PDA

View Full Version : Bash IGN, ver. 2.1 (with all glitches intact)

Shadow Fox
01-16-2002, 09:24 AM
I'm beginning to hate IGN for what they're doing now, and I've hoped you've noticed, too...

These guys have been holding E3 and Shoshinkai (Spaceworld) footage and screens for months now, and are JUST now releasing them. Why release something as new for January 2002 when it's really old (Metroid, Turok vids) from 2001? This makes my respect for this site even lower, even though their content is currently king-everyone goes there.

They've also been slowly trickling info back to the main page from insider's previous months and posting them as new stories again when $hit gets slow, so it seems like they're always "updated". And of course, there's the obvious twisting of the same info to make it more appealing for their respective sites (IGNxbox, IGNPs2, IGNcube), when there really is only one story (recent sales reports, multiplatform game announcements, and other status data)...

Wierder still is the fact that no other site has this "updated" info from more than 5-8 months ago. Was IGN the only online site that went to E3/Spaceworld backdoor conferences? Hell no. So where's the info? Think about it for a minute; something really fishy is going on.

I hope I'm not the only one who's noticed this. So defend or bash on in this thread!!!:mad:

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

fingersman
01-16-2002, 10:25 AM
That's why I usually go to cloudchaser and Nintendojo......and sometimes planetgamecube.....I check on IGN ocassionally to read the Q N A and the letters....and I also check for some gaming news which other sites seem not to have..but that's about it.

Xantar
01-16-2002, 01:00 PM
I only visit IGN for the media and some of their Insider stuff (like Gaming in Japan).

In my opinion, there was a time when IGN's integrity was almost as good as a print magazine's. They were reliable, their articles were well-written (with the exception of Brandon Justice), and they didn't insert their own little editorializing where it wasn't appropriate.

But now, they've been reporting rumors, the quality of their writing isn't so great, and the bias of the various sites is getting worse.

What's more, the server has been having problems.

Shadow_Link
01-16-2002, 02:24 PM
I have to agree on this... With everything you just said, I can't really add much more. I just hate to think what it will be around E3 2002 time... :mad:

Years back, they used to be so much more organised, much more intelligent in their articulation, and just the best around...

quiet mike
01-16-2002, 07:26 PM
I agree with the quality of service, but you can't judge them for whitholding videos from you. Those videos were taken at Spaceworld 2001 but why haven't you seen them on any other site either. Why not bash the entire videogame press.
The fact is that they were allowed to take footage, but forced to sign NDA (non-disclosure arrangments) and withold the footage until told otherwhise.

BreakABone
01-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Well if this is how you people feel..I would hate if anyone of you read the Nintendo Difference editorial..Argh that would be tough

gekko
01-16-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
I'm beginning to hate IGN for what they're doing now, and I've hoped you've noticed, too...

These guys have been holding E3 and Shoshinkai (Spaceworld) footage and screens for months now, and are JUST now releasing them. Why release something as new for January 2002 when it's really old (Metroid, Turok vids) from 2001? This makes my respect for this site even lower, even though their content is currently king-everyone goes there.

They've also been slowly trickling info back to the main page from insider's previous months and posting them as new stories again when $hit gets slow, so it seems like they're always "updated". And of course, there's the obvious twisting of the same info to make it more appealing for their respective sites (IGNxbox, IGNPs2, IGNcube), when there really is only one story (recent sales reports, multiplatform game announcements, and other status data)...

Wierder still is the fact that no other site has this "updated" info from more than 5-8 months ago. Was IGN the only online site that went to E3/Spaceworld backdoor conferences? Hell no. So where's the info? Think about it for a minute; something really fishy is going on.

I hope I'm not the only one who's noticed this. So defend or bash on in this thread!!!:mad:

Turok videos were released today. I would know because like IGN, I also get all of Acclaim's press stuff. It was released today. It was the movie from E3, yes, but just because it is shown at E3 doesn't mean it can be released. Acclaim had people making sure no one got any pics of video of the Turok screen. And they haven't published any old Metroid stuff. That was all recent releases too.

And everyone who sees info in the backdoor confrences do sign agreements. They'll recieve huge fines if they tell you the info. They know, and they know because Nintendo needs them for input. You know how many places knew about Mario Sunshine before Spaceworld? I know over 20. Yet, nothing was released. Hell, look at Magazines. They get new media, or announcements way in advance. If EGM is going to get an exclusive on say, Xbox, you know they saw that Xbox over a month in advance so they could get everything ready, and get the mag published.

IGN would give you the info if they could. But since they can't, don't bitch. You weren't supposed to see the few screens from Turok that you did until now.

nWoCHRISnWo
01-16-2002, 09:09 PM
I just plain hate IGN. IGNInsider is the gayest thing EVER. Yeah, I'm gonna pay some losers who revolve their life around a video game website to see some **** that I probably wouldn't care about and could get from a different site for free anyways. I'd get Insider, but I'm not what you call a "sucker."

gekko
01-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo
I just plain hate IGN. IGNInsider is the gayest thing EVER. Yeah, I'm gonna pay some losers who revolve their life around a video game website to see some **** that I probably wouldn't care about and could get from a different site for free anyways. I'd get Insider, but I'm not what you call a "sucker."

Of course you're not. You're just a loser whose life revolves around video games but is too poor, so you go around visiting numerous websites to get stuff.

Drunk Hobbit
01-16-2002, 09:39 PM
Well, Insider does some pretty stupid things sometimes. For example taking all the screen shots of Vexx from the Vexx website and making half of them for Insiders only when anyone can get them straight from the source.

nWoCHRISnWo
01-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by gekko

Of course you're not. You're just a loser whose life revolves around video games but is too poor, so you go around visiting numerous websites to get stuff.

My life revolves around video games? I own one of the four "next-gen" consoles, and I own two games for it. I'm a video game freak, eh? EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, I SPEND 24 HOURS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ON MY TWO GAMES I HAVE FOR PS2.

I'm too poor for what exactly? I'm nowhere NEAR poor. If you're implying the IGN guys are rich, you need to get out of your house once in a while.

And I visit numerous websites. Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahaha. I'll count them for you: IGN once ever week or so. That's about a whole one site I go to involving video games in a week.

Anyhoo enough about me. I hope you do realize you're what one calls a "loser." You have two copies of the same game on different consoles that you never liked the first time... Seriously man, are you retarded or what? I mean, I can see why you spend your money on IGNInsider, any moron who buys a copy of a game they hate TWICE is stupid enough to spend their money there.

And what's the best about this is that your life really does revolve around video games. You can't deny you spend hours a day on video game sites, you own one or used to, I don't remember if that piece of crap shut down yet, you're an administrator here or something and post often, and I'm sure you go to at least five other video game message boards. You own about 312 video game system and probably, what, 1000 games? Anyone who has time to play, or even collect all those obviously has no other life. Your idea of bragging is telling people Acclaim send you stuff of theirs at the same time IGN gets it. Everytime anyone has to know anything about video games, they can ask you, and that's not a good thing. They know nobody else spends as much hours being a loser as you do. You've even come to the point where you've made a friend in IGN, otherwise you wouldn't be so bitchy everytime anyone says anything bad about it.

Shadow Fox
01-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
Well, Insider does some pretty stupid things sometimes. For example taking all the screen shots of Vexx from the Vexx website and making half of them for Insiders only when anyone can get them straight from the source. Same thing for those "exclusive" Resident Evil GCN shots and movies...capcom.co.jp had them all the while, and IGN was charging for it...:mad:

Then there's conflicting news from one source of info....rather wierd interpretations for each IGN site....

gekko
01-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo

My life revolves around video games? I own one of the four "next-gen" consoles, and I own two games for it. I'm a video game freak, eh? EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, I SPEND 24 HOURS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ON MY TWO GAMES I HAVE FOR PS2.

I'm too poor for what exactly? I'm nowhere NEAR poor. If you're implying the IGN guys are rich, you need to get out of your house once in a while.

And I visit numerous websites. Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahaha. I'll count them for you: IGN once ever week or so. That's about a whole one site I go to involving video games in a week.

Anyhoo enough about me. I hope you do realize you're what one calls a "loser." You have two copies of the same game on different consoles that you never liked the first time... Seriously man, are you retarded or what? I mean, I can see why you spend your money on IGNInsider, any moron who buys a copy of a game they hate TWICE is stupid enough to spend their money there.

And what's the best about this is that your life really does revolve around video games. You can't deny you spend hours a day on video game sites, you own one or used to, I don't remember if that piece of crap shut down yet, you're an administrator here or something and post often, and I'm sure you go to at least five other video game message boards. You own about 312 video game system and probably, what, 1000 games? Anyone who has time to play, or even collect all those obviously has no other life. Your idea of bragging is telling people Acclaim send you stuff of theirs at the same time IGN gets it. Everytime anyone has to know anything about video games, they can ask you, and that's not a good thing. They know nobody else spends as much hours being a loser as you do. You've even come to the point where you've made a friend in IGN, otherwise you wouldn't be so bitchy everytime anyone says anything bad about it.

I don't feel like commenting on how incredibly stupid your post was. So I'll sum it up.

You consider someone who has a hobby he enjoys a loser. And worse yet, you consider IGN's editors losers because they have a job they enjoy. Interesting, most people would love to have that life.

And I don't defend IGN because I have a friend there. I defend IGN because you guys sit around bitching that they're not giving you good enough service, and you're using the service for free. You're not paying for this, so you can't say you're not geting what you paid for. Be happy their giving you the service that they do.

gekko
01-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
Well, Insider does some pretty stupid things sometimes. For example taking all the screen shots of Vexx from the Vexx website and making half of them for Insiders only when anyone can get them straight from the source.

Yes, but The Vexx website came out the day after the pics. Still, IGN seems to be splitting them 50-50 regardless of if they are at the source or not.