PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited

Vampyr
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Does anyone subscribe to this, or have subscribed to it in the past?

http://marvel.com/digital_comics/unlimited

I've been getting more into comics recently and I want to start reading a few regulars. Problem is I would like to read some back issues to get into the story (namely Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics new spider-man). This looks like a fantastic way to do that, I just want to know if the service is as good as it looks like it is.

BreakABone
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I have no idea.. personally would go with comixology.. since they cover the market and have a ton of great sales..

Like this week selling issues of The Hulk for 99 cents including Planet Hulk and World War Hulk

Vampyr
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
That looks cool, but lets say I'm doing the annual subscription on the marvel service. That's $5 a month. Even if I bought all the comics I wanted to read on comixology at $1, if I bought more than 5 it would be cheaper to just use the marvel subscription, since it gives unlimited reads.

Thanks for alerting me to that site though. I've been wanting to catch up on the new 52 Batman as well, looks like a cheap way to do that. That's the only DC property I'm interested in though.

BreakABone
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Its been some time since I followed it, but I remember initially it is a good service on paper, but didn't do anything really current. Like a few years old, so not sure if best way to catch up/read current series.

Could be wrong though.

And could suggest some awesome reads from the New 52

Vampyr
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Suggest away, I might pick up another.

Ginkasa
05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
This actually looks kind of awesome. I'm more of a DC guy, but I might just check this out.

BreakABone
05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Mainline stuff

Batman is the best, Synder has been killing it on the book.
At the same time, I think Batman and Robin is a solid read.

Beyond that, Wonder Woman is fantastic both from an art and story-telling perspective.
Resurrection Man, The Grifter, Deathstroke, Suicide Squad are some of my personal favorites. They are different, but enjoyable.

I've been so so on Justice League, fantastic art, really stretched out story telling.

Teuthida
05-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Red Hood and the Outlaws. Got a lot of flack for the first issue being sexist but it's become one of my favorite books.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/RHO3-2.jpg

And oh so pretty.

That and OMAC which just got cancelled. The character moved onto Justice League International and now that's getting cancelled too. I need to have some book with him. He's like a digital Hulk. If you like Jack Kirby at all you'll love this book.

http://cache.io9.com/assets/images/8/2011/09/omac.jpg

And Dial H which only just started with the second wave of books. Guy steps in a phone booth and comes out a weird wacky hero each time.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bn8DxL7aWH8/T6HVlIZJk8I/AAAAAAAAmSw/tZVSYKfPRjg/s400/dialh1-2.jpg

Justice League is kind of....blah. The Shazam backup is great though. He hasn't even shown up yet. So far just family drama with the kids. Liken it to how Super 8 was great before the alien shows up. Hopefully they'll collect that by itself eventually.

Ginkasa
05-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Red Hood and the Outlaws. Got a lot of flack for the first issue being sexist but it's become one of my favorite books.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/RHO3-2.jpg

And oh so pretty.

Oh, ditto. I read the first issue and HATED it. I didn't get the next 5 issues or something, but I kept hearing it got better and was generally pretty good. I gave it another chance and I'm glad I did. The art is, as you say, so pretty. The characters are also handled a lot better than was evident in that first issue. This is actually a Jason Todd I can dig. I definitely second the suggestion.

Vampyr
05-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I've actually always been interested in Deathstroke, but never read a single thing with him in it. I think I'll give that a shot.

Vampyr
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Batman is great.

I'm not sold on Deathstroke yet. I've read the first two. Loved the ending of the 1st, but it's a little too much cheese and blood. I think that's what it's aiming for, which is great, but I dunno if I want to keep spending money on it or not.

Vampyr
05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
These comics look so delicious on my Galaxy tab.

I'm not even sure if I want to buy paper comics now.

BreakABone
05-20-2012, 07:38 PM
These comics look so delicious on my Galaxy tab.

I'm not even sure if I want to buy paper comics now.

And you don't even need to visit the shop

Though I like my shop, and they got to know me.. somewhat

Vampyr
05-20-2012, 07:48 PM
And you don't even need to visit the shop

Though I like my shop, and they got to know me.. somewhat

I know, I really like my shop too, and I want to support them. Maybe I'll get 1 or 2 series with them.

But it's also really nice how these digital comics take up NO space.

BreakABone
05-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I know, I really like my shop too, and I want to support them. Maybe I'll get 1 or 2 series with them.

But it's also really nice how these digital comics take up NO space.

Yes especially for travel/commutes/lunch time reading.

Vampyr
05-20-2012, 10:49 PM
It's also dangerously easy to spend a few dollars on getting a new comic. Picked up Batwoman #1 and the "Big Time" volume of ASM today.

Also, this guy (http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html) is taking over Deathstroke. Pretty sure I won't be reading that.

BreakABone
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
It's also dangerously easy to spend a few dollars on getting a new comic. Picked up Batwoman #1 and the "Big Time" volume of ASM today.

Also, this guy (http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html) is taking over Deathstroke. Pretty sure I won't be reading that.

Well he took over Deathstroke, and I'm still enjoying it, but I know a lot of folks dislike him

Vampyr
05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Is Batman Detective Comics any good?

I just finished the most recent issue of Batman last night. This series is crazy good.

BreakABone
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Is Batman Detective Comics any good?

I just finished the most recent issue of Batman last night. This series is crazy good.

If you were to jump on other bat books

Would be
Batman and Robin>> Detective>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Dark Knight

Vampyr
05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I've heard The Dark Knight is quite bad. I was interested in Detective Comics mainly because of the Owls tie in, but maybe I'll just read that one issue.

It would be nice if comixology had a wishlist feature.

BreakABone
05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
https://read.dccomics.com/comixology/#/series/344

Seems like DC is turning a spotlight to Tim Drake- Robin
1.99 per issue

Ginkasa
05-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Er, they're always $1.99 an issue. Its just new ones that are 2.99. Sales are usually .99.

Teuthida
05-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I hate that sooo much. You can even see the original cheaper price on the cover. They should all be 99 cents.

Professor S
05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Prices will come down eventually. Right now the publishers are worried about fucking over the comic book shops, and they don't want to do that until they're sure e-comics are sustainable.. Face it, once e-comics become the the norm and prices fall the reflect reduced costs, comic shops are dead. Dead as in never coming back.

BreakABone
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Prices will come down eventually. Right now the publishers are worried about fucking over the comic book shops, and they don't want to do that until they're sure e-comics are sustainable.. Face it, once e-comics become the the norm and prices fall the reflect reduced costs, comic shops are dead. Dead as in never coming back.

I think what he means.. is that makes sense for new releases

But some of these comics are 20 years old, and can generally find them in a comic shop bargain bin for a few cents.

The mark up is even more on their sticker price.. which some comics still have!

Vampyr
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I think what he means.. is that makes sense for new releases

But some of these comics are 20 years old, and can generally find them in a comic shop bargain bin for a few cents.

The mark up is even more on their sticker price.. which some comics still have!

That doesn't really negate anything Prof said, basically just reaffirms it. They don't want to screw over retailers yet until market saturation of e-comics reaches a certain number.

BreakABone
05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
That doesn't really negate anything Prof said, basically just reaffirms it. They don't want to screw over retailers yet until market saturation of e-comics reaches a certain number.

But it doesn't really screw over retailers, since most of them don't deal in back orders of single issues.

If anything, most are converted into trade.

Ginkasa
05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
The actual issue (supposedly) with back issues and their price has to do with Apple. Basically, the publishers want to be able to do sales every now and then on older titles to bring attention to them and what not (Marvel Mondays and DC's 101 sales, etc). Anyway. Apple doesn't want anything to go below .99 for some reason? So, issues are priced at 1.99 so that they can be lowered later.

That's what I've heard, anyway. Could be wrong.

BreakABone
05-22-2012, 11:35 PM
The actual issue (supposedly) with back issues and their price has to do with Apple. Basically, the publishers want to be able to do sales every now and then on older titles to bring attention to them and what not (Marvel Mondays and DC's 101 sales, etc). Anyway. Apple doesn't want anything to go below .99 for some reason? So, issues are priced at 1.99 so that they can be lowered later.

That's what I've heard, anyway. Could be wrong.

Probably makes some sense.. though they have a website and are on Google Play as well.

Ginkasa
05-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Probably makes some sense.. though they have a website and are on Google Play as well.

The vast majority of their business comes from Apple products, though. Additionally, comiXology and the individual publishers are doubtlessly interested in keeping pricing, etc. the same across the board regardless of the device used.

Angrist
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Isn't it the same as with those retro games? Prices on the Virtual Console are crazy. Why are we paying $12 for a 15 year old N64 game? I can find that for half the price.

Vampyr
05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I started reading Amazing Spider-Man "Big Time". Turning out to be a really great starting point in the ASM series, very excited to catch up and keep up with it.

BreakABone
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Isn't it the same as with those retro games? Prices on the Virtual Console are crazy. Why are we paying $12 for a 15 year old N64 game? I can find that for half the price.

Also one of the reasons I've avoided that service for the most part

Teuthida
05-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Exactly, except in this case it's more like paying $80 for a 15 year old N64 game when you can see the original price of it new was $60. And as you said, you could find a physical copy for much less.

Digital comics, especially older ones should be cheap so that they can be impulse buys. They would sell far more that way. Win win.

Recently drew a cover for a completely digital comic on comixology: http://www.comixology.com/Digital-Webbing-Presents-Vol-2/comics-series/500 Not out yet. Will be issue 6, 7, or 8. But they're all 99 cents new. Not that I get any money from the sales, but thought I'd mention.

Zen
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Ive been buying everything off comixology which is great for me, There is no comic book shop here anymore. I was limited to pirate copies of the comics or waiting forever to get them shipped over here.

I cant afford to buy everything I want to read but Im getting:

- Action Comics
Loved the jeans and shirt supes, hated the latest "Obama Superman" issue, Will give properly suited superman a try but I might drop it.

- Nightwing
Seems to be continuing unchanged from when Dick was Batman, its very interesting now that its tied with the Owl's thingie.

- Aquaman
Ive always liked Aquaman but all his titles kept being canceled, I love how the writing is spot on with the world not knowing nothing about Aquaman other than "he talks to fish".

- Amazing Spider-Man
Grew up with this, stopped reading when they did what they did with Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn.... Started buying from brand new day, it will be a looooong time for me to catch up.

- Justice League
Buying for the amazing art, its not very single issue friendly, might drop at some point.

- Scarlet Spider
I actually miss Ben Reily, this book is pretty good with Kaine and how much different he is to Peter.

Books I want to catch up with

Batman: Im at issue 5
Red Hood and the Outlaws: also at 5

Dropped: Avenging Spider-Man when they changed art and Uncanny X-Men after 3 issues.

Looking for an X-Men book that is new reader friendly.

Teuthida
05-25-2012, 06:10 AM
I would recommend either Wolverine and the X-men and/or Uncanny X-Force since I was a new X-Men reader and got into them easily when I could no other book before (other than Morrison's awesome run on New X-men from a decade ago). I read the latter in spurts so not up to date on it but after I believe the 2nd arc some characters from that make their way into W&tX-M.

Uncanny X-Force is a covert team of Wolverine, Deadpool, Psylocke, Fantomex, and Archangel who are tasked with basically killing the major threats rather than capturing or subduing. Doing horrible but necessary things other teams wouldn't touch. The art team rotates arc to arc, but with the same colorists it keeps things fairly consistent.
http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/6/e0/4c6c5564c9a66/detail.jpg http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/d0/4dc7f173ae102/detail.jpg
Spoilers but after seeing this page (https://annihilusssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/i/4832/15555/b20d87e8c01bee9ece6be69d8ebbd101.jpg?h=cc4691aa488905dff70ec775f5bb7216) I knew I had to read this book.

Wolverine and the X-Men has Wolverine rebuild the Xavier school and become the headmaster. The most fun comic I've read in a long while. God damn I love this book.

Art swithces off between Chris Bachalo
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/60352/2131800-ghjkl.png

And Nick Bradshaw
http://comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/WolverineAndTheXMen_4_Cover.jpg

Vampyr
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Astonishing X-Men is about 50 issues in, so that can be a bit intimidating, but the first four volumes are so amazing. They are written by Joss Whedon.

Zen
05-25-2012, 06:32 PM
I will give wolverine and the x men a try, i went for uncanny between both books because i figured the non wolverine book would be better, but for some reason I just couldnt get into it as I thought I would.

Always heard good things about astonishing, I might give it a go sometime. I usually buy one book per character/team though.

Marvel universe has some interesting heroes going on which I know nothing about other than Spider-Man.