PDA

View Full Version : 2011 White House Correspondent Dinner

BreakABone
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
These can be a bit fun, I remember when Colbert did it in 2006.

Anyhow, last night was hosted by President Obama and Seth Meyers, thought the President was a bit funnier than Meyers. Felt, he just rushed through his jokes with no sense of pacing and giving the audience a chance to breath

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9mzJhvC-8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7YGITlxfT6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you got to love the Donald's face throughout most of this

http://images.politico.com/global/click/110430_trump_whcd_westcott_283_regular.jpg

TheGame
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
LMAO I love the Hogan intro music.

Angrist
05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
To be honest I thought it was a bit immature. Very cheap.

Vampyr
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Party pooper.

BreakABone
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM

May I ask why exactly?

I mean the whole notion of this dinner is its sort of a political roast of sorts.
Not like a formal forum for political discourse.

Angrist
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
It's just quite impolite to make fun of someone in the audience. They can't talk back, they can't defend themselves.

Of course, it happens all the time. It probably happened to Obama as well. But that doesn't mean the leader of a country should resort to the same thing. For me (and I know you'll all disagree) it changed how I see your president. I always thought he was this really nice guy. Not anymore.

BreakABone
05-02-2011, 02:24 PM
It's just quite impolite to make fun of someone in the audience. They can't talk back, they can't defend themselves.

Of course, it happens all the time. It probably happened to Obama as well. But that doesn't mean the leader of a country should resort to the same thing. For me (and I know you'll all disagree) it changed how I see your president. I always thought he was this really nice guy. Not anymore.

You know, and I posted a link. There's a comedian right after him, and Obama took his lumps as well.

I guess its just a difference in opinions, but the President takes his punches over the course of the year, one night where he gets to give some back, and he's the bad guy for it?

Vampyr
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
You know, and I posted a link. There's a comedian right after him, and Obama took his lumps as well.

I guess its just a difference in opinions, but the President takes his punches over the course of the year, one night where he gets to give some back, and he's the bad guy for it?

Agreed.

And Obama has had to deal with Trump's bullshit "birther" movement for the past few weeks. Trump can stand to be made fun of while in the audience. If he had an ounce of tact in him he would have laughed at the jokes.

Instead, you know what he did? He released a statement the next day saying that Seth Meyers is a stutterer. So who's the mean one?

Trump is a piece of crap that doesn't deserve to be defended by anyone.

Personally I think Obama's "presentation" at the dinner will boost his popularity among Americans, especially the younger crowd.

Angrist
05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
The funny thing is that I have absolutely NO idea who this Trump guy is. I'm just looking at it objectively.
I'm not comparing who's the meanest here... I just always like to see a leader set a good example. Not many can do that.

Fox 6
05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Anyone else think that its neat/weird/funny that when Obama made the speech, he had already signed the approval to go after Bin Laden? He's all jokey jokey.

Fox 6
05-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Just noticed this. Watch the Seth Meyers joke about Bin Laden around 2:00 into his speech. Love Obamas reaction, keep in mind this is after he signed the approval for the mission.

thatmariolover
05-04-2011, 05:53 PM
No, Obama was justified. Trump needed to get called out, though I never expected it to happen so spectacularly.

I thought it was even funnier that Celebrity Apprentice (Trump's TV show, since not all are aware) was cut short to announce the Bin Laden kill.

Typhoid
05-04-2011, 07:24 PM
First off, Angrist - buddy - making fun of someone in the audience isn't a big deal. That's okay with North American humour. That's almost the entire basis of a roast.

Obviously this isn't a roast.

But anyways, I loved Obama's part of this. I honestly thought it was hilarious. he has a good sence of humour (despite the fact he may not have written everything, he still OK'd the jokes, considering he's saying them). I also didn't think his deliveries were that bad. I thought he was pretty good. I mean - he spoke like a regular guy trying to be a comedian while still trying to hold back a little because he's the fucking President.

The Lion King birth part, come on. That's funny.
And he had an important question; "Where are Biggie and Tupac?"

All Hail President Tuvac.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Is-ne706CUU/TZEC0h4_spI/AAAAAAAAAHE/UUXV9qPxvLA/s1600/lieutenant_commander_tuvok_obama_blog.jpg

Angrist
05-05-2011, 06:43 AM
By Biggie, did he mean Bigfoot or Notorious B.I.G.?

Typhoid
05-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Biggie Smalls. The Notorious B.I.G.

Not Bigfoot.

Although that would have been hilariously obscure.

Teuthida
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Hmm, I wonder....

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lSMKoVlpx-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes.

Angrist
05-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Bigfoot would have been better.