PDA

View Full Version : Taboos

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 12:21 AM
Do you think people impose taboos or do taboos have a way of controlling society?

Hmm that's how my English teacher would do it ..I think.. yeah state the question..then go into detail.... hope it goes correct..

Well for those who don't know taboos usually refer to socially unacceptable behavoirs... Some of the more common taboos usually deal with sex....
Like most people find it wrong to sleepw with your own mother or father.... Even though according to our good friend Frued that is exactly what each and every guy on this forum wants to do.. get in bed with his mom... but that is a whole other point

The point is..here in America we find that to be a sick and disgusting behavior...But there are places that pratice this in marriage routinals..as the bride and groom most sleep with their peer's parent of the opposite sex..to "teach them the ropes"

So this behavior isn't accepted by us in America.. yet is accepted in other places...
So what do you think would happen..if someone from our society who grew up believing it was sick.. was to assimilate into that culture without knowing about this ritual....

I'm basically asking.. Do you think he will follow the taboo that he personal believes in since he grew up with the idea.. or do you think he will follow the one that society imposes on him?

TheGrimReaper
01-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Well it all depends on the person. It could go either way, although if his beleif is firm enough with the one he grew up with he will follow that one, or if he finds the pressure that society puts on him is too great, he will follow the one that society follows.

All in all, it depends on the person, and the pressure.

Kitana85
01-27-2002, 08:39 AM
I agree.. it's an intriguing proposition. I may very well depend on how old some one was when they entered the new culture. Things child pick up in young childhood often continue to influence them throughout adulthood.
Theories and taboos about sex take up much of our time as a culture, and many of these are tought to children before they actually understand what the act of sex is.
It would be very hard for a new person, who had been indocterinated all of his life to feel one way have to change that.
If the love for the girl was that strong, he may do it, but one still couldn't be sure if he was really "into it" or if he felt bad/guilty the entire time.
As was said before, it also depends a lot on the guy. :rolleyes:

Revival
01-27-2002, 11:48 AM
Oh god, another sex topic.

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Shooter
Oh god, another sex topic.

Actually it's not a sex topic.. it's a topic on taboos.. which generally deal with sex but there are so non sex related taboos.. such as marrying your cousin and dating your sister and stuff.. if you want it to mean sex..You can limit your mind however you see fit....

Kitana it could also be a female..would you description for a female also be that of the guy.. because I don't know.. I don't see a girl loving a guy that much to give up her way of life

Revival
01-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
You can limit your mind however you see fit....
And you could do me a favor and kill yourself :D

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Shooter

And you could do me a favor and kill yourself :D
Well the favor I want you to do for me.. would probably get me banned.. involve quiet mike editing my post and so on.. so I won't even bother...

DimHalo
01-27-2002, 01:32 PM
I think that the time that the person moves into the new culture is a very strong factor. It definately also depends on how strongly the person feels about the original ideas or beliefs. This is why children will tend to adapt to changes easier...they have not lived with one set thing for a long time so they don't tend to have strong opinions on stuff. Overall, age is important. But the type of person affects it also.

GameMaster
01-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
..as the bride and groom most sleep with their peer's parent of the opposite sex..to "teach them the ropes"

:confused::eek: :) :D ;)