PDA

View Full Version : Penguin's Jet Set Radio Future Preview

BreakABone
01-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Hmm out of all the titles I believe that was the longest one I wrote today....
Anyhow....

When Sega announced it was going out of the hardware business in early 2001, they also announced that they would begin to support other systems. There support has already been seen on the GameCube with the release of Super Monkey Balls and the Japanese release of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. It will continue with the release of Sonic Advance for GBA and Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2 among other games.

One of the first Sega games for the X-Box is a sequel to an underrated DreamCast game Jet Set Radio. The sequel will be released in Feb 2k2 for the X-Box and is titled Jet Set Radio Future.

Jet Set Radio was a rather unique game on DreamCast. Not only for it's stylish cel shaded graphics but also for it's premise. The game involved rival gangs at war over territoty. These gangs marked their territory with spray paint all while skating on stylish inline jet skates.

The sequel plans to continue on with the unique premise and even better graphics. The characters in the game have aged since we last saw them in Jet Set Radio. You till play as the GG gang and have the DJ Professor K to help you with your missions. The characters till wear those jet skates which have learned a new trick since the last game. You are now able to skate vertical on poles and walls.

The graphics in the game have also imporved. The game still sports some great cel-shaded visuals seen in the original. Ofcourse, improved to make use of the extra power presented by the X-Box.

The original was also known for it's absolutely killer soundtrack. The sequel will also sport a rather hefty soundtrack.

The gameplay has been tweaked since the original. You no longer have to paint the walls with the press of the direction pad to correspond with the arrows on screen. In the sequel, the R button will paint the wall and you will just have to press it the number of times needed. This makes the main game a bit easier than the original but gives it a faster pace to match more with the action. The action will also be direct as there will be no interference from the cops during the normal levels like the original. Instead you will meet up with the law at the end on the level. In boss-like battles, you must take out all members of the police squad by spray painting them. The cop squad will be lead by the Luger weilding Rokkaku.

This game is shaping up to be as good as the original and even looks to exceed it in other aras. The gameis due in Feb for X-box.
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/bgjsrf05.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/radfuture2.jpg
http://www.coremagazine.com/news/screenshot.php3?image=jfl1.jpg

Screens Courtesy of IGN and CoreMagazine

Bond
01-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Great preview BaB, I can see you put a lot of work into it. :)

Y2Kevbug11
01-25-2002, 09:44 PM
When Sega announced it was going out of the hardware business in early 2001, the company also announced that they would begin to develop for other systems. Their support has already been witnessed on the GameCube with the release of Super Monkey Balls and the Japanese release of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. It will continue with the release of Sonic Advance for GBA and Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2 among other games.

One of the first Sega games for the Xbox is a sequel to an underrated DreamCast game, Jet Grind Radio. The sequel will be released in Feb 2k2 for the XBox and is titled "Jet Set Radio Future".

Jet Grind Radio was a rather unique game on DreamCast. The game was recognized not only for it's stylish cel shaded graphics, but also for it's premise. The game involved rival gangs at war over territory. These gangs marked their territory with spray paint, all while skating on stylish inline jet skates.

The sequel plans to continue on with the unique premise and even better graphics. The characters in the game have aged since we last saw them in Jet Grind Radio. You still play as the GG gang and have the DJ Professor K to help you with your missions. The characters still wear those jet skates which have learned a new trick since the last game- you are now able to skate vertical on poles and walls.

The graphics in the game have also improved. The game still sports some great cel-shaded visuals seen in the original. Of course, the cel-sheading techinque is improved to make use of the extra power available on the Xbox hardware.

The original was also known for it's absolutely killer soundtrack. The sequel will also sport a rather hefty soundtrack.

The gameplay has been tweaked since the original. You no longer have to paint the walls with the press of the direction pad to correspond with the arrows on screen. In the sequel, the R button will paint the wall and you will just have to press it the number of times needed. This makes the main game a bit easier than the original, but also gives it a faster pace to match more with the action. The action will also be direct, as there will be no interference from the cops during the normal levels like the original. Instead you will meet up with the law at the end on the level. In boss-like battles, you must take out all members of the police squad by spray painting them. The cop squad will be lead by the Luger weilding Rokkaku.

This game is shaping up to be as good as the original and even looks to exceed it in other aras. The game is due in Feb for Xbox.

I help fix it. Content wise, it's great. Grammatically, you had some errors. I did a quick proofread, so if I missed something, point it out.

BreakABone
01-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Hmm more info from EGM...

Looks like there are 3 types of levels in Jet Grind
1)The normal levels where your only goal is to tag up the place.
2)Character challenges which were also in the original. You try and match or mimic the stunts of another skater. If you are able to they will join the group.
3)The cop/boss battles which I explained before.

I asked Bond about this yesterday but the composer clarified it. The game will not ulitizy the X-Box's ability to rip music.

The turbo boost is now faster but will lose 10 cans instead of the one in the original.

Hmm I'm surprised I missed this, but the game will sport multiplayer options. Such as cooperative and competitve modes for 2-4 players.

Shadow_Link
01-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Great preview BaB. I knew from the begining that this would be one of the few games I was truly waiting to get my hands on for the Xbox! And now I want it just that bit more :D...

Pretty dissapointing that you can't rip the music though :( Actually, why would you want to? The sound track is great anyways!