PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting Mario Kart 8

Blix
03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Lets get ready for some MK8 racing, madafakas! :D

Jason1
03-08-2014, 12:20 AM
When I purchase a WiiU I obviously will. Im hoping to have a Wii U by the time the game releases but we will see. I would love to see a Mario Kart 8 WiiU bundle!

Angrist
03-08-2014, 05:54 PM
IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWESOME!

I played 2 levels a few months ago and it was pretty awesome. It's the first MK I'll buy since Double Dash!

BreakABone
03-09-2014, 10:08 AM
I own pretty much every other one, and this looks extremely enjoyable.

I just hope they return FFA battle and Team Battle. Not sure why its one or the other

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhfvzxFIcAAVC-o.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhfwdp6IQAApyu1.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhfxm8HIYAAaZnO.png:large
https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1779236_596938993714172_1978807339_n.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bh0VpVeIQAARlhA.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bh-pWzRIYAAp0pm.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiI8PLwIMAA-d-w.png:large

Jason1
03-09-2014, 10:50 PM
On a related side note, anyone know any good online deals on purchasing a new Wii U? Best I have seen so far is on Newegg.com the Mario & Luigi deluxe set for $279.99. Only 20 bucks off but free shipping and im guessing no sales tax. Im thinking of jumping on this soon as I should get my tax return any day now...anyone seen any better deals anywhere? You would think there would be some deals out there considering how badly its selling...

Blix
03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I read somewhere that Nintendo is going to be selling refurbished Wii U's for $200. I don't know when that will start but I think they're the 32GB ones so that's awesome.

Jason1
03-16-2014, 09:35 PM
I read somewhere that Nintendo is going to be selling refurbished Wii U's for $200. I don't know when that will start but I think they're the 32GB ones so that's awesome.

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=212209&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=70706&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Thanks for the heads up...looks like they are selling them right now. I may have to jump on this.

EDIT: Went ahead and got it. That deal is really exactly what I was looking for, too good to pass up. I would rather it came with New super Mario bros U than Nintendoland, but eh I'll take it.

Vampyr
03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
I will definitely be picking it up at launch. The maps BaB posted look so cool. Can't wait to finally have an HD Mario Kart game.

BreakABone
03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=212209&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=70706&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Thanks for the heads up...looks like they are selling them right now. I may have to jump on this.

EDIT: Went ahead and got it. That deal is really exactly what I was looking for, too good to pass up. I would rather it came with New super Mario bros U than Nintendoland, but eh I'll take it.

NintendoLand is really fun

I don't know if it was the game the system needed at launch, but it is a pleasant surprise and much more robust solo than Wii Sports even

Angrist
03-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Nintendo Land is worth it if you have friends that are casual/no gamers. The multiplayer is superb.
Singleplayer is a bit meh if you'd ask me. Some games are just not worth your time.

Jason1
03-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Yea it looks alright I'll give it a look for sure, but im really excited about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Im a sucker for those old School difficult platforms. Im playing through Rayman Legends on PS3 right now and enjoying it greatly.

Vampyr
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I picked up Tropical Freeze and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It just feels very blah. The level design is uninspired, it's just a very generic platformer. Most of the difficulty comes from trial and error because the levels do unexpected things and don't give you any clues that's of what's about to happen.

It's very difficult in a very frustrating way. After playing Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong just feels really subpar.

Jason1
03-25-2014, 11:26 PM
I picked up Tropical Freeze and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It just feels very blah. The level design is uninspired, it's just a very generic platformer. Most of the difficulty comes from trial and error because the levels do unexpected things and don't give you any clues that's of what's about to happen.

It's very difficult in a very frustrating way. After playing Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong just feels really subpar.

That's a bummer to hear. Although its kind of just the nature of the Franchise right? I mean past DK games have been similar to this. I just played through Rayman Legends on PS3 and many of the levels in it are similar...its some skill but also a lot of trial and error, especially the on rails levels. (or levels where you have a time limit or fire wall chasing you forcing you to run through the level at a quick pace) That being said the trial and error doesn't really bother me too much so im going to pick up DKC Tropical Freeze at some point. May pick up Super Mario 3d world first, not sure yet.

In other news, I just got my Refurbished Deluxe Wii U today! I think a steal for $217 total (that's total, after taxes and shipping) So far I have only hooked it up installed the system update and played around with some of the features. Havent even tried Nintendoland yet. Vamp im going to add you as a Friend. I ordered the Refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo and besides there being no system stand and Gamepad charger / cradle thingy, there is NO indication WHATSOEVER that its refurbished. System and gamepad were spotless. Everything seemed to be in the original shrink wrap, NintendoLand was fully shrink-wrapped. Only thing I noticed that seemed a bit odd was that the descriptions on the box were in Spanish 1st, English 2nd. Some if the loose packaging that was packaged in with the manual were all in Spanish (the sheet of paper that would normally tell you in big letters to call the help line before you return the product to the store, ect) Im thinking the box (and possibly the system and gamepad itself?) were originally packaged as a Mexican or South American model or something. Nintendo is one company I would buy refurbished with complete confidence. And they must be selling a lot of these refurbs because you can still buy one today from their website, plus the box looks just like what I expected the Deluxe WiiU box to look like, but they printed on the box itself (not a sticker someone slapped on) it says in Spanish / English in big letters Refurbished Product. So they are actually printing a separate box for these Refurbs.

Anyone long story short anyone on the fence about buying a Wii U go buy one: http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=212209&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=70706&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

BreakABone
03-25-2014, 11:56 PM

I r disappoint.

I prefer 3D World, but I really liked Tropical Freeze.
Great levels, some fun visuals, amazing music.

Blix
03-27-2014, 02:09 AM
I just got DK: TF yesterday and from the little I have played it seems to be very well made. Also, thanks for that link. I'll show it to some friends of mine. And I'm glad to be of help. Let me know when you want to play something online. I have MH3U and CoD: Ghost for online.

Vampyr
03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
I r disappoint.

I prefer 3D World, but I really liked Tropical Freeze.
Great levels, some fun visuals, amazing music.

I just don't think the levels are great. It feels like Generic Platformer 101. The other Kong's powers are also not used very creatively, and there's a risk/reward imbalance where some crazy difficult stunt you need to pull off will reward you with a single coin or something (which I have a ton of already.)

When you look at truly great platformers, like Mario or Super Meat Boy, there's a progression system in place where the game subtly clues you into the more difficult mechanics by having you do a certain movement a few times, so that when the difficult section comes up, you kind of know what you need to do to get passed it, because you've done a simplified version already. That's what makes great levels.

DK has none of that. The game just throws really difficult stuff in your face over and over that you had no way of anticipating. Each level is a series of trial and error. There are some sections that feel like they should be very fast paced and great, but they are so broken up by dying and retrying that it ruins any sort of thrill or speed that you might have developed.

The boss fights are also painfully long. You get 3/4 of the fight, then the boss does something crazy and unexpected, you die, and then redo the whole thing. At least it's consistent with the level design in that regard.

And that fucking rhino controls like crap.

Jason1
03-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I just don't think the levels are great. It feels like Generic Platformer 101. The other Kong's powers are also not used very creatively, and there's a risk/reward imbalance where some crazy difficult stunt you need to pull off will reward you with a single coin or something (which I have a ton of already.)

When you look at truly great platformers, like Mario or Super Meat Boy, there's a progression system in place where the game subtly clues you into the more difficult mechanics by having you do a certain movement a few times, so that when the difficult section comes up, you kind of know what you need to do to get passed it, because you've done a simplified version already. That's what makes great levels.

DK has none of that. The game just throws really difficult stuff in your face over and over that you had no way of anticipating. Each level is a series of trial and error. There are some sections that feel like they should be very fast paced and great, but they are so broken up by dying and retrying that it ruins any sort of thrill or speed that you might have developed.

The boss fights are also painfully long. You get 3/4 of the fight, then the boss does something crazy and unexpected, you die, and then redo the whole thing. At least it's consistent with the level design in that regard.

And that fucking rhino controls like crap.

Sounds like someone just sucks at old school platformers :lol: Time will tell tho I went ahead and purchased Super Mario 3d world 1st so I'll be getting DKCTC at a later time so I don't want to throw your comments out the window until I play it. But Vamp let me ask have you played Rayman Legends? MANY of the levels in it are a lot of trial and error also but I love it anyways. Games are getting too easy anyways. I wouldn't want to see an easy DKC game.

Vampyr
03-28-2014, 07:51 PM
I haven't, it's on my to play list. I typically enjoy difficult games, especially platformers. Dustforce is a fantastic game. I just don't like frustrating styles of difficulty. I want a difficulty that demands me to be good, not demands me to inch through a level dying in unexpected ways.

BreakABone
04-03-2014, 04:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYBz6HWBw3A

New trailer

Angrist
04-03-2014, 05:33 PM
So much new stuff, it looks awesome!

Shadow_Link
04-10-2014, 09:40 PM
God it's been a long time!

Definitively buying this game when I get the time!

BreakABone
04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JbuJZP0_8iQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New Nintendo Direct on it
Big take aways

-Register the game on Club Nintendo before July 31st and get one of several Wii U retail games for free (For us in the States NSMBU, WWHD, Pikmin 3 or Wii Party U)
-New characters include Pink Gold Metal Peach and Baby Rosalina
-The new superhorn item can block blue shells which is awesome-sace
-Has voice chat, which in this day and age is sad to have to confirm, but Nintendo.
-Has the ability to create and host your own tourneys
-Stickers

Angrist
04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Mario Kart TV, I called it! :D With slow-mo it's even better than I hoped.

(Now if only they'd be so smart as to implement it into TVii...)

Awesome looking game, great direct. :)

Jason1
04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
That's great that they are giving a game away free like that. I'll probably get Pikmin 3.

Angrist
05-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Pikmin 3 is awesome. I'll probably be getting The Wonderful 101! I thought about getting Nintendo Land digital and selling my physical copy, just so I don't have to swap the disc all the time when friends come over.

Ginkasa
05-03-2014, 03:49 AM
God it's been a long time!

Definitively buying this game when I get the time!

Almost a month late, but...

Hey!

BreakABone
05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tWn0FD_M5_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty decent options for custom matches

Jason1
05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Just so everyone Knows, if you pre order Mario Kart 8 from Dell.com , you get a $25 egift card which I assume you can only use on Dell's website, but still.

Also, if you pre order from Best buy, (online OR in store), you get a $10 Gas gift card redeemable for $10 in gas at any gas station.

This is all not to mention the free digital game downloaded included with purchase! Pretty good deals on a brand new game...

I actually opted to go with the Best Buy offer that way I can pick up in store on release date rather than having to wait to have game shipped. :)

BreakABone
05-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Just over a day left unless some of you got it early.

Blix
05-29-2014, 01:57 AM
Just over a day left unless some of you got it early.
I'll get it on launch day. See you all in the circuits. :P

Angrist
05-29-2014, 11:53 AM
I've had it since yesterday. It's so pretty!

Jason1
05-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Im pretty pumped about this one. Might play through solo before I mess with online however. Im picking up tomorrow but im kinda busy this weekend

Vampyr
05-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Should be home when I get back today - can't wait!

Blix
05-31-2014, 01:08 AM
I played a bit and it's awesome. I'll play more tomorrow. I had a long day at work today.

Angrist
06-01-2014, 07:00 AM
My NNID: Canyarion! If you invite me via Miiverse, I'll get a message and I'll accept you right away. Easiest way to add friends imo.

The online was very unstable this morning. I hope they fix it, because this felt more like Mario Kart: Communication Error.

BreakABone
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
My NNID: Canyarion! If you invite me via Miiverse, I'll get a message and I'll accept you right away. Easiest way to add friends imo.

The online was very unstable this morning. I hope they fix it, because this felt more like Mario Kart: Communication Error.

I thought Miiverse was the only way to add someone?

But digging the game

Star Cup has the best selection of tracks for me

If they switched out Sunshine Airporty for Cloudtop Cruisie would be perfecto!

Jason1
06-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Just added you. Right now im only friends with "Danny" (Cant remember who that is?) and of course Penguin.

Is there anyone else on GT whos got a Wii U? My Nintendo Network ID is stljason1 if anyone wants to add me

Vampyr
06-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I think Danny is BlueFire/TakeGiantSteps.

My ID is Valabrax.

Jason1
06-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Vamp I could have sworn I added you when I first got my WiiU but the request expired. I'll add you again.

Vampyr
06-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Vamp I could have sworn I added you when I first got my WiiU but the request expired. I'll add you again.

I might have never saw it - I didn't turn my Wii U on for a while after the initial purchase during the doldrums of no games.

Angrist
06-05-2014, 03:24 AM
There were two ways of adding people: invite them through Miiverse, where they got a message saying they got invited; or add their ID in the friend menu, where you just had to wait until the other person did the same thing. He wouldn't get a notification.

It seems like they have fixed that, but that explains why some friend invites never got through.

Jason1
06-05-2014, 08:04 PM
There were two ways of adding people: invite them through Miiverse, where they got a message saying they got invited; or add their ID in the friend menu, where you just had to wait until the other person did the same thing. He wouldn't get a notification.

It seems like they have fixed that, but that explains why some friend invites never got through.

Are you sure about this. So far everyone I have added has been through the friend menu...I dont really use Miiverse. I think it says something along the lines of "waiting for response" which would indicate to me the other person gets some sort of Notification...Angrist, I just recently added you and your now my friend so...you tell me, did you get a notification or did you have to input my network id yourself?

In other news: Holy communications error Batman! Online was nearly un-playable last night. The first time I tried online about 4 nights ago though, it worked fine.

BreakABone
06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Are you sure about this. So far everyone I have added has been through the friend menu...I dont really use Miiverse. I think it says something along the lines of "waiting for response" which would indicate to me the other person gets some sort of Notification...Angrist, I just recently added you and your now my friend so...you tell me, did you get a notification or did you have to input my network id yourself?

In other news: Holy communications error Batman! Online was nearly un-playable last night. The first time I tried online about 4 nights ago though, it worked fine.

It might be a newer thing

And online has been pretty stellar for me
Granted, don't play a ton of it yet

Jason1
06-05-2014, 11:16 PM
It might be a newer thing

And online has been pretty stellar for me
Granted, don't play a ton of it yet

Yea im still trying to earn 3 stars on all of the CC's in Gran Prix mode. We need to have a GT night sometime though!

Angrist
06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Are you sure about this. Pretty sure, but that was in the beginning of the console. I had people who I added, but they never added me.

But they changed it.
Anyway, I don't ever see you guys online. :P I think, it's hard to recognize everybody in MK8. Today I was racing a friend from Oregon who kept changing funny Miis. ^_^

BreakABone
06-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Pretty sure, but that was in the beginning of the console. I had people who I added, but they never added me.

But they changed it.
Anyway, I don't ever see you guys online. :P I think, it's hard to recognize everybody in MK8. Today I was racing a friend from Oregon who kept changing funny Miis. ^_^

Probably because of the vast time difference? :P

Jason1
06-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Just an FYI, maybe nobody cares, but if anyone Pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 from Best Buy like I did, and got the free $10.00 gas card (which was emailed to you as some sort of digital Mastercard thing), you can actually use the card anywhere. Doesn't have to be for Gas like the printout says. For instance, I just purchased a $10.00 Amazon gift card for myself, and it worked perfectly. I just entered it in like it was a new Credit card.