PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo re-thinking the cell-shaded Zelda!

Jason1
02-01-2002, 04:36 PM
And this comes from the mouth og the Main man himself, Peter Main, that is.

I found this at Planet Gamecube, peter main was talking about how well nintendo is doing aginst microsoft, and, well, read it for yourself.

“If you hold up TRST to the light of day,” said Main, “you would say that we are clearly behind Microsoft by a couple of hundred thousand units. We’ll see how they do in Japan in the next month. From a corporate standpoint, we’re thinking about it globally, and we’ve shipped 2.6 million. We rolled all the dice last year in both re-launching Game Boy and launching GameCube in two different markets.” For Nintendo to succeed, it will need to rely on its established game properties, and one piece of news that will come as a relief to many gamers is that Nintendo is re-thinking the cel-shaded version of The Legend of Zelda that was unveiled last August at its Spaceworld trade show. “You mean that contentious look? What Miyamoto [Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo’s top game designer] ends up with will truly reflect all of the words he has heard, but the sentiments that he holds true to make sure that Zelda continues to titillate all the fans that it has attracted over the years,” said Main.

Here is the full article

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=2589

All I can say is thank god. Im not saying the cell shaded one would be horrible...but Id much rather see the old one.

BigJustinW
02-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Good.... good news.

Buuut, I don't want them to can the Cell-Shaded version... I just want them to make it's sequal (sometime2003-4) more like the SW2000 demo.

Drunk Hobbit
02-01-2002, 05:07 PM
Fudgenabbit! All they have to do in change Link's face and hair, and it would be perfect. Not the whole look.

BigJustinW
02-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
Fudgenabbit! All they have to do in change Link's face and hair, and it would be perfect. Not the whole look.

If you say so...

I think the game doesn't look good overall.

Drunk Hobbit
02-01-2002, 05:24 PM
Yeah...

...it looks great! :D

Xantar
02-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Nintendo's not ditching the cel-shaded look. Of that I'm confident. They've invested far too much time and money into the development of the cel-shaded game.

What I'm betting they'll do is ditch Chibi Link. A lot of people have said that the game looks nice but Link's model looks horrible. Sounds reasonable to me. If they could make him look like the cel-shaded version of the N64 model, I wouldn't mind at all.

Ginkasa
02-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I agree. The only real problem I had was Link's model. As long as they change him (for the better of course) I'm just fine with the cel-shaded look.

Joeiss
02-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Meh. I don't think that this is too big of news. I just think that they are going to change Link's features and shape, like previous people said.

I still hope for a Zelda game on GCN that will look like the SW2000 demo. I probably still won't buy it, but I just want to glamour over the looks.

Jin
02-01-2002, 07:18 PM
The best solution is for them to get the old Zelda back even if it means another year for it's development. Since they've done so much work with the cell-shading, they should substitute a new character with Link. The problem would be completely solved. Zelda fans would get back their old Zelda, and fans of cell-shading would get their own franchise.

Jason1
02-01-2002, 07:29 PM
I was kinda thinking they might do a mix of sorts, it would still be cell shaded, but more realistic looking than it is now...

LoudHowardZERO
02-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Xantar
Nintendo's not ditching the cel-shaded look. Of that I'm confident. They've invested far too much time and money into the development of the cel-shaded game.

What I'm betting they'll do is ditch Chibi Link. A lot of people have said that the game looks nice but Link's model looks horrible. Sounds reasonable to me. If they could make him look like the cel-shaded version of the N64 model, I wouldn't mind at all.

My thought exactly!

Bond
02-01-2002, 09:44 PM
I really don't think Nintendo will change the cell-shaded Zelda look, they seem to piss the majority of their fans off like that. Yet people continue to buy the games.

Yoda9864
02-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I don't think they will "rethink". And I ceratainly hope they don't change it 'cause it would take a long while for it to come out.

nWoCHRISnWo
02-01-2002, 10:48 PM
Pardon my french, but that was the gayest looking game I've ever seen.

fingersman
02-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Well the main word here is "rethink" not "redo".... they can rethink something and still decide that they are going ahead with the look...we'lll just have to wait.................as usual. :unsure:

Angrist
02-02-2002, 03:47 AM
They don't have time enough to change the whole game and make it the realistic game we were hoping for. So I think they should stick with this game (but PLEASE change Link's ugly model) and make a realistic sequel in 2004!