Angrist
12-02-2012, 06:30 AM
:)

Teuthida
12-02-2012, 11:52 AM
So I see you were successful.

BreakABone
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
So I just wanted to respond to this thread.

Ginkasa
12-08-2012, 01:56 AM
So, I just recently moved into a duplex and I'm not exactly happy with it. We were sort of rush into moving due to multiple reasons (such as, for much of the year I thought I might be moving to another state for this or that reason and didn't want to sign a lease anywhere, but we needed the space, but I really didn't want to go through the trouble of moving, but a second baby's coming any day now and it'd be more difficult with two kids and we really need more space, etc.).

We were looking at a place that was nicer, but unfortunately the owner didn't like cats and I like my cat, so we didn't move there. Then my wife found the one I'm currently in and we looked at it and, as I implied in the my parentheses above, it was now or never, so we signed a lease and whatnot without doing as much research as we should have.

Unfortunately, that plan backfired and we discovered multiple maintenance issues the day we moved in. So far, property management has been pretty loathe to even acknowledge that I have issues here, so yay for last minute moves. A quick internet search that of course I didn't go before signing a year long financial and legal obligation revealed this is kind of their MO. I have researched some options in case the fit hits the shan, but things haven't gotten that serious.

So, yeah...

Seth
12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear that Ginkasa. Hope you find a way to solve those issues. Anything that you are able to do with some home tools and a bit of research?

Combine 017
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Ginkasa. Hope you find a way to solve those issues. Anything that you are able to do with some home fuels and a bit of matches?

fixed*

Ginkasa
12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Sorry to hear that Ginkasa. Hope you find a way to solve those issues. Anything that you are able to do with some home tools and a bit of research?

The biggest issues were multiple leaky faucets. I was able to cut off the water to one of the leaky sinks, but I couldn't do anything with the bath tub that was leaking. This was obviously our priority due to the potential costs of it simply not getting fixed.

Fortunately, we finally were able to get maintenance out today and he was able to get those corrected fairly quickly. He was also able to "fix" my bedroom door. It had a massive gouge in one side that left a lot of sharp splinters and such sticking out. I wasn't excited for the possibility of my one year old son stabbing himself in the face or something such as. Of course, the guy fixed it by screwing another piece of wood the gouge. Its not measured right, so it drags a little on the floor, but whatever. I don't own it.

The final major bit is the fence in the back. Its a chain link. One of the back corners is all bent and broken, so there's a bit of a gap between mine and the people to back right of me's yards. I wouldn't be too worried, personally, but a big incentive for moving out of an apartment was having a backyard for my (wife's) dog. Alas, the gap is just big enough for him to get through.

We had tried some temporary fixes, but we had issues (primarily the crazy lady to the back left of us who refuses to allow us to attach anything to "her" fence). It doesn't look like maintenance will actually fix the fence (may be they don't own it? I don't know), but is looking at jury rigging it. He needed to research whether they needed to actually worry about the crazy lady, or if they can just throw something on there.

Anyway, its good that some things got (sort of) taken care of, but I'm still not thrilled at the thought of sticking around here much longer than I need to.

Angrist
12-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Argh, I'm such an idiot! I missed 12-12-12 12:12:12! I was watching this stupid Walking Dead episode and it totally slipped my mind.

Vampyr
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Argh, I'm such an idiot! I missed 12-12-12 12:12:12! I was watching this stupid Walking Dead episode and it totally slipped my mind.

Thanks for the warning, I'm in the past so I have time to prepare.

@Ginkasa: You need to call Mike Holmes.

Ginkasa
12-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Alas, I rent.