR said after Foley took the first drop through the announcer's table from the top of the cage. "There's no net. And somebody who says 'Oh yeah they know how to fall'. Give me a break." )

- Bret Hart vs. Austin [Wrestlemania]

- Bret Hart winning the WWF title for the first time against Ric Flair (Like I said previously, before this match, I never thought the WWF would ever let a Canadian born person win the WWF Heavyweight title.)

- Undertaker vs. Yokozuna [The first Casket match at Royal Rumble]

- TLC 1

- TLC 3 (They did some crazy sh*t in both these matches :D.)

- Steve Austin vs. The Rock [Wrestlemania 17]

- Benoit vs. Angle [Submission Match]

- Chris Benoit vs Steve Austin [Smackdown] You're right Chris, this was probably the best TV match you could ever see. The numerous times that it seemed Benoit came close to winning, the (it think it was 10) straight german suplexes to Austin, and the fact it was in Benoit's hometown of Edmonton, made it something to see.

Professor S
02-04-2002, 11:33 AM
- Royal Rumble (early nineties, forget the exact year) Special guest wrestlers included Mil Mascaras and and Carlos Calone. As some of you guys know I am a international wrestling whore so I had to put that one in there.:D

- Perfect/Hart Intercontinental Championship, I couldn't agree with you more Chris.

- Cactus Jack vs. HHH Royal Rumble. Mick got himself in shape and had one of the best wrestling matches of his career. Old school Cactus at his best. Plus it is the only true hard core wrestling match in WWF history.

Isn't it funny that Cactus is the one who took the REAL barbed wire and thumbtacks to the face, yet HHH was the one that looked like he was attacked by a Weed Whacker?

- Hell in a Cell... you know which one. One of the craziest matches in the history of North American Pro Wrestling.

- TLC #1. Took high flying to a new and exciting, even if very dangerous, level.

- I'll add some more later... I'm tired