PDA

View Full Version : Video card problem

Angrist
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Lately my GPU has been acting weird. Perhaps someone has some tips for me?

It's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT which I've had for almost 4 years.

The following problems occur:
- I can't couple a 2nd monitor (TV to watch a movie on) anymore.
- My PC sometimes crashes when I play Starcraft II. The screen is all messed up (green colors etc.) before it happens, so I suspect the video card.
- Right now I have vertical pink bars running through my screen.

I'm going to test to check if my 10 year old monitor isn't to blame, but I doubt it is.

I tried updating the drivers, but it didn't work. The most problems even occured since I've had the newest drivers. Now I'm trying to go back to the old drivers, but it's giving me errors. I'll keep trying.

A new card would be the last solution, but I don't like putting a new €100 card into a 4 year old PC...

Thanks. :)

Angrist
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok when I try to start SC2, this is what I get:

The videocard is not accessible because no display drivers are installed, another 3D application has exclusive access or the machine was locked. Please close any 3D applications or games and try starting StarCraft II again. Rebooting your system may also unlock the videocard.

That is in line with what Windows tells me: the display drivers aren't being used because they gave problems.

BUT! I've reinstalled them several times... I just can't get them to work again. Where is the 'start' button?

Neo
01-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I think you're video card is fucked. You can try older drivers, but if that doesn't work then it's probably a hardware problem.

Angrist
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
:/

I tried going back to the old drivers, but Windows just doesn't use them. I'm afraid I'll buy new hardware while it was actually only a software problem...

Next question. THe PC is almost 4 years old. Would you just replace the GPU or would you go for a completely new PC?

Angrist
01-31-2012, 05:11 PM
I discovered that you can get 1GB video cards for €40. The problem might be my version of PCI-E, 1.1. Most cards are 2.0 by now...
Tomorrow I'll go to a store to ask what my options are.

Typhoid
01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll throw my computer problem in here, because it seems simpler.

Short story short; There was a power surge, powerbar/computer flicked off, I turned them back on - computer hasn't turned on since.

Would it possibly be something as simple as getting a new power box for the computer itself?
I'm good with computer hardware.

Angrist
02-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok I ended up buying a new card for €65. It's a GeForce GT 430, 1GB.
I expected new video cards to be way better than my old one, but apparently it's not. But it does let me play SC2 in 1248x1024, which is nice. :)

Oh and Typhoid, I have no idea...

TheSlyMoogle
02-04-2012, 01:21 AM
I'll throw my computer problem in here, because it seems simpler.

Short story short; There was a power surge, powerbar/computer flicked off, I turned them back on - computer hasn't turned on since.

Would it possibly be something as simple as getting a new power box for the computer itself?
I'm good with computer hardware.

Uh... try flipping the switch on the power box then turning it on again. Also try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

If that stuff doesn't work it's probably the power supply. Which you'll have to replace. Make sure you get one that is equal to the wattage you had previously.

Typhoid
02-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Uh... try flipping the switch on the power box then turning it on again. Also try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

I obviously I 'jiggled the cord' and 'flipped the switch'.

I can't believe a scenario where I seriously got to say that came up.

Anyways, yeah - I guess I'll just need to get a new powermajigger.