PDA

View Full Version : Think you're a hardcore gamer? Read on....

Shadow Fox
01-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Then check this out. This is one of the most interesting articles I've read about the state of gaming....

http://www.nintendose.net/commentary/reader/marcblanc01.shtml

Keep in mind that the author of this article is from the UK area (Ireland), so he has yet to see the launches firsthand...definately a good read; and every Xboxer and Cuber here should learn something from this.

Kudos to Marc Blanc for enlightening us all....

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

Ridley
01-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Yeah I read that about a week ago on N-Philes. It's very good and he raises some very good points too :D. Ya done good Marc :cool:.

quiet mike
01-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Isn't Marc actually our own Petit, Nova? He is in Canada, he's a french of origin, and has already seen the launch of all the systems

fingersman
01-26-2002, 04:46 PM
i was thinking the same thing quietmike. Well I hope you hard core gamers are taking notes. :D

GameKinG
01-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Marc is nova/petit/whatever

Xantar
01-26-2002, 05:11 PM
There's been a slight misunderstanding. Marc and I co-wrote that article as a sort of freelance team of writers. The personal experiences (playing games at Lechmere and so on) are mine, but we both contributed actual text to the thing. It was written sometime in the summer of 2001, I think. That's why the consoles hadn't launched yet from the point of view of that article.

Anyway, I gave Marc free reign to do what he wished with the article since I was busy with my fanfic writing. Apparently, Marc eventually submitted the article to RJ, and my name and the fact that it had been written long ago were somehow lost in the shuffle.

Revival
01-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Posted at Nintendose.net
Unless you are some freak in the videogaming world, there was a time when you didn't read gaming magazines or visit sites on the internet with names like "purevideogames.com."

Posted at Nintendophiles.com
Unless you are some freak in the videogaming world, there was a time when you didn't read gaming magazines or visit sites on the internet with names like "n-philes.com"

He seems to have submitted them to both sites, and just changed some wordings in them.

DeathsHand
01-26-2002, 05:49 PM
well I spend way too much time on videogame sites and forums and reading mags and stuff... and I spend what some people would probably consider way too much of my money on videogames...

But I rarely ever pre-order anything, and I'd NEVER wait in some crazy long line (the only time I waited for something was Silent Hill 2... I waited like 2 hours in the game store, but that's because the delivery guy came about 1 1/2 hours late with the shipment... and there was no line there... just like 1 other guy waiting too heh heh)... and I usually never buy a game without

a: Reading a lot about the game (meaning reading stuff about the game and judging for myself if it sounds cool, not just hearing if the person liked it or not)

b: renting it first...

and I'm pretty good at picking out the ones I like...

PS2 is already one of my fav. systems of all time... underneath PSX (which is weird cuz I can play my PSX games on PS2) and NES... I already have 11 games (usually around this time of owning a system... about a little over 5 months I think... I have like 2 or 3 games... and with N64 I might have even just had 1 game)... all of which I give at least a 7.5 (and most of them at least 8... the only ones which score under 8 would probably be Gran Tourismo 3 and Summoner, which I got for 17 bucks :p... oh, and maybe harvest moon, although i havn't had much time to actually get into the game much)... along with renting some games which range in score from about 7 (burnout) toooo... I dunno... pretty high (ICO, Red Faction, SSX tricky...)...

The main problem with people being let down with games and consoles is them getting big expectations... I never think like "THIS SYSTEM WILL BE BETTER THAN *insert my fav. system that the certain company has ever made*" or "THIS GAME WILL DEFINANTLY BE BETTER THAN THE FIRST!"... I just look at it like "Well I liked the other system, so I'll most likely like this one too" and usually I do... wether it's better or worse, I don't care, a good game is a good game...

'twas a good ready though... well, I kinda skimmed through it... :sneaky: I hope I got what the article was saying...

TheGrimReaper
01-26-2002, 10:54 PM
Yeah well I'm a casual gamer, but when Perfect Dark came out (Ahh, remember the 64 days?) I waited in the store for about an hour, then the guy said they had all been preordered :mad:! So I had to wait 6 months for a new shipment.

Ginkasa
01-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TheGrimReaper
Yeah well I'm a casual gamer, but when Perfect Dark came out (Ahh, remember the 64 days?) I waited in the store for about an hour, then the guy said they had all been preordered :mad:! So I had to wait 6 months for a new shipment.

Aww.... That's so sad.....

;)

TheGrimReaper
01-26-2002, 11:04 PM
It was, I nearly killed the guy who owned the store after 4 months.

marionette
01-27-2002, 12:48 AM
that's well said petit. as some people know, i hate reading..but i could actually sit there and read that without pressing x..

GameKinG
01-27-2002, 12:57 AM
The longest line I have ever waited in was for cube. I didnt think it was going to be long but it was long. Like 90-100 people. I was #12, not expecting it go past 20...Justa small hour trip. I dont go the day before...

I really dont even consider my self a hardcore gamer...just a person who plays games.

People read up on cars before they buy them, internet sites, newspapers, car dealers. They ussualy are not hardcore car drivers.

Anyway enough talk.

Revival
01-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by marionette
that's well said petit. as some people know, i hate reading..but i could actually sit there and read that without pressing x..
:eek: Just amazing ;)

Angrist
01-27-2002, 12:17 PM
I printed it. Going to read it when not on the PC. :)

marionette
01-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Shooter

:eek: Just amazing ;)

oh just go away!

:)

Revival
01-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by marionette
oh just go away!
Ummm.. no. :D

TheGrimReaper
01-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Angrist, read it when you are on the toilet, thats the most conftorble place.