PDA

View Full Version : Issues with drivers for my laptop after reinstalling Windows

ZebraRampage
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
So I decided to reinstall Windows 7 this weekend. I completely wiped the hard drive after backing it up on two separate external hard drives, and creating a recovery disc and a system image.

I reinstalled Windows 7 using a disc that I was able to get from a friend, and it has an activation key. The reinstall went fine, but the problems started when i tried installing drivers from Sony's website. My laptop is a Sony Vaio F Series laptop btw. Anyway, the main issues is that the driver for the wifi isn't installing correctly. There's the main driver, and then an update. They both install, but the utlity it provides to turn the wifi on and off isn't working. I also noticed in the device manager that the "Network Controller" is under Other Devices, and it isn't installed. When I tried to install it, it failed. I'm kind of stuck right now since I really don't think I should be having issues with the drivers. Anyone have any idea where I should go next?

My warranty is gone, so if I call Sony it's going to cost me money to have this fixed by them. I also know it isn't a hardware issue since it was working fine before I reinstalled Windows.

manasecret
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
So the drivers did or did not install? Is the issue only that the utility to turn the wifi on and off doesn't work?

Can you connect via wifi at all?

ZebraRampage
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
So the drivers did or did not install? Is the issue only that the utility to turn the wifi on and off doesn't work?

Can you connect via wifi at all?

I found out that Sony posted the wrong wireless driver for my laptop model..

It took a bit of research, but after I installed it I called them up to tell them about it. Of course it was a foreigner.

Everything has been reinstalled, and now I have a huge amount of hard drive space. I think all the programs on the hard drive were taxing the space with extraneous crap. It's nice to have a clean hard drive with no bloatware on it as well.