PDA

View Full Version : Survey says...

Teuthida
12-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I want to start producing my creator-owned comic soon and trying to figure out the best way to go about it. So...

Was wondering how you folks who read comics prefer to consume them. Singles, trades, on your computer, on your iphone/ipad?

And for those who don't currently read them, what format would you see yourself reading one, and what would get you to do so?

My sister for example only started reading comics once she got an iphone and believe only buys trades. So for the iphone route, would you rather read a monthly or a trade-sized chunk?

I personally liked Scott Pilgrim's yearly model. (Similar to how a lot of European comics come out.) If you feel the same, would you prefer that as a physical book or download more? (The only reason I'm iffy on this is its a bit of a gamble to do a year's worth of work and hope it sells.)

Also price. Based on what format you like, what price would be ideal?

Combine 017
12-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Ive only read Valve web comics, but id probably read more if I really wanted to. I enjoy reading comics and graphic novels, but ive never invested heavily into any. Usually because I forget they exist.

I think id prefer a monthly sort of thing rather than yearly. I like the idea of having a physical copy more, but virtual is a lot easier to get at.

Professor S
12-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Trades, but I'd be willing to invest in electronic issues. My library runneth over...

Ginkasa
12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I've switched to digital recently. I prefer trades to be physical though.

Typhoid
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
And for those who don't currently read them, what format would you see yourself reading one, and what would get you to do so?

The only (physical) comic I've ever really been into was Spawn (Does Archie count?), and that was a long long time ago. So my view might not be exactly valid to you.

But for now, I'd say digital. If I was going to get into a comic nowadays I'd rather just read it from my ilaptopphonepad. Plus not everyone wants to collect comics because of the negative stigma that goes with it, I'm sure a lot more people who haven't previously been into comics would be a lot more likely to do so if it was digital. I personally know a lot of super-nerds who stay in the closet about it just because they're afraid of being seen as nerdy. I'm not referring to anyone on this board by the way. :lol:

However, not being a comic reader, I wouldn't really take a random stab at a comic if I had to pay for it, unless it was something like a Superbat-spider-Man. However if the first few issues of that comic were free, to get a non-comic reader more likely hooked on it, I'd definitely be more likely to check it out. Knowhaaymeean.

KillerGremlin
12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vd2JNtPDyb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SURVEY SAYS! *BOOM*

Why is Archer the best TV show on TV right now...:p

Anyway, I like single issues and the big books. Do the single issues in digital format (you can make payments directly to your website), and then release a paper copy of the book each year or when you reach a number of issues.

Teuthida
12-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. After I posted this I found the comic Ratfist (http://ratfist.com/) by the creator of Earthworm Jim. He has the first 51 pages of the 176 page graphic novel on his site to read. Not a bad way to go.

Was looking at Image's digital method. Would be the ideal company to go through but I don't care for how they handle the digital side. $3-4 (same overpriced price as a physical copy) and then down to $2 after the issue has been out for a while. I wouldn't want to charge more than a buck an issue. Dunno if there's a way around that with them.

Maybe release the first two or three issues or so online for free, have the first six collected to sell as a trade and then go monthly from there. Still...pretty expensive if go through Image (but I would have to pay a colorist and letterer as well so needs to be fair to them). Shall see.