PDA

View Full Version : Copying CD's...

Shadow_Link
07-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Ok, I bought the recent Korn album 'The Untouchables' recently, and I wanted to make a back up of it, while also using it for my car. But for some odd reason, the CD isn't copying.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or any way around it?
Or has some new kind of technology been used in the CD to prevent the copying of the CD? From what I know, what I am doing is legal, so any help?

Oh, and the CD doesn't even copy to the hard drive let alone directly to a blank CD.

gekko
07-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Many new CDs have this new technoilogy that prevents you from making it into MP3s and copying it.

And what you're doing is technically illegal, but it's no big deal. Record companies really only dislike people distributing music.

Null
07-08-2002, 04:13 PM
just seach the internet, they have ways of copying all that junk around somewhere.

try CloneCD or ummmmm yea. lol. happen to have Nero? that program always seems to do the most from what i've seen.

if worse comes to worse just download all the songs and make your CD that way. :P

but im sure theres a way to make a copy of the cd. there always is

Shadow_Link
07-08-2002, 04:30 PM
If worst comes to worst I will just have to carry the real copy around with me.

And Gekko, As long as I have purchased the CD, it is fine for me to copy the CD as a backup.

gekko
07-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
And Gekko, As long as I have purchased the CD, it is fine for me to copy the CD as a backup.

Fine, yes. Legal, no.

sdtPikachu
07-09-2002, 01:15 AM
Gekko is right. You are not allowed to coipy the CD in any way shape or form, even for "backup purposes".

Sh1t, just imagine what could happen if more peopel did this - whilst you're listening to the CD in your car, your DAD could be listening to the SAME CD at home.

I mean, just imagine your dad listening to the same music you do...! Unthinkable.

Go with CloneCD or Nero. And since they're not commercial apps, most Linux burner sofware will piss all over any protection.

There are also benefits to using particular makes of CD burners; last time I heard, Plextor were good.

Shadow_Link
07-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Then why the hell are CD burners legal? :confused:

Don't you 'copy' CD's with them.

I mean, ok, they are very useful for backing up work on your hard drive, but if that was so, then why do companies offer computers with one CD burner and a normal DVD/CD drive, because that way, you can copy directly from a CD to CD.

I always thought keeping back ups was legal :D.

Ah who cares, I ain't gonna sell them or anything, and I only put them in my car CD changer. It's such a hassle carrying CD's around, and having to keep on putting them in, or taking them out of the CD changer. As far as I'm concerned, I have spent my money on the original, and copying the CD is for my convenience :D.

*Downloads Nero*

It's funny though, I managed to burn all the other CD's I bought lately without any trouble :unsure:

Bube
07-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Ummm, did you try to copy the files directly to your hard drive, or did you convert them to mp3s? Sorry, I know it's obvious, but you didn't mention that in your first post, so I thought I'd ask.

If you did, then it's probably the reason gekko said. I read that all CDs will be having some kind of protection.

Shadow_Link
07-09-2002, 01:49 PM
No, I always copy them directly from one CD to another blank one.

Oh, and I even tried copying it to the hard drive, which didn't work. Even stranger is the fact I can't even listen to the CD on my computer.

GameMaster
07-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Got a permanant marker? A specific mark on a specific part of the CD should bypass/hack/shutdown any "security" this CD has been pumped with. I don't where you put the mark though. I think someone here had the website a couple moons ago.

sdtPikachu
07-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Yeah man, you got a copy-protected disc. They're designed not to be able to play in any computer (you should count yourself lucky it didn't lock up your computer meaning you had to take your CD drive to bits - this happened alot with the Celine Dion alum).

Depends on the copy protection, but you might be able to kill it with the felt tip pen method.

My advice? Bitch at them. Say you bought this CD, only to find it wasn't a CD, and now you can't play it (you could even add the sdtPikachu truism that my computer is the only CD player I have), and demand your money back.

"As far as I'm concerned, I have spent my money on the original, and copying the CD is for my convenience"

...but at the inconvenience of the RIAA. If you want two CD's, buy 2 CD's they think. Obviously this if totally fscking ludicrous, but the law is the law. Twats.

Just think, if a million people make personal backups than CEO of Bloody Filthy Rich Records can only afford two new Ferrari's this year, whilst the wealth of untapped talent sitting about continue to do just that.

I hate the RIAA.

Shadow_Link
07-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Yeh, tell me about it!

Well, I managed to get around not being able to play it on my PC, it was just a matter of playing the CD in the normal windows cd player, but I would have to leave the CD in before turning on the computer so it wouldn't load automatically. It automatically opens up in WMP, but always fúcks my computer up (pardon my french :D), and if I open it in Real, my computer will freeze.

Jonbo298
07-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Does it include that software simliar to what I think the Fast and The Furious soundtrack had? Where it would only play with their software on the CD, and after you were finished, it would close it no matter what.

BlueFire
07-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Hmm...that's strange. When I copied Untouchables for myself, I didn't have a single problem copying it. Plus, the copied CD works fine. :confused:

Shadow_Link
07-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BLueFire
Hmm...that's strange. When I copied Untouchables for myself, I didn't have a single problem copying it. Plus, the copied CD works fine. :confused:

I managed to copy it. I had found out the real problem was my dvd drive :rolleyes:. So I just got a new one, and all is well :D.

-apu-
07-12-2002, 11:20 AM
i missed most of the conversation and wuz 2 lazy to read the rest but burning cd's isn't illegal.....phillips owns the CD label and they announced it is legal to make coopies of cds yet new "poison cd's" cam out a while ago, which you couldn't listen 2 on computer or burn, but phillips sued their asses and all is well:D

sdtPikachu
07-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Philips don't hold copyright over the data on the media though.

The law says you can't make illegal copies of the data, and if the company/whatever who made the data says it's illegal, it's illegal.

So no, as far as the RIAA are concerned, copying CD's in any way is illegal.

Twats.

Mikkey
07-14-2002, 03:47 PM
whatever protection crap they put on cds its gonna be cracked anyways so they should just give up