PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Announces GBA Price Drop

Xantar
01-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Read here (http://www.nintendo.com/news/news_articles.jsp?articleID=6091).

Or read this next quote if you're too lazy.

REDMOND, Wash., January 28, 2002 - Nintendo today announced a global price drop for its best-selling, hand-held video game wonder Game Boy® Advance, effective February 1, 2002. In the U.S., the new suggested retail price is $79.95, representing a 20-percent decrease. This simultaneous global price drop is the result of production efficiencies and decreased component costs.
The U.S. video game industry generated a record-breaking $9.4 billion in 2001, and Game Boy Advance was responsible for more than 20 percent of total hardware units sold. Since its release in June 2001, Game Boy Advance has sold nearly 5 million hardware units in North America. To stay ahead of the game, Nintendo remains on track to ship 23.5 million Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color units to retail outlets worldwide during its current fiscal year, ending March 2002.
"The new price point truly positions Game Boy Advance as a video game system for the mass market," says Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Coupled with an explosive amount of incredible software scheduled for the year, Game Boy Advance is positioned to become the best-selling video game hardware system of all time."

This year will see the release of more than 200 games for Game Boy Advance, including Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, launching on February 11th. Nintendo will also introduce innovative new game play formats to take advantage of the new Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance cable. The first games to feature this game play synergy are Sonic Advance from THQ for Game Boy Advance and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle from Sega for NINTENDO GAMECUBE, both launching in February. Using this new device, players can transfer data between the two systems, giving gamers a brand new level of game play never before experienced.
"The enormous success of Game Boy Advance has made publishing games for the system a clear triumph for us," says Brian Farrell, President and CEO, THQ Inc. "With this price drop our products will now reach even more consumers."

Hey, I can afford that. Hmm....

Shadow_Link
01-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that news Xanny!

I am still trying to find the date Nintendo plan to decrease the price of their GBA games... Dang!

Anyway, this is great news, and will just push the GBA to greater levels of success!

Gamer
01-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Hehe, you beat me to it Xanny, dang, o well, thanx anyways :cool:

Snake
01-28-2002, 03:41 PM
****ernuts! I could have saved a few dollars :(

Ginkasa
01-28-2002, 04:03 PM
Well that's great news!

If you don't already have a GBA anyway.....

Joeiss
01-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Well, I bought a GBA the first week it came out, so this is crappy news for me... But this reminds me that I get to throw my GBA against a wall... Because I still have it covered with store warranty! WOOHOO!!! I will get another Arctic I think.

Yoda9864
01-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Well, I don't really care considering GameTavern paid for my GBA after I won Survivor 2:D. But it's good news for everyone else.

GameMaster
01-29-2002, 10:40 PM
It's great news for younger kids who save their lifetime's allowance just to get one of these bad boys :D

DimHalo
01-31-2002, 02:28 PM
I think they make great gifts (hehe...that's how I got mine and that's how my mom got hers).

Kitana85
02-01-2002, 02:57 PM
I had mine preordered... oh well... maybe I'll get another one...
Checks wallet
Then again, maybe not

Blackmane
02-10-2002, 06:49 PM
I really have to get one now. So many good games at great prices. Even the games are cheaper now, not just the hardware.

Gamer
02-10-2002, 08:51 PM
I went to Future Shop today, and the GBA price has indeed dropped 30$. IT is now down to the low price of 109$ cnd. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Jason1
02-12-2002, 10:48 PM
A lot of things have been dropping in price lately...I saw Super Smash Bros Melee advertised for 39.95, and Super Mario Advance 2 for 22.95:eek:

J3]IMaster
02-17-2002, 05:07 PM
In the UK the price of the GBA console dropped to 59.99 at most places (GB£) over a month ago which is good news for many non-GBA owners, although unfortunately the software is still more expensive than it should be

LoudHowardZERO
02-17-2002, 07:22 PM
What's that in Canadian?

GameMaster
02-20-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by jeepnut's slave
I think they make great gifts (hehe...that's how I got mine and that's how my mom got hers).

You're mom play video games! Cool!!! :D

Yoda9864
02-20-2002, 06:35 PM
I am so envious of kids whose parents play (and actualyl get into) video games. Man, that would be awesome. I guess it's kind of out of the picture now that my parents are over 50. :rolleyes:

azazela31
02-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
I am so envious of kids whose parents play (and actualyl get into) video games. Man, that would be awesome. I guess it's kind of out of the picture now that my parents are over 50. :rolleyes:

If that was the only problem... nearly non of my friends play video games.