PDA

View Full Version : is this worth it?

-apu-
06-25-2002, 01:27 PM
I wanna computer...but i don't have enuf money to buy one..so i wanna rent one for the summer...but i don't no whether it's worth it or not...any help would be nice.
thx

The_Dunadan
06-25-2002, 05:26 PM
ppl let you rent pc's? no way its worth it. don't waste money renting one when you could use that money and save up a little more to buy or build one. what i'm saying is, save up for it, don't spend the money renting.

Kitana85
06-26-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm with Dunadan... anything you get, you'll have to give up.. the comp might also have problems you didn't know about... how ever much the rent would be, put that all towards a new computer... besides... if all you want is a comp... and it doesn't matter how good it is...(which, if you're renting one, it sounds like you'd be up for, you can get one for under $1,000.

Revival
06-26-2002, 04:16 PM
I'll sell you my crappy ass PC for $999 (Estimated value of my PC: 25¢)

sdtPikachu
06-26-2002, 11:41 PM
If you don't want a high end machine, you can build a low spec machine for next to nothing that will do everything except play games (and burn CD's, print, etc, if you factor the extra cost of the hardware you need for these).

In the UK, you can pick up a good quality upgradable Athlon mobo for £50, a 1 GHz Athlon for about £60, 256 MB RAM (if you need that much) for about £70, cheap nVidia for £25, cheap soundblaster for £10, s/h monitor for £70, keyboard £5, mouse £7, case £30, PSU £20, 40 GB HD £60, CD-ROM £25, floppy £10, Linux for free :D...

I wouldn't advide renting one personally though...

-apu-
06-27-2002, 04:19 PM
thx a lot...but i will need it for gaming....i already have one, but the problem is that it isn't "adequate" for gaming:(
866mhz
generic motherboard
TNT2-built in
Sound Blaster something-built in
and 256 SDRAM
i think i need a whole new system

Happydude
06-27-2002, 04:26 PM
lol....his system cant even run Counter Strike properly on a decent resolution (800 x 600):D

-apu-
06-27-2002, 04:49 PM
SHUT UP HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND STOP BEING SO DAMN HAPPY!!!!!!!!!:D

Bond
06-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by happydude666
lol....his system cant even run Counter Strike properly on a decent resolution (800 x 600):D
I can and I have nearly the exact same specs as apu. :D

Jin
06-27-2002, 05:15 PM
Apu's specs aren't all that bad. You should just hear what my specs are compared to his. :-o But hopefully things will change after I get a job and save up for a decent-good one

-apu-
06-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Bond

I can and I have nearly the exact same specs as apu. :D
Ya but u don't have cable internet do u now???i want dsl:( :( :baby: :baby: :baby:

Originally posted by Jin

Apu's specs aren't all that bad. You should just hear what my specs are compared to his:-o. But hopefully things will change after I get a job and save up for a decent-good one

if u think my specs are good i'm afraid to ask wut u'rs are:errr: :errr: :errr:

sdtPikachu
06-28-2002, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with Jin, your specs are respectable, and you should be able to run most games. Just don't expect 120 fps at 1600x1200...

Don't bother renting. Save up some cash and start to build your own... renting is just lining somebody elses pocket. I can understand renting for stuff you might only use occasionally, but IMO computers are essential, and you really should have your own.

Can you not just splurge on a high end graphics card now? Most games don't need a high speed processor (most will run just fine on a 450 MHz PII), you just need the GPU to get the graphics the game requires...

Argh that'll teach me to read posts to quicly... you'bve got an intergrated graphics card. : bangs head against wall :
Dunno if it was your choice or not, but I NEVER buy anything intergrated if it can be avoided. PC's were designed to be modular (although sadly the manafacturers are often trying to make this less the case), and I would never buy anything that told me what I could and couldn't upgrade (within reason!).

If you have an athlon chip, you could always buy a new mobo and put your CPU on that, and upgrade to a better processor (Athlon XP) later on, but this might restrict you to using "old gen" chips once the 64 bit chips come out.

Of course, if everything is integrated, you're pretty much fuXx0red. Yes, you do need a new system...!

Don't rent unless you absolutely have to, it's a waste of money.