Cool, it uses AA batteries!
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/wavebird_review_batteries_big.jpg

100 ft!
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/wavebird_review_range_fran_mid.jpg

So who bought one? :D

gekko
06-13-2002, 11:17 AM
I bought 2.

They seem to be better built than the normal controllers. Z button feels easier to press, joystick seems much more stiff, something changed with the D-pad, and the A button doesn't get stuck down.

Plus no wirey mess. If only the reciever box didn't make it ugly. Hopefully nexy system it will be built in.

Angrist
06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Doesn't the giant battery thingy get in the way??

You say the stick is stiffer (grammar?), but couldn't it be that the sticks of the other controllers got less stiff after playing with it for months?? Just wondering.

MAN I'M SO NERVOUS!!!!! :distress:

gekko
06-13-2002, 11:44 AM
No, usually controller have some wiggle to them from the start. This had none. It also seems harder to move when it's away from center, where all the wear occurs.

And no, the battery thing doesn't get in the way.

DeathsHand
06-13-2002, 01:49 PM
I think it sounds cool... You can use it from so far away (but who would play a game from 100 feet away? :p It's like one of those things that talks about how good it is... like in car commercials "IT'S FAST!"... yeah, and there's also a little thing called a speed limit)...

The battery thing on the back looks like it would get in the way though... Cuzza the way I put my middle fingers behind the controller... but I dunno maybe it won't :p

I don't need one though... *shrugs* But if like I had 4 controllers or something... well... if I had that many controllers, but I wasn't using them all, they'd be stuffed away in a drawer... So....

Ok I wouldn't ever need a wavebird no matter what...

But I guess if you wanna pay 10 bucks extra just to get rid of wires, then it's good... Or you wanna play from 100 feet away ;)

gekko
06-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Why I like it is cause my controllers sit on the floor, never organized. So It's like I play GC, they sit down. Then I play PS2, the cords cross over it. Then I play Xbox, and those add a ton of weight on top ;) Then I go back to GC, and it's tangled between other systems and weighted down.

Wavebird makes playing with your friends easy. Throw them a controller, have them pick a one of the channels for whatever player they are, then go.

DeathsHand
06-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by gekko
Why I like it is cause my controllers sit on the floor, never organized. So It's like I play GC, they sit down. Then I play PS2, the cords cross over it. Then I play Xbox, and those add a ton of weight on top ;) Then I go back to GC, and it's tangled between other systems and weighted down.

Wavebird makes playing with your friends easy. Throw them a controller, have them pick a one of the channels for whatever player they are, then go.

Yeah I guess if I had friends and all 3 consoles, I might get 1 or 2...

But I only need 1 controller... 1 NGC, 1 PS2... they sit on a little TV stand thing... NGC on top of PS2.... PS2 controller sits in front of PS2, NGC controller sits on the left of the PS2 controller... they rarely ever cross... :p

Angrist
06-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Well we only have 2 controllers now. We don't really need more (although we have 4 for the N64). Perhaps for our sisters one day. :unsure:

A nice color would be cool. :)

bobcat
06-13-2002, 06:06 PM

Yeh I know exactly wot ur saying. I got mine stacked on shelves. An Xbox, Ps2 and GC. Cords always get messy, so I gotta pack the controllers away.

Hey Gekko wot u got on Xbox? I haven't touched my Xbox at all since playing Halo and DOA3.

And I have to say this again............DOA3 is one of the worst fighting games going around.

I don't understand the concept of "power hits" with characters like Lei Fang. They are supposed to stun the character, but when I challenged my friend, he can block straight after I try to stun him with one of these moves. Wot's the bloody point!?!? Just makes me so mad, I hate that game now

Blix
06-13-2002, 06:41 PM
If it only had the rumble feature. :( Anyway, sounds good. I just odn't need one. :\

Joeiss
06-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis
If it only had the rumble feature. :( Anyway, sounds good. I just odn't need one. :\

It doesn't? WTF..... I thought all GCN controllers had built in rumble...

Drunk Hobbit
06-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Only sends info, not receive...hence no rumble...who knows if it could even fit it in there away...

gekko
06-13-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
Hey Gekko wot u got on Xbox? I haven't touched my Xbox at all since playing Halo and DOA3.

Amped
Burnout
Simpsons Road Rage
Halo
Gun Valkyrie
JSRF
World Series Baseball
MotoGP
DOA3
THPS 2x
Project Gotham Racing
Silent Hill 2

But don't think I play all of those. For my short review:

Amped - Sucks, don't even rent
Burnout - Decent, not the best racer avaliable
Simpsons Road Rage - Sucks, don't even rent
Halo - Good, me want keyboard
Gun Valkyrie - Haven't tried yet
JSRF - Good if you liked the original. If not, avoid it.
World Series Baseball - Hella sweet
MotoGP - Hella sweet
DOA3 - Sucks. Maybe rent to see the chicks
THPS 2x - Only bought cause it was $20
Project Gotham Racing - Not that great
Silent Hill 2 - Sucks, don't even rent

So as you can see, the controllers are mainly lying on the ground for WSB and MotoGP.

Lord Germano
06-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Sorry to be anal and all, but IGN said 90ft *covers face*

I cant find these things on any online stores. Which is poo, cause I want a couple. Little help?

gekko
06-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Ninteodojo had it at 108'6". I saw a big box at Funcoland, said works up to 20 feet away. Ya, it sure does.

And they're prolly sold out. Should've acted fast :)

Joeiss
06-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Ninteodojo had it at 108'6". I saw a big box at Funcoland, said works up to 20 feet away. Ya, it sure does.

And they're prolly sold out. Should've acted fast :)

All three stores near my house that sell videogames are all sold out of these babies....

These are selling fast.

GameMaster
06-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Nemesis

Rumble feature...don't care...I don't even notice it half the time. Sometimes, I would prefer no rumble. I definatley getting one of these.

Nine Inch Nail
06-20-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by GameMaster

Rumble feature...don't care...I don't even notice it half the time. Sometimes, I would prefer no rumble. I definatley getting one of these. The WaveBird controller looks pretty tight, and the reason you can play from so far away, and it always works is because it uses radio waves/signals (not infra-red waves like remote controlls).

The first good wireless controller...:D