PDA

View Full Version : About Zelda...Don't Miss This!! (plus some 'extra' stuff)

D-realJos
01-26-2002, 09:45 PM
http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=15923707&replies=17

For the record, this isn't my topic. [although, it's a great way to stall until I can post one
of my own ;)] ...so 2 thumbs up for the original poster.

A guy at IGN boards probably felt the need to look through some old interviews(for what ever reason), but it seemed to have paid off because what he found was startling.....positively!

Some of you may/may not have seen/don't not remember this one, but here it is anyway. It's one of those things that you'd like everyone to be aware of.

Miyamoto...

"Shall I begin making Zelda for our next generation hardware? [cheers] At this point, the answer to that question is no. [Disappointed "aaaawwwws" can be heard and Miyamoto laughs.] The reason for my saying this is that all of the elements for which Zelda has received so much praise for had already been incorporated into the game more than a year before completion, when I felt the game was not fun to play. I think that a lot of the reasons that Zelda has been so praised are not related the N64's level of expression, the unique camera systems and auto-jump system, nor the gorgeous cinema scenes and spectacular boss fights. It is true that some other team may realize the level of expression that we achieved with Zelda, but of course it will not be the exact same as Zelda. With improved hardware, I can imagine Zelda having more detailed graphics and a quicker response time, but when it comes to increasing the degree of fun, I cannot be certain of that at this time. This is something that I feel we as designers must reconsider.

Also, I want to constantly make efforts to create new ideas. I want to propose new game ideas without worrying about the headaches of management, such as inflated development costs. Video games have become far more popular than in the past, but I feel that we have just been repeating the same events again and again in this unique market. Even with Zelda I did not feel that sense of freshness that I had with the original Super Mario Bros. I want to make efforts to convey the charm of video games to the general public that is currently outside the reach of the industry in which we do business. This is because I really want to feel the unique zest of the entertainment industry, where one simple idea can create an unexpected social phenomenon. "

Also important... The author's(of the thread) comment.

"Very interesting. It looks like the 'new look' of Zelda was always meant to be, who are we to question his work! :)"

Link! (http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=15923707&replies=17)

Extra Bite:{tm} :D

This concerns Eternal Darkness....[again, you may/may not know this]

If you've been to Silicon Knights website, then you may know that it has a really cool sound piece that seems like it was recorded from one of Shakespare's plays or something. It demonstrates superb voice acting. Click here (http://www.siliconknights.com/images/damned.wav), turn up your speakers, and listen to the file...sounds good doesn't it?

The TRUTH?... That part was rip directly from the GameCube game.
Great voice acting and sound--among everything else that we know--only scratches the surface of what ED will offer...as Denis always reminds us. (http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=17821454&start=17826342) ;)

thatmariolover
01-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Haha. Dreal. You notice things right around when I notice them.

That voice acting clip is awesome. I heard it for the first time a long time ago when I was sitting with my speakers cranked on my computer in the middle of the night with the lights out. I almost **** my pants. :-D

DeathsHand
01-26-2002, 10:43 PM
that's good voice acting? sounds kinda goofy to me... although maybe that's because the guy's screaming like some kinda maniac... I wanna here some normal talking before I judge it :p

as for the other stuff eehhhhh... interesting or something :sneaky: *runs away*

Jason1
01-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Ha...the only thing I can understand out of that sound file it ''the darkness comes''

thatmariolover
01-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
that's good voice acting? sounds kinda goofy to me... although maybe that's because the guy's screaming like some kinda maniac... I wanna here some normal talking before I judge it :p

as for the other stuff eehhhhh... interesting or something :sneaky: *runs away*

Dude, he IS a maniac. The guys sanity is dwindling, and he's screaming.

Why do you constantly insist on judging everything w/o knowing what the topic is all about? :-/

And I really hope you were joking when you said you don't think that this game will be good.

I guess, maybe it's not for everybody, but this game is seriously the reason I bought a Gamecube. Seeing people not appreciate ED really distresses me. So sorry if I go crazy on you. I just get really defensive about ED. Almost nobody knows enough about this game to know if they're going to like it or not. Please really read the preview I wrote for the game in the other ED topic.

Ginkasa
01-26-2002, 10:54 PM
First we have:

Originally posted by thatmariolover
I guess, maybe it's not for everybody, but this game is seriously the reason I bought a Gamecube.

Then we have:

Almost nobody knows enough about this game to know if they're going to like it or not.

:hmm:

DeathsHand
01-26-2002, 10:59 PM

Seeing people not appreciate ED really distresses me

boo hoo? I don't like the looks of a game?

It would be nice if it was good game... cuz if it's good, it could be really good... if it has a nice storyline and good gameplay, then those 40-60 hours or whatever will be very good...

but I dunno... the game just seems slow to me... like instead of having a gripping storyline, it will be more like... feeling like the story drags on and on...

hey, so many people think the game will rock, what's the big deal if I think it will be bad? I'll still give it a rent no matter what i think, and buy it if it's good... It's not like I'm gonna ignore the game if it ends up being good just because I think it looks bad before it comes out...

And whatcha mean I always judge stuff?

Edit: And about Link's.. err... reply... he makes a good point... in a way... nobody really knows enough about the game to judge it fully... but from judging what we've seen, it looks boring, IMO... I don't listen to developers praising their own games... and talking about how we're just scratching the surface... what do you expect them to say? "The game's not coming along very good, I wouldn't buy it if I were you"? I'll believe it when I see it... I always look at things skeptically unless like it's made by a developer a really like or it's part of a series I really love...

whereas

SK only has one game I like, blood omen, and while it seems OK, it's not like a great game... And ED isn't part of a series I like... It has interesting ideas, but until they prove that it's got the gameplay and storyline down, I'm not gonna go getting all hyped up and setting myself up for potential dissapointment...

I'd rather be dissapointed with the previews and stuff they give us of a game rather than the final game itself...

thatmariolover
01-26-2002, 11:00 PM
I know about everything there is to know about ED at this point. I think I have pretty damned good idea of if I'm going to like it or not.

I said almost nobody. Not nobody. There was an exception in that sentence. I know more about ED than anybody on this board, and I will bet that I know as much as anybody on any other board (save for Mr. Dyack on the IGN boards).

Did you even read my preview? You can split hairs, or you can actually read my posts for what they are.

And DeathsHand, I try to apologize to you for getting mad, and you act like a dick about it. Show some respect. I said sorry because I wanted to show you some. I would expect that from you of all people on this board.

Ginkasa
01-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Yes, I have read you're preview.

And calm down. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything. It just seemed strange that you would say its the reason you bought a GCN and then say that hardly anybody knows enough to know if they'll like it or not. I just found it funny.....

thatmariolover
01-26-2002, 11:07 PM
You thought it was funny because you didn't understand what I was trying to say. Miscommunication is the biggest problem on the internet. Forget it, Link.

D-realJos
01-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
Ha...the only thing I can understand out of that sound file it ''the darkness comes''

Thank you SOOOOO much man...that's actually the only part I COULDN'T understand. (I take it that you were just kidding, however)

so I guess the whole thing is...

"May the rats eat your eyes.... the darkness comes... it will damn you all!!!"

EDIT: So I quess I can stop saying...

"May the rats eat your eyes...the countless scunts.... it will damn us all!!"

I swear...that's what I've been saying. I know it doesn't make a damn bit of sense, but what am I supposed to do? Not try to say it at all? :unsure:

DeathsHand
01-26-2002, 11:21 PM
Well sorry for "being a dick"...

anyways... I don't think the game looks all that great... you do... okie dokes... so do a ton of other Nintendo fans... but I don't jump on the bandwagon and talk about how the game will be so great when the company only has 1 game I kinda like and we havn't even seen a whole lot about the game...

I'm pessemistic about a lot of things... you should know that by now ;)

aaaanyways...

thatmariolover
01-26-2002, 11:28 PM
Actually Dreal, I believe he says:

"May the rats eat your eyes out! There darkness... comes.... It will damn us all."

DH:

Sure, I know that by know. But I also know you to usually have a reason for such thing. You seem like you're pessimistic about it because you don’t know much about it. And at this point, with how much you’d have to research it, I guess I can’t blame you.

But I’m not going to get into a pissing contest about this.

D-realJos
01-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Actually Dreal, I believe he says:

"May the rats eat your eyes out! There darkness... comes.... It will damn us all."

Are you sure? ...listen again!

PS: LoL, why does my topics always set the mood for arguments? Hey, technically....ya know...this ISN'T 100% my topic......so that would mean...

::Oh STFU D-real!!...you posted it, it's your topic, and people are arguing in it like with every other topic, just face it denial-boy::

DeathsHand
01-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by D-realJos

why does my topics always set the mood for arguments

Because nobody likes reading them, but you keep posting them, so people are mad to begin with ;)

J/K :p

GameKinG
01-27-2002, 12:44 AM
We pretty much know a lot about the storyline. IGN did a write-up for the n64 version. I doubt it changed much besides making everything bigger and prettier.

Shadow_Link
01-27-2002, 06:21 AM
I remember reading that speech Miyamoto gave. It was interesting, and actually proved a lot of stupid people wrong about nintendo 'supposedly' changing the look of zelda...

Anywho, that sound clip is very good, the more I hear about ED, the more I want it! Ever since hearing about it for the M64, I went crazy about the damn game, just as much as I did for SFA...

thatmariolover, you should just excuse DsH, he always finds something to be pessimistic about in everything, hehe :D

Gamer
01-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Hmm, well from what i've seen i think this game will really be interesting! and geeze, its someting new and unique, so nobody can really judge it bad or great right now, they can think what they want, but they wont know for a little while. What is the release date sat for anyways?

Shadow_Link
01-28-2002, 04:21 PM
The release date is set for the latter part of the last quater in 2002, in other words, before or after this christmas :D.