PDA

View Full Version : Whatchu doing this Summer

Typhoid
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Even if it's mundane shit like wiping the shit from your kids ass, or arguing with your wife over money problems. Confide in the forum. Gloat about the great activities you are doing, or have done. Inquire into the happenings of others.

So far I haven't done much lately. Walked around the Seawall a little bit, Went camping for a weekend with 20 people, had some good times, Went away for a weekend into a resort in the Rockies which was faaaantastic. Just 6 people having a solid weekend in a nearly empty resort-town. It was completely worth the 9 hour drive.

Other than that all I've been doing is working on re-strengthening my back and fixing that whole situation, and getting out and seeing people again now that I'm able to be mobile a bit longer.

Anyone going on any trips, or been on any?

BreakABone
08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Got to check out the Wii U.. at a private event in the city, which was pretty swank.

Went to Chicago for a week for vacation. Checked out all their great sights.. including their new game bar.

Found a Superhero shop in Brooklyn. If you're FB friends with me.. you already saw my new pic from it.

Teuthida
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Jury Duty.

Dylflon's wedding invites.

Ended up in the hospital where I tripled the number of women to have handled my scrotum.

Became crippled from the meds I was given and ended up back in the ER. Couldn't use my hands for almost two months.

Watched a crapton of movies and tv during the above.

May visit family in California. But then again I hate California.

Now I just have a lot of work to catch up on.

Typhoid
08-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, problem established.
18 views, 2 replies.
No wonder this place is dead.
People don't even want to converse about what's going on with one another. :lol:

I've noticed that due to facebook and twitter people as a whole tend to have lost conversation skills, and everyone just simply "talks" in the form of twitter updates. Single line statuses, that type of thing. A rush of information in as few words as possible. No flair the conversation, no inflection. No intention to even make it seem like a normal chat - just pushing out information in less than 4 sentences at a time.

Then again I'm having a bad day and maybe I'm just being far too cynical towards the whole process and how the internet is slowly ruining people and their ability to actually talk. (Hell, remember when people were allowed to have an opinion without getting ripped? Now you can't say anything negative or you're an asshole. Can't give a bad review of a movie, because people like it. Can't give a good review of a movie, because people hate it. Our culture has grown to be so hate-filled. At least with British culture it's tongue-in-cheek, and the hateful comments are made out of friendship. Twitter has turned North American culture into everyone just being an asshole all the time every chance they get simply to impress people they don't give a shit about.)

Edit: Re-reading that, I want to point out I wasn't trying to single either of you guys out, or rip on you. It was just in general I meant that.

Teuthida
08-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Nah, you're right. I have similar conversation with Babs every so often on AIM (I'm so out of touch. Do folks not use that anymore?) about trying to get people to comment on NOTR. They rather just tweet their twat directly to him about an article.

There's also reddit. Outside of the memes some folks hold actual conversations. There's no real community though. The days of forums like this are long over. :(

But yeah, I can't hold a conversation to save my life. I basically talk with only two people on a daily basis.

....I did respond though. Added content....yay?

What did we use to talk about? Games? I don't play them anymore so I have nothing to add. In the old days it was all about upping your post count. That's what got people to post. On reddit you have karma. I still don't get twitter.

Typhoid
08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
....I did respond though. Added content....yay?

Like I said, I really wasn't directing that at you guys. It wasn't a hint or anything. It was just a blahblahblah.

What did we use to talk about? Games? I don't play them anymore so I have nothing to add.

Enh, Gametavern can be as much about literal games as reddit is about the colour "red". (yes I know it's a play on "read it", and not actually the colour red, just sayin'. 'GameTavern' is simply a name. The content inside shouldn't be limited because of it, despite the glaring obviousness that it's always been a website for gamers.)

But I do feel ya. I have nothing to add in the game department. I haven't been able to convince myself to play anything lately. I want to pick up Skyrim again, or finish FFXIII-2, but I just feel like I'm wasting my time. Not sure if that's what does it for everyone else, or if its just lack of interest in the games.

Oh, and for the record: Dylans wedding invite was the best thing I ever ever received in the mail. I taped that bad boy above my fireplace. It's so fucking hilariously badass.

Vampyr
08-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Pretty boring summer... other than that I bought a house. :D

That's kind of the reason I haven't been around much, spent a few months being super busy looking for a house, buying a house, getting moved in, then cleaning out the old apartment.

Other than that work has also been super busy lately.

Been hitting the gym a lot more often. I was only getting 2 days a week before the house, now that I'm settled in I've upped that to 4.

Honestly looking forward to Fall and Winter though. NFL preseason starts now, season in a month. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is right around the corner, and hopefully we'll get some pretty snow this year. I want to sit in my new living room and watch it.

BreakABone
08-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Pretty boring summer... other than that I bought a house. :D

That's kind of the reason I haven't been around much, spent a few months being super busy looking for a house, buying a house, getting moved in, then cleaning out the old apartment.

Other than that work has also been super busy lately.

Been hitting the gym a lot more often. I was only getting 2 days a week before the house, now that I'm settled in I've upped that to 4.

Honestly looking forward to Fall and Winter though. NFL preseason starts now, season in a month. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is right around the corner, and hopefully we'll get some pretty snow this year. I want to sit in my new living room and watch it.

Speaking of football.. we should try and do a GT fantasy league. At least, this would get people talking for a few months.

Vampyr
08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm up for that.

Angrist
08-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Went to Ireland to travel around, loved it.

Got a new job.

Became Master in Starcraft 2. That's top 2% of all players. :)

Replayed Half Life 2 Episode 2, carrying the stupid garden gnome around for the whole game. Tonight I beat the game and then I didn't get the achievement. Not sure how that happened. =/

Just had a nice convention for 3 days.

Jason1
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I just got back from attending the 3 day Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago. This is my third year attending, and its a really fun time. Lots of good bands.

Totally random thing happened, I was standing watching some african band my friend wanted to see called Amadou and Mariam. It was a fairly small crowd so we got in pretty close. A girl right next to me with dark hair was dancing pretty good and seemed pretty into it, and had lots of tattoos. I looked at her again and realised it was Danielle from the American Pickers show on the history channel. She had sunglasses on so I was not completley positive it was her so I asked her and she said yes. It was just so random, 100,000 people and thats who I literally bump into.

Other than that, I went camping last weekend for a friends bachelor party, and im going to Six Flags Chicago on Thursday on my day off. And just working, which sucks.

Oh, I also went to vegas back in June. It was fun.

Fox 6
08-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Not much really. Going/went to a few concerts. Hanging with buds. Going to a wedding. I kinda split my vacation days on weekends/start of weeks to prolong my weekend for events (camping, concerts). I do have a whole week off in September, so the end of summer i guess.

Typhoid
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I just got back from attending the 3 day Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago.

Random longshot question: Did you happen to catch Alabama Shakes?

Combine 017
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Going to Kamloops (interior B.C.) tomorrow until Sunday for a wedding. Its a cruddy little town and im not really looking forward to it. Supposed to be highs of 37-40ºC, and dry. On the plus side I got myself a new laser pointer, the most powerful one I could legally get my hands on. Its got a blue light and can burn stuff like a boss.

Acebot44
08-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Spent the summer doing research for a law professor. Spent last week as a camp counselor again (6th year in a row). And have spent this week interviewing for summer associate positions at Law Firms for next year. 9 down, 5 more to go, most have been excellent so far, although I have yet to hear back from any for a callback interview.

2L starts up again in a couple weeks.

Will be seeing Turquoise Jeep live in LA on the 31st....SO BLINKIN EXCITED!

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs6/3027024_o.gif

BreakABone
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Got to check out one of the.. more bizarre acts I've seen in concert before...

http://www.grimesmusic.com/

Didn't much care for the music
Enjoyed the other two bands though

Jason1
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Random longshot question: Did you happen to catch Alabama Shakes?

Is that a Joke? Im guessing its not, and you just did not know. They evacuated Grant Park on day 2 Saturday due to storms. Alamaba Shakes was one of the shows that got cancelled.

So the answer is NO.:cool:

Fox 6
08-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Got to check out one of the.. more bizarre acts I've seen in concert before...

http://www.grimesmusic.com/

Didn't much care for the music
Enjoyed the other two bands though

Haha

I never envisioned you going to a Grimes show

BreakABone
08-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Haha

I never envisioned you going to a Grimes show

Wasn't my idea, but found out we made the paper

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/08/13/t-magazine/19grimes-stern-slide-11ZI/19grimes-stern-slide-11ZI-jumbo.jpg

From a distance, and an artsy shot, but still kind of awesome

The Germanator
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Hmm, Summer is almost over now, but let's what I did...

Technically it was Spring, but I ran a marathon in late May which was a nice personal accomplishment. Finished in 3:43 which was pretty good considering my general goal was anything in the 4-hour range.

In early June I attended the wedding of one of my best friends in the mountains of North Carolina. We spent a week there with family and it was a blast, and a beautiful wedding...certainly a highlight of the summer/year.

We've played a few shows here and there as a band. Maybe the most notable thing we've done recently is release a VIDEO GAME APP! I can't believe I didn't share that here yet, but you can check it out here...it's only .99 cents, c'mon. http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/show-pursuit/id543670565?mt=8
I think we've also released some pretty cool videos, this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5h4H1MPQho) being particularly summer themed.

Went to Charleston, SC for a week with my gal...been there a few times but it's always nice and a little bit different from the northeast. Not too much else really...recording a 4th album, maybe getting a dog soon. I'll be happy when it's not as hot anymore.