PDA

View Full Version : Sharing files over my network, help appreciated

Angrist
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm trying to stream my video files (and music I guess) from my PC to my media streamer, over the network I set up.

Now the streamer does see my PC and I can get to the part where I see my PC and its shared folders... But when I want to enter a shared folder, it asks me for a user name and password. :confused:
Edit: Internet works on the streamer btw. I was pleased to find free Discovery Channel and lots of other stuff.

I didn't set a password for sharing stuff. Just pressing OK (without filling anything in) doens't work either.

When I go into the page of my modem, I see my PC in the overview, and something called (null), which says something like this:
IP Address: **.***.1.36
MAC Address: **:**:**:b5:60:a7
Address Source: DHCP
ConnectionType: Ethernet

In the Network screen of Windows (Vista btw), my streamer shows up as a 'Realtek Embedded UPnP Render()'. That doesn't make sense, it's not a Realtek product.

So short story: how do I set up a proper network to share my PC files with another device? Thanks. :)

manasecret
03-01-2012, 11:48 PM
There is always a user, but the password is often blank so you may not think about it.

Go to the Start Menu -> type in "User Accounts" in the search bar, hit enter -- what does your user say? (Often your name.)

EDIT:

Or more generally, since you are probably not using English, hit Start Menu keyboard key + R to get to Run -> type in netplwiz -> OK -> What is your user listed here?

Angrist
03-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Thanks... bult it still doesn't work.

I had already tried logging in with my user name (and no password), but it didn't work. Tried it again, no luck.
Then I made a new user account, one especially for the streamer. Tried that, didn't work. It keeps giving me a "Logon fail."

Edit: Never mind, I figured ilt out. I needed to set a password for my main account, and log in with that. No password didn't work apparently. =/

Thanks!