PDA

View Full Version : Real Quick Help

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Anyone remembers their Biology real good.. trying to write an essay and can't find my book and really don't remember this terms....

Anyone remember the difference between incomplete domiance and codomiance when dealing with genetic inheritance?

gekko
01-27-2002, 01:52 PM
Try here: http://biology.about.com/cs/genetics/

Xantar
01-27-2002, 04:15 PM
Well, let's see here.

I believe incomplete dominance was when a trait attached to a particular gene can be mixed. For example, if you breed a white flower with a red flower and you get a pink flower, that's incomplete dominance.

Codominance means that there are two genes which are attached to a trait. Let's see there is a gene in rabbits that determines whether or not they are white. If the gene is expressed, the rabbit will be white. If not, the rabbit may still be white depending on the other gene. That one will make the rabbit brown if expressed. So in order to have a brown rabbit, the white gene must not be expressed and the brown gene must be expressed. If the white gene is expressed, the rabbit is white regardless of the brown gene. If the brown gene is not expressed, the rabbit is white regardless of what the white gene says.

Something like that. Biology was a long time ago...

Bond
01-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Xantar
Well, let's see here.

I believe incomplete dominance was when a trait attached to a particular gene can be mixed. For example, if you breed a white flower with a red flower and you get a pink flower, that's incomplete dominance.

Codominance means that there are two genes which are attached to a trait. Let's see there is a gene in rabbits that determines whether or not they are white. If the gene is expressed, the rabbit will be white. If not, the rabbit may still be white depending on the other gene. That one will make the rabbit brown if expressed. So in order to have a brown rabbit, the white gene must not be expressed and the brown gene must be expressed. If the white gene is expressed, the rabbit is white regardless of the brown gene. If the brown gene is not expressed, the rabbit is white regardless of what the white gene says.

Something like that. Biology was a long time ago...
You hit the nail on the pine there Xantar.

This might help also:

co·dom·i·nance (k-dm-nns)
n.
A condition in which both alleles of a gene pair in a heterozygote are fully expressed, with neither one being dominant or recessive to the other.

-----

incomplete dominance
n.
A heterozygous condition in which both alleles at a gene locus are partially expressed, often producing an intermediate phenotype.

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 08:29 PM
ok thanks....Ok was able to locate my notes...Really do need to clean out that book.. anyhow....

Xanny was correct on the incomplete dominace thingy.. but rather off on the codominace....

Codominace is when either trait is dominant..so if an offspring was to inherit the traits it will express both like if a white rabbit mated with a red rabbit.. the resulting offspring will most likely have red and white fur......

So thanks to all 3 of you people..damn essays