PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft meets Xbox Sales Expectations

Bond
07-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Microsoft Corp. today announced its Xbox video game console sold at the higher end of its expectation, with 3.9 million units sold worldwide at the end of the fiscal year. Microsoft changed three months ago its forecast of 4.5 million to 6.0 million shipments to a shipment of 3.5 million to 4.0 million Xbox units by the end of June.

The company also announced revenue of $7.25 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2002, a 10 percent increase over the $6.58 billion for the same quarter last year.

Jonbo298
07-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Here is what I have to say.
:rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl:
Err....
I guess this is somewhat good, but still, downgrading expected sales then basically meeting those downgraded sales expectations wouldn't exactly make me feel good if I was per say an investor looking at these numbers. But I guess.

Perfect Stu
07-19-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jonbo298
Err....
I guess this is somewhat good, but still, downgrading expected sales then basically meeting those downgraded sales expectations wouldn't exactly make me feel good if I was per say an investor looking at these numbers. But I guess.

grow up fanboy

Joeiss
07-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

grow up fanboy

Haha... So true, so true.

But kinda not really.

Bond
07-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Err....
All companies overestimate the sales of products. And I don't see anyone 'rolling on the floor laughing' about Nintendo's shares having hit a year time low, but maybe there's a reason for that.

Jonbo298
07-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Ok, just to shut you all up here.
:bowdown::xboxsmili

:WHOA: A Nintendo "fanboy" doing that! OMFG!:WHOA:

bobcat
07-19-2002, 11:23 PM
Ok, just to shut you all up here.
:bowdown::xboxsmili

:WHOA: A Nintendo "fanboy" doing that! OMFG!:WHOA:

*prepares typical fanboy statement*

The Xbox is bigger than the person bowing to it.........

:unsure:

fingersman
07-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bobcat

THis stuff doesn't really interest me( It's good that M$ meet there predictions but it doesn't really have an impact on me)...neither does Nintendo shares hitting an all time low.

All I wanna know is that I have a Xbox or have access to a Xbox by the time Project ego and Panzer dragon comes out. :drool: :D

Bond
07-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bobcat

That's not a typical fanboy statement, I know what a typical Xbox fanboy statement would be. That is a person trying to act like a fanboy.

bobcat
07-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Bond

That's not a typical fanboy statement, I know what a typical Xbox fanboy statement would be. That is a person trying to act like a fanboy.

Well in order to prepare such a statement, one would have to try and act like a fanboy :unsure:

:sneaky:

Nine Inch Nail
07-21-2002, 05:46 PM
IMO, a true gamer shouldn't care about the sales aspect of games, but rather the experience they have with games :D (and really, that's all the consumer should care about).

Heyyoudvd
07-21-2002, 10:16 PM
You do realize that that's 3.9 million shipped, not sold, right?

That's pretty bad. Initially, Microsoft expected 4.5 to 6 million SOLD by this time. Then, that figure was downgraded to 4 million SOLD. Now, they even missed this downgraded expectation, with only 3.9 million shipped (about 3-3.5 million sold)

Bond
07-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd
You do realize that that's 3.9 million shipped, not sold, right?

That's pretty bad. Initially, Microsoft expected 4.5 to 6 million SOLD by this time. Then, that figure was downgraded to 4 million SOLD. Now, they even missed this downgraded expectation, with only 3.9 million shipped (about 3-3.5 million sold)
"with 3.9 million units sold worldwide at the end of the fiscal year."

This is an official press release, if you think 'about' 3-3.5 million units were sold do you at least have a source?

Heyyoudvd
07-21-2002, 10:56 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2875039,00.html

That says that 3.9 million Xboxes were shipped by June 2002.

I can't find a link to how many Xboxes have been sold, but I've seen the breakdown before.

it's about 2.4 million in North America, 250 000 in Japan, about half a million in Europe, and a few tens of thousand (not sure how many, but I think it was about 39 000 or something) in Autralia.

Bond
07-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Microsoft must had mad an error then in their reporting statement then. Because the article I posted was from their official press release. Gamespot could have always screwed up, which of course would not be very surprising.

But if you could find an official press release of your entire 'breakdown' that would be very helpful.

Shadow_Link
07-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Ok ok, think about it this way.

What this means is MS has 'shipped' 3.9 million to retailers, though this would mean that 'MS HAS SOLD' 3.9 million to retailers.

The actual amount 'sold by the retailers' is less.

Hence, 3.9 million have only been 'shipped', and somewhat less has been 'sold'.

Professor S
07-22-2002, 02:20 PM
MS has SOLD 3.9 million XBoxs to retailers.

Oh wait, Bond already posted that on the FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD.

Good lord:rolleyes:

Shadow_Link
07-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
MS has SOLD 3.9 million XBoxs to retailers.

Oh wait, Bond already posted that on the FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD.

Good lord:rolleyes:

Thanks for regurgitating what I said in the post 'above' you:rolleyes:.

Professor S
07-22-2002, 11:03 PM
My sarcasm wasn't aimed at you Shadow Link.

I just thought that 2 pages to reach the conclusion that was posted in the first post warranted a little more sarcasm:D