PDA

View Full Version : Odd Download Speed Issue

Ginkasa
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
So, I haven't used my "gaming PC" for a few weeks; got busy at work and been doing other things, so its been turned off for a little while.

I wanted to check out The Witcher 2 (2.0), though, so I got it back up. There were a lot of updates for my anti-virus programs and Windows and such, so I took care of all that, opened up Steam, and started downloading the new Witcher 2 patch.

My download speed, however, is much slower than I'm accustomed to. When downloading most of my Steam games I've gotten 1 MB/s or higher. Now, I'm barely averaging between 300-400 KB/s (currently I'm actually at 250). I wasn't running anything else other than Steam downloading the patch.

I'd think it was an issue with Steam or something, but I've tried to watch an HD trailer on GameTrailers to test and it had to buffer in the middle which never happens. I ran my anti-virus and found nothing and rebooted the computer to no improvement. My other PC, which I normally use for routine day to day use, has no issues. Any thoughts?

(Guess I should note, my gaming PC is a wired network connection; my normal PC is wireless. You'd think the wired would be quicker, but its slower and that's my issue.)

manasecret
09-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Do you have other computers that use the same internet connection, and are they slower as well?

Ginkasa
09-30-2011, 02:18 AM
I do and they were not. The issue got fixed somehow. I tried a few different things I found around the internet. I'm not sure which fixed it...

Anyway, I started downloading KotOR onto this computer to test the speed (and because, hey, why not?). I'm up to 1.6 MB/s now. I peaked at 1.9, so... Fixed!