PDA

View Full Version : Game Endings

fingersman
01-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Ok this how it goes...you post the top 3 game endings and the top 3 dissapointing game endings......I'll start

Top 3 best endings
FF8

Zelda (super nes) hey it wasn't bad for Super nes.

MGS2 ( the talking at the end was weird...but the ending was nice, I consider everything from when I beat the 7 Metal Gears to the last in game cut scence the ending...cause the last boss was easy as hell)

Well that's all the games I could think of for now....I'm sure they are more but I can't remember them.

Now on to the disappointing list

First on my list is
MArio 64( that was just like Nes days ...when I saw it I was like this is it?? I stood in shock for 3 mins straight

Pikmin: I mean come on man this is next gen ..the optical disc holds 1.5 gigs would it have been hard to show when the man got back with his family?? Buttttt noooooooo they show all the stupid creature you meet on the planet.......I couldn't believe it..this is next gen here peoples ....I know the Gameplay counts and all..but for an adventure game I think the ending should be atleast 1 to 2 mins long...as a gamer I feel like if I've been cheated when I play a great game like this one and get a sucky ending.

FF7
OMG I couldn't believe it when I saw it...after alll the CG...all the great cut scenes...I thought this ending is going to be the bomb....what do I see?? I saw the stupid talking dog running with his cubs and....well most of you should know the rest.

Well that's my list ....I'm sure alot of you have a bigger list than mine....so if you do feel free to post it.

On a smalll note......I think that developers should really start putting more into game endings( especially nintendo) when you beat a game , especially an adventure game ( which usually has very little or no replay value) or any other type of game for that matter. You usually look forward to the story at the ending because it's something like a reward for you after, trying so hard to beat the obstacles.....yes you may get joy in just saying that you beat the game but however the ending is usually the icing on the cake....and let's face it..no one really wants a cake without atleast a little icing on it ..now do they??

Well those are my thoughts ...sso you guys n girls can start posting your list.:D

Xantar
01-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Top 3:

Starcraft—If you've seen it, you know what I mean.

Chrono Trigger—The endings for this game are quite good. But I'm giving this game points just for the sheer number of endings. And they're usually worthwhile.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time—Best Zelda ending.

Bottom 3:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)—After playing for hours and hours on this thing collecting all the items and fighting some bosses five or six times (hey, I was a little kid), all I got was some scrolling text. What?!?

Illusion of Gaia—This has to be the world's most boring game ending. I would have preferred scrolling text.

Quake—Scrolling text once again...

As you can see, I don't get to see the endings of too many games.

I don't think developers necessarily need to work on better endings. Sure, they're nice, but for some games, an elaborate ending is simply not appropriate. A game that doesn't have much of a storyline doesn't need an ending to tie up the story. And sometimes, games are enjoyable for the experience itself rather than the progression from beginning to end. I agree that RPGs and the like should have some good endings, but for a lot of games I just don't care.

Y2Kevbug11
01-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Man, FF7 was the best! It let you USE your imagination! Sure, I would have liked to see Aeris magically become revived and Cloud and her go off to some Chapel, the world be saved, and the meteor fragments rain down on the Boondox and kill all the hicks, but realistically and mentally, that's lackadasial and just play stupid. Square said, "Hey. Gamers are SOMEWHAT intellegent, let's let them guess for themselves." Square showed you what happened to the Earth, and you get to make what you want of it.

I would have liked to have seen more. However, when you really think about it, what could Square have done? Nothing that really wouldn't have ruined the story.

FF8, on the other hand, basically told you EVERYTHING that happened. There wasn't even room for the slightest human thought. Not that it was a bad ending, because it wasn't, I just like to think for myself. That's why books are better than movies.

I liked MGS2's ending also. The game is hysterically confusing up until the exact last line of the game- it's perfect that way.

fingersman
01-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Y2Kevbug11
Man, FF7 was the best! It let you USE your imagination! .

You liked FF7 ending?? I can't fault you for your opinion or anything....but I played without a strat book and had to start over because I missed something ( can't remember what it was hmmmmmm) But after three discs and over 100++ hours ....I was like no way.....this the reward I get for playing though all of this? Sure half the fun is getting there....But i think for an adventurre game or RPG that the ending should be a little longer IMO.....and BTW what's to imagine in FF7 ending?? They grew old and died or the humans in the city committed mass sucide ..who cares?? the point is they all died or noone inhabited the city and the land had started to grow again...the point I'm making is that for extremly long good games that are story based ... I think the Game developers should put a lot more into the endings...or give you some sort bonus or something. :unsure: I'm sure most of you feel somewhat disappointed when you play a long enticing game and get some crap ending. I know I do.

Heyyoudvd
01-26-2002, 06:04 PM
I've never been satisfied with a game's ending, especially after I had been playing the fame for a long time.

For instance, after playing Zelda OoT for months (incredible game)m and I finally been Ganondorf, then Ganon, i was just sort of like "what the hell happed?".

It was a greta ending, but I guess it's the fact that I'd been playing the game and progressing in it for a long time, and once it finally ended, by brain couldn't really process this.

Some endings I was really disappointed with are Max Payne and Conker's bad Fur Day. Conker had a really cool idea (game freeze), but the end of the game seemed too abrupt. Every level was fairly long, then the alst level was just so short, that when I finished it, I also thought "what the hell happened?".

Max Payne's ending didnt' really sum anything up. he just went to Jail, The End.

Shadow Fox
01-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Well, the best ending for me was Star Ocean 2, rivaled only by Crono Trigger, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time. Those ending cinemas still look sweet on their respective systems....

Halo was a bit of a mixed bag. The story was real good leading up to the end, but then it kinda took a nosedive....

Honorable mention was Super Metroid. It, like the other Metroid games, alowed you to actually play during the ending...and it was kick-a$$.

Character of Choice: KI2. Mutliple endings, and those awsome CG movies. Depending on who you kill up to that spectacular explosion fighting Gargos, Jago, Fulgore, TJ Combo, and Maya have the best endings in a fighter ever.

Sword of the Berserk/Sonic Adventure 2: Both true endings are also worth mention.

C.H
01-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Okay, so maybe this game dosen't have the best ending. But i have to say it.

Serious sam
The ending is short but sweet, the phone call LMAO. great stuff, and it makes way for the sequel.

gekko
01-26-2002, 10:34 PM
I don't like any endings, and I'm disapointed by every one. Ending are supposed to be dramatic. They're supposed to make an impact on you. And personally, i don't find video games that do that.

Look at Shenmue. Brilliant game, in fact, one of the best stories ever. If you don't believe me, pop in Shenmue II disc 4 and watch the digest movie. But it was the game that I was impressed with, the overall developing of the story, not the ending. I mean, it had an amazing story line. But in the end, he went on a ship, whoop de do!

I've yet to find a videogame with a great ending. They all had a great story, and you basically played right through to the end. Then just a little cinema to wrap things up. The endings aren't a big part of the game, and they probably shouldn't be. I'm still waiting for a huge plot twist in the ending, something to really shock me. And I'll keep waiting.

Now, the best ending (even if it wasn't great) was Banjo-Kazooie. When Mumbo shows you pictures on Banjo-Tooie. See, me and my friend finished the game rather quickly. There was no information on this, we thought it was like a second adventure. I guess DKR was fresh on our mind. We searched every single inch of the game, and played through it about 3 times each and came up with nothing. In fact, we even did all the transformations, and explored with those. Nothing, it was showing you a sequel. But damn Rare did good! Some companies struggle to keep you playing their game, Rare sure found a way to kill a few weeks of my time playing BK.

GameKinG
01-27-2002, 01:06 AM
The best:

3)Super Smash Bros. Melee - Cause it was easy to get to the end!
2)Madden 2002 - Cause I always win in the end!

and...

1)The legend of Zelda: Ocarania of Time - As much as wish that b*t¢h :D didnt take my ocarania, the freeze frame at the end was classic.

The worst:

3)Little Mermain for NES: nough' said. Who cares about the prince, I want a hot chick to kiss...
2)Pac Man - Cause I have not gotten to the end yet!

1)Anything under the category of Army Men.

Y2Kevbug11
01-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by fingersman

You liked FF7 ending?? I can't fault you for your opinion or anything....but I played without a strat book and had to start over because I missed something ( can't remember what it was hmmmmmm) But after three discs and over 100++ hours ....I was like no way.....this the reward I get for playing though all of this? Sure half the fun is getting there....But i think for an adventurre game or RPG that the ending should be a little longer IMO.....and BTW what's to imagine in FF7 ending?? They grew old and died or the humans in the city committed mass sucide ..who cares?? the point is they all died or noone inhabited the city and the land had started to grow again...the point I'm making is that for extremly long good games that are story based ... I think the Game developers should put a lot more into the endings...or give you some sort bonus or something. :unsure: I'm sure most of you feel somewhat disappointed when you play a long enticing game and get some crap ending. I know I do.

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. You just follow the "default" path and say everybody died and that was it. Think a little! How do you know they didn't die, but Tifa and Cloud got married, and then 100 years later there was a great War the killed everybody and that's how everybody is dead? Use your imagination!

BlueFire
01-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Err....My friend says the FFX ending was purdy good...

Revival
01-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Ehh, I haven't beaten enough games to see too many endings, or even remember them :(

BreakABone
01-27-2002, 11:53 AM
I have never played Mario RPG but any other Mario games has a stupid ending.. Yes I mean they have little to no plot.. but they are damn good games..Yet they give you this damn boring endings.. which usually consists of Mario and Peach walking around and maybe one kiss if the man is lucky... I mean after all he been through only a damn kiss!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favorite endings would have to be Luigi's Mansion.. not for it's dramatic impact.. but ever since I can remember playing a Mario game.. the two brothers have never actually interacted with each other.. that was like the first true time I've seen emotions between the two of them......

Skies of Arcadia has a good ending... I mean Fina gets to be a pirate.. shows you the world rebuilding..tells you what happens to the friends you meet along the way and your crew...

Angrist
01-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Hehe... not really an ending, but the one from Super Mario World was pretty neat! You got to play the whole game again, now with funky colours!

And OoT's ending made me cry. :snif:

Ehm... another good ending... :confused:

Hey Xantar (who thinks May 3 is only 6 weeks away), do you mean StarCraft of StarCraft Broodwar?? I haven't seen any of them because I have a crappy illegal version without CD. :(

LoudHowardZERO
01-27-2002, 10:15 PM

You liked FF7 ending?? I can't fault you for your opinion or anything....but I played without a strat book and had to start over because I missed something ( can't remember what it was hmmmmmm) But after three discs and over 100++ hours ....I was like no way.....(Yadda yadda yadda)

I liked the ending.. it just could have been long and a little more built on to... mor elike 8 with a longer FMV, but this is a fairly old game so through the whole game there was a lack of FMV's and most of them were short.... it just needed to be longer I think...

N8
01-27-2002, 10:50 PM
MArio 64( that was just like Nes days ...when I saw it I was like this is it?? I stood in shock for 3 mins straight

the ending is usually the icing on the cake....and let's face it..no one really wants a cake without atleast a little icing on it ..now do they??

What are you talking about? Mario got cake, with icing too. Don't contradict yourself. If you say you want icing, don't complain about Mario 64. It was a big cake, so it had lots of icing. Heck, it even had a little doll of him on the cake sitting in the icing. I don't think any other game had more icing than Mario 64. Sheesh.

fingersman
01-28-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by N8

What are you talking about? Mario got cake, with icing too. Don't contradict yourself. If you say you want icing, don't complain about Mario 64. It was a big cake, so it had lots of icing. Heck, it even had a little doll of him on the cake sitting in the icing. I don't think any other game had more icing than Mario 64. Sheesh.

Very funny Nate. :rolleyes:
hehehe
And by the way Kev.....the point is that in FF7 they all died :p therefore the ending sucked :p

Angrist
01-28-2002, 09:58 AM
And by the way Kev.....the point is that in FF7 they all died :p therefore the ending sucked :p Now you spoiled it for me!! :mad: Oh well, wasn't going to play it anyway I guess... :(

fingersman
01-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Opps sorry man...... I should have put spoiler tag there.....oh well errrrrr........it's playing through the game that really counts. :sneaky:

Y2Kevbug11
01-28-2002, 04:11 PM
You cannot assume that. You know that in the end only Red is left, so obviously they did not ALL die. That leads me to ponder just how did Red survive? Easily enough, you can conclude that that didn't kill them because then it would have killed Red. So, what did kill them? See, you just jumped to the end and wasn't watching closely.

fingersman
01-28-2002, 09:19 PM
They all lived to a old age....and died in bed wetting their pants...and remembering summon chants and chobos. :p

Well no one will know how they died because Square didn't tell or show us..so it's pointless agruing about it....you thought that the game ending was good...I thought it was crappy and pondering over it isn't going to change either of our opinions. :p

Idiot
01-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Super Mario 64, had an excellent ending because of that brilliant, brilliant music. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon also had a pretty good ending, where legions of opera fans beated up your charachters. But, for my money, it's Zelda Ocarina Of Time that had the best ending. Also, an incidental note, the chords that are played at the end of Ocarina Of Time when it zooms up on the Master Sword, are the same as the chords played when the Starfox team fly into the sunset at the end of Starfox 64/Lylatwars.

Angrist
01-31-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Idiot
Also, an incidental note, the chords that are played at the end of Ocarina Of Time when it zooms up on the Master Sword, are the same as the chords played when the Starfox team fly into the sunset at the end of Starfox 64/Lylatwars. :eek: Gotta check that out!

Plastic0006
02-03-2002, 08:33 PM
If uve played skies of arcadia for the dreamcast then u know what i mean that game is tight ramirez was the coolest character and he had the coolset attacks.

Ric
02-04-2002, 09:06 AM
Best:

TLOZ: Ocarina of time.
TLOZ: Majoras Mask.
Banjo-Tooie. (Anyone want a kick-about?)

Worst:

I was really disappointed with the end of Perfect Dark, even more so when I completed it on Perfect Agent and nothing special happened.

Duck Hunt (NES) - Was there ever an end????

Jet Force Gemini - (Well ok I never seen the end but thats probably coz I cant kill Mizar GRRRRRRRRRR)

Angrist
02-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Worst:

I was really disappointed with the end of Perfect Dark, even more so when I completed it on Perfect Agent and nothing special happened.

Jet Force Gemini - (Well ok I never seen the end but thats probably coz I cant kill Mizar GRRRRRRRRRR)
PD: Yeah that really sucked! You shot that stupid pillar and THAT killed the Skedar king thingy.

DH: You can't find out: you NES will turn weird before you reach it.

JFG: I'm still trying to get some more of those bear things... well not really trying, haven't played it for months :)

DeathsHand
02-15-2002, 05:14 PM
What's all this talk about the FF7 ending?

What is so bad? They had the long thing where they were in the airship and blah blah and the life stream or whatever came out and destroyed meteor...

then fast forward through the credits and it shows Red with his cubs or whatever far into the future and if I remember correctly, they climb up a cliff overlooking a very run down and overgrown (with plants and crap) umm... Midgar, was it?

The ending wasn't red and stuff, the ending was them in the airship with the life stream thingy destroying meteor...

then the thing with Red and his cubs was a little extra FMV in the end that showed the fuuuture when red was the only surviving party member (because the animals in his race live a long time, right?) and showed that the evil Midgar that was sucking the life out of the planet was abandoned, so have no fear, the planet is still safe, Cloud and all of them had destroyed meteor and saved the world, and oh BTW, Midgar was still destroyed and they didn't just go right back to sucking the life out of the planet so yaaay..

.... right? :confused:

I dunno it's been years since I've last seen the ending :D

Yugi Starwind
02-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Favorite.......Hmmmm.....*rubs chin*
FF7!!!!!!!!
I loved it when I used Cloud's Omnislash in the end. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jason1
02-16-2002, 11:30 PM
Favorites: Zelda OOT, Half Life, Super Mario 64(hey, I liked it, sue me)

Sucky: Luigis Mansion

Matusha
02-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Ric
Best:

TLOZ: Ocarina of time.
TLOZ: Majoras Mask.
Banjo-Tooie. (Anyone want a kick-about?)

Worst:

Hey in the end Mizar is really one of the cute bear things.He is the brother of the magical one or whatever.I saw my brother beat the WHOLE thing.Game still sucked though.

azazela31
02-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Best ending ever...

Fallout 2 (depends on how you play... more than 60 endings)

worst... Doom... there was an ending??

Revival
02-24-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by azazela31
Not that I recall :unsure:, there might have been.

*goes to pick up Doom for GBA*
I'll find out :p

Ric
02-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by azazela31
Best ending ever...

Fallout 2 (depends on how you play... more than 60 endings)

I never have seen Fallout 2 in the shops, I have to get hold of a copy someday, I have Fallout.

Doom - You get warped into a dark room at the end and shot to death, not even the God Mode cheat can save you, yep pretty crap ending.

Yugi Starwind
02-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Actually, I beat the game in the room without god mode. I used the weapon cheat, with the BFG, I took out the level. The good way.

Ric
02-27-2002, 07:40 AM
I mean on the PC version not even the God Mode cheat or the BFG could save you, you died eventually because thats how the games programmed.

Perfect Stu
02-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Favourite ending ever: ICO

Revival
02-27-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Ric
you died eventually because thats how the games programmed.
I thought you could get out of dying..

Ice006
02-03-2003, 10:38 AM
That was only the demo version. Chapter 1. Chaper 3 got you some dodgy pic and some stupid text. Still worst ending ever.

Edit: Ah crap. Didn't realise I brought an old topic back from the dead until it was too late.

TheGame
02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Ice006
Edit: Ah crap. Didn't realise I brought an old topic back from the dead until it was too late.

lol, I do that a lot too :D

I go to "who's online" and see a guest looking at a topic... and without thinking I just reply to it

Rndm_Perfection
02-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Best Endings:
3) ToeJam & Earl - Genesis (Funkatron at last!)
2) Suikoden II "Best Ending" - PSX/2 (Great ending for a great RPG)
1) Valkyrie Profile "A Ending" - PSX/2 (It's a story of it's own... and epic it is!)

Most Disappointing:

3) Phantasy Star II - Genesis (Aaah, all fear the Earth Man)
2) Grandia II - Dreamcast/PS2 (It shouldn't end like that!)
1) Myst - PC/Saturn/Others... (The game takes ages... and all you get to do at the end is have "free exploration" of the place you've been stuck in for the whole game!!)

fingersman
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Wow someone did quite a bit of digging up for this thread to be revived.;)

Rndm_Perfection
02-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Hmmm, very true. That's almost a year's difference between Ice and "Revival" O_o... as appropriate as the names are.

CrOnO_LiNk
02-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Toe Jam and Earl.... Memories! :)

I am doing top 5 if you guys don't mind...

5) Parasite Eve
4) Xenogears
3) FF8
2) FF7
1) FF9 <--- (truly amazing ending!)

TheGame
02-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk

5) Parasite Eve

I started playing that game, but it weirded me out too much...

I haven't completed FF7,8, or 9... methinks I might buy them as soon as I finish with FFX (It'll be a while)

BreakABone
02-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TheGame

I haven't completed FF7,8, or 9... methinks I might buy them as soon as I finish with FFX (It'll be a while)

I thought you were buying Skies of Arcadia Legends and Zelda after you finish FFX, I thought you were keeping yourself on a strick gaming diet and here you are adding more games:p :D

CrOnO_LiNk
02-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by TheGame

Believe me, you should. FF7 is my favorite. I highly reccomend that. I honestly think there is no game on this planet that has a better story than FF7.

DarkMaster
02-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by CrOnO_LiNk
Believe me, you should. FF7 is my favorite. I highly recommend that. I honestly think there is no game on this planet that has a better story than FF7.
although it does have a good story, I think Chrono Cross beats just about every story I have ever witnessed in a game. Especially when combined with Chrono Trigger, its phenomenal.

BlueFire
02-08-2003, 11:39 AM
I agree that Chrono Cross has a great story (my favorite game).. FF7's ending was meh. It could've been better..