PDA

View Full Version : Really Awkward Phone Call

Ginkasa
02-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I just had a really weird "wrong #" call. I thought I'd share.

My phone started to ring (obviously) which isn't really a super common occurrence. I don't like talking on the phone, so I don't call people and people don't call me. So, if my phone rings it usually my wife or my job; something fairly (if not monumentally) important.

So, I went to my phone wonder what it was. I didn't recognize the number, but I don't keep all of my assistant managers numbers in my phone, so it could have been one of them. I answered it and the (male) voice asked for Chris. I told the guy he had the wrong number. He responded, "What's your mom's name?"

I said, "What?" He asked to speak to my mom. I told him, again, he had the wrong number. I probably should have just hung up at this point, but I was curious what was going on.

He repeated my number and said that was the one he was given, could he speak to my mom. I said, "I don't...live.. with... Where'd you get this number?" He repeated the number and asked for Chris. I asked again where he got the number. Finally, he answered, "Singles line." I told him he had the wrong number. He said, "This is one she gave me on the singles line." I told him she must have given him a "fake" number. He finally hung up.

Good times.

Jason1
02-19-2011, 04:47 PM
haha, good stuff. I usually dont answer numbers I dont recognize on my phone. I figure if it is something important, they will leave me a voicemail. I actually had a call today from an unknown number, and I just didnt answer and they did not leave a voicemail. Which leads me to believe it was either someone who had the wrong number, or a spammer or something.

Angrist
02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Hehe nice one. :D

I once got called by a number I didn't recognize. I did notice that it was a foreign number. As soon as I answered, it got hung up.
I decided to google the number. I found out it's used as a scam. They were hoping I would call them back. If I had, they would have gotten a lot of money from me.

And a friend once got a few text messages from Turkey. Somebody also had the wrong number.

Jason, I'm exactly the other way around. I hate listening to my voicemail. I reckon that if it's important, they will call again or send me a message.
Of course in the end I still listen to them...

BreakABone
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Was I the only one who missed the fact that Ginkasa got married?

When did that happen? :confused:

Ginkasa
02-21-2011, 02:50 AM
14 months ago.

Edit: To this lady. (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15535)

Bube
02-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I was wondering the same thing as BaB. Congrats btw, even though it's pretty late :)

And yes, random phone conversations are almost always funny.

I was once called by a little girl, who thought she was speaking to her uncle, and asked me to give the phone to her mother. I couldn't convince the girl that I wasn't her uncle; and after I think the 5th time that I told her that she had the wrong number, she gave the phone to her father and said "my uncle's tricking me". I then had to convince her father that I wasn't his brother-in-law. Took me a good 5 minutes.

Seth
02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
haha, this reminds of the time I was phoned by some bloke from Canmore, Alberta. He said that he wasn't very pleased with me. That I still owed a month or two of unpaid house rent.
Anyway, the fact that I shared the same first name as his ex roommate is funny, but what's weirder is that my good friend's g/f gave this guy my number for some f'd reason even though she knew quite well that I had never been to Canmore in my life.
Anyway, the bloke wasn't too happy about me denying that I owed him money. We hung up, but I'm sure to this day he tells the story of how he found his deserting co-habitator and was rudely guiled by blatant lies of denial.
I don't think he could stomach the 13 letter last name of mine as being not made up.