PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes

Vampyr
03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Has anyone else here been impacted by the massive string of tornadic storms that went across the south eastern part of the US this weekend?

Mine and Moogle's hometown of West Liberty is pretty much gone, and the death toll is steadily rising.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/64910_788046293391_164003687_34978984_668439374_n.jpg

Ginkasa
03-03-2012, 02:39 PM
This string was east of me, but I've been there before (in regards to tornadoes, not your home town). To say "it sucks" is putting it lightly.

TheSlyMoogle
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I was in lexington and frankfort all of yesterday luckily.

Dylflon
03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Holy Jesus you guys.

Are your families okay? Any relatives still living there?

Vampyr
03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Everyone in my family is OK. I think the official death count right now is at 5. The houses all around my mother-in-law's apartment were destroyed, but they somehow missed her's.

I have a feeling that there are more areas of the county that were hit and just haven't been reported on yet, due to the internet and phones being out communication has been extremely slow. We know a tornado hit the northern part of the county too, but I haven't really heard anything out of there.

There is a residential area on top of a hill right next to town, and that wasn't hit. My wife's aunt lives there. There are still people living in houses around the town. Red Cross is there delivery bread and peanut butter to people. No power though, and it's snowing now. I have no idea how long it's going to take them to restore power. You just look a the power lines wrapped around trees and the poles have been flung across the road...how do you even start to repair something like that?

Ginkasa
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Time and hard work. Its rough for a while, but things will return to normal eventually.

Vampyr
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Here is an interview with a couple of people who survived. The little older lady was an English teacher at my high school back in the day, and continued to substitute regularly whenever I was in school there. One of the nicest people I've ever met.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/03/05/spellman-tornado-survivors-return.cnn

Also, despite knowing you've lost everything, I can't help but to think there has to be this moment where you feel like the most badass human on earth when a tornado throws your house across the road, cement blocks are falling in around you, then you just stand up out of the wreckage unscathed.

TheSlyMoogle
03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Here is an interview with a couple of people who survived. The little older lady was an English teacher at my high school back in the day, and continued to substitute regularly whenever I was in school there. One of the nicest people I've ever met.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/03/05/spellman-tornado-survivors-return.cnn

Also, despite knowing you've lost everything, I can't help but to think there has to be this moment where you feel like the most badass human on earth when a tornado throws your house across the road, cement blocks are falling in around you, then you just stand up out of the wreckage unscathed.

Yeah that's crazy. Go Ms. May. Still though, she used to put me to sleep always.