PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 catching back up to 360 in sales?

TheGame
07-30-2010, 02:03 AM
As of July 23rd 2010 MS has sold 41.7 million 360s, and as of june 30th Sony has sold 38.1 million Ps3s.

Who do you guys think will end this generation on top in HD world?

Vampyr
07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Whoever has made the most money, and we know who that is.

BreakABone
07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Shiny sale figures,

1) Both of those numbers are of June 30th as they mark the end of a financial quarter for all 3 companies.

2) Do I need to say Nintendo won? I'll say it anyhow.

3) I think MS will maintain its lead through the end of the generation.
a) The 360 slim has given the 360 slightly renewed interest, while it still won't do anything in Japan, I assume it will help in Europe and America, which is where it needs to.
b) Even though neither will do great, I believe the Kinect has the greater potential to reach a mass market audience, and will help it through the end of the year/start of next year.
c) Holiday line-up Gran Turismo is a big franchise, but we don't know what it will do this gen.
Halo/CoD on 360 will put some arses in the seat.

TheGame
07-30-2010, 09:59 AM
2) Do I need to say Nintendo won? I'll say it anyhow.

I'm sure everyone expected that. lol And I'm using the dates listed on Wiki, which are probably just the announcement dates.

And while you make valid points, I think Ps3 will still surpass 360 in the long run. For a few reasons.

1) Blu ray won. Ever since that happened Sony has been gaining ground.
2) 360's sales are already questionable due to the hardware failures.. I wouldn't be suprised if more homes have Ps3s already. (Since people seem not to be able to buy just one 360)
3) Even though Kinect appears to be more innovative then move, I think Sony's overall package with the coming 3D games gives them a better case for the future

Also, I just want to point out that gran turismo is the most popular franchise in existance on the HD consoles.

Vampyr
07-30-2010, 10:27 AM
In what way did Nintendo win anything HD related?

BreakABone
07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
In what way did Nintendo win anything HD related?
Well in terms of the original idea of this thread, they are both still fighting for 2nd or whatever.

I'm sure everyone expected that. lol And I'm using the dates listed on Wiki, which are probably just the announcement dates.

And while you make valid points, I think Ps3 will still surpass 360 in the long run. For a few reasons.

2) 360's sales are already questionable due to the hardware failures.. I wouldn't be suprised if more homes have Ps3s already. (Since people seem not to be able to buy just one 360)
3) Even though Kinect appears to be more innovative then move, I think Sony's overall package with the coming 3D games gives them a better case for the future

Also, I just want to point out that gran turismo is the most popular franchise in existance on the HD consoles.

1) FALSE. PS3 sales picked up when they dropped the price to 300 and released the Ps3 Slim. there's a reason they saw a 131% increase in hardware sales this quarter and it wasn't blu-rays
2) Its a non-issue since there is no way to track it, and I mean its not like people didn't upgrade from a Ps3 to a PS3 Slim.
3)
a) Kinect will sell better than Move because Kinect looks vastly different from the Wii so it doesn't have to prove itself to that audience. PS3 Move right now hasn't done anything that would push people who don't already have a PS3 to get it.
b) 3D won't do anything for the Ps3 until the price of TVs come down to a reasonable price, and even then there still isn't enough content to really warrant a purchase.

4) That's wrong right now. Since there has really been no GT released on HD consoles (I know Prologue was but more like an extended demo)
And even if that was the case, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto sold better this gen then the best selling GT LAST gen. So it isn't the biggest franchise on HD consoles. Its Sony's biggest exclusive/brand.

gekko
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Blu Ray "winning" and being successful are two wildly different things.

And I'm curious, how do software sales compare for these 2 systems? And DLC numbers would also be interesting.

BreakABone
07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Blu Ray "winning" and being successful are two wildly different things.

And I'm curious, how do software sales compare for these 2 systems? And DLC numbers would also be interesting.

Here's Sony's software sales, I'll try and track down MS'

Software Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 FY LTD

FY 2006 - - 5.2 8.1 13.3 13.3

FY 2007 4.7 10.4 26.0 16.8 57.9 71.2

FY 2008 22.8 21.2 40.8 18.9 103.7 174.9

FY 2009 14.8 23.9 47.6 29.3 115.6 290.5

FY 2010 24.8 ? ? ? 00.0 315.3

So in total 315.3 Million units of software.

~Edit~
Seems like MS doesn't release their software totals or I just can't find it, but I know 360 obviously sold more software than PS3, but not sure how much.

BreakABone
07-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Finally tracked down some more numbers.

These aren't official because don't think MS releases numbers, but 360 stands at ~406 million pieces of software sold.

Also there are some dispute, but also it seems that by the time the Ps3 came out the Xbox had about a 6 million unit head start.

Which means in about 3 1/2 years Sony has been able to whittle it down by just about 50%.

Its been a slow burn for the PS3, but apparently comparatively if the 360 and PS3 released the same date, the PS3 would actually be outselling it so I guess MS was wise with the one year head start.

gekko
07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Its been a slow burn for the PS3, but apparently comparatively if the 360 and PS3 released the same date, the PS3 would actually be outselling it so I guess MS was wise with the one year head start.

Not really, since it's impossible to predict how the buying decisions of people would've been affected by PS3 coming out a year earlier. But thanks for the numbers.

TheGame
07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Well in terms of the original idea of this thread, they are both still fighting for 2nd or whatever.

In my original post I asked who was going to win in HD world :P

1) FALSE. PS3 sales picked up when they dropped the price to 300 and released the Ps3 Slim. there's a reason they saw a 131% increase in hardware sales this quarter and it wasn't blu-rays

That can be read both ways. Pre blu ray victory, Ps3 was a lot worse in sales. Post blue ray victory, Ps3 gained ground. That is a fact.

2) Its a non-issue since there is no way to track it, and I mean its not like people didn't upgrade from a Ps3 to a PS3 Slim.

Everyone I know with a 360 has gotten a replacement one now. I'm pretty it's a big factor and has helped their sales numbers.

3)
a) Kinect will sell better than Move because Kinect looks vastly different from the Wii so it doesn't have to prove itself to that audience. PS3 Move right now hasn't done anything that would push people who don't already have a PS3 to get it.
b) 3D won't do anything for the Ps3 until the price of TVs come down to a reasonable price, and even then there still isn't enough content to really warrant a purchase.

Time will tell.

And you don't need a 3D TV to play the 3D games in 3D.

4) That's wrong right now. Since there has really been no GT released on HD consoles (I know Prologue was but more like an extended demo)
And even if that was the case, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto sold better this gen then the best selling GT LAST gen. So it isn't the biggest franchise on HD consoles. Its Sony's biggest exclusive/brand.

Wow, making up facts now are we? No modern warfare game has topped the 14 million mark set by GT3, and if you want to count multiple games, GT3 and GT4 sold 25 million. The top 3 selling Call of duty games on 360 combined sold around 15 million, and the 2 Ps3 ones sold about 6 million.

So GT still remains the most popular franchise that is available on the HD consoles, and obviously I'm talking from a historical standpoint. GT1-4 sold over 40 mil. It puts the other non-nintendo "juggernauts" (GTA, MGS, CoD, FF) to shame. I don't think it's fair to downplay it quite yet.

-EDIT-

I just noticed you said Gran theft auto sold more this gen too, the whopping 7 million combined between Ps3 and 360 isn't even HALF of GT3. I'm curious where you're getting these numbers from now,

gekko
07-31-2010, 11:13 PM
If you're counting PS2 as a "HD" console, then why are you ignoring GTA sales? San Andreas alone outsold GT3. Had many more games, but definitely sold more as a series than GT.

BreakABone
07-31-2010, 11:24 PM
That can be read both ways. Pre blu ray victory, Ps3 was a lot worse in sales. Post blue ray victory, Ps3 gained ground. That is a fact.
I could be mistaken, but blu-ray officially won the format war in early 2008, PS3 didn't pick up any type of momentum until second half of 09.

Its not the fallout from the Blu-ray format.

Everyone I know with a 360 has gotten a replacement one now. I'm pretty it's a big factor and has helped their sales numbers.
As I said there is NO way to track it, I'm sure everyone has their stories, but for the sake of argument unless you can give an official number or hell even a rough estimate, the matter is moot.

Wow, making up facts now are we? No modern warfare game has topped the 14 million mark set by GT3, and if you want to count multiple games, GT3 and GT4 sold 25 million. The top 3 selling Call of duty games on 360 combined sold around 15 million, and the 2 Ps3 ones sold about 6 million.
Now are you counting CoD on a single platform?
Because you can't ignore it being on both 360 and PS3.
And if that is the case, MW 2 is just over 19 million copies worldwide which if not mistaken is greater than the 14 million by GT

So GT still remains the most popular franchise that is available on the HD consoles, and obviously I'm talking from a historical standpoint. GT1-4 sold over 40 mil. It puts the other non-nintendo "juggernauts" (GTA, MGS, CoD, FF) to shame. I don't think it's fair to downplay it quite yet.
I'm not disputing that GT is a HUGE franchise, I just don't see how you can say its the biggest HD franchise when it hasn't made its debut.

Unless you count prologue which sold less than 4 million.

This is a different generation.

I just noticed you said Gran theft auto sold more this gen too, the whopping 7 million combined between Ps3 and 360 isn't even HALF of GT3. I'm curious where you're getting these numbers from now,
And GTA IV is close to 14 million than it is 7 million, its almost 8 million on the 360 alone.

And while I hate to reference it, I get most of my numbers from vgchartz and video game sales wiki.

If you're counting PS2 as a "HD" console, then why are you ignoring GTA sales? San Andreas alone outsold GT3. Had many more games, but definitely sold more as a series than GT.

Oh yeah that's the other thing.
GTA: SA sold what 21 million copies.
GTA IV as you pointed out didn't sell as much.

Is it not possible GT could suffer the same fate?

TheGame
08-01-2010, 01:21 AM
BaB you referenced wiki, but I'm adding the numbers differently from that site.

According to those numbers, MW2 is still sitting at just over 12 million for Ps360. GTA4 is at 2.6 mil on Ps3 and 4.3 on 360...

And Gekko, I'm not counting it as an HD console. I'm just saying that GT shouldn't be dismissed as something insignifigant.

And BaB I'm not saying it's the "biggest HD franchise". I'm saying it's the most popular franchise that's still around that will be on the HD consoles. There are no other game franchises that will be released on Ps360 that have historically sold as well.

And GT5 may well suffer the same fate as GTA.. But I don't see any racing games out there even trying to compete. GTA has had it's fair share of shooters and action games to compete with, but GT these days is pretty much THE racing game. (That and Mario Kart lol) Plus the install base for Ps3 is much bigger now.. I don't think there's much question about if it will outsell GTA honestly.. but we will see.

gekko
08-01-2010, 03:23 AM
But I don't see any racing games out there even trying to compete.

Forza.

BreakABone
08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
BaB you referenced wiki, but I'm adding the numbers differently from that site.

According to those numbers, MW2 is still sitting at just over 12 million for Ps360. GTA4 is at 2.6 mil on Ps3 and 4.3 on 360...
Those numbers have to be severely out of date, but using Wiki

On MW 2,
On June 15, 2010, Activision confirmed that the game had sold over 20 million copies worldwide, making it the second best-selling game of all time in the UK, and the third best-selling game of all time in the US.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39540/E3-2010-MW2-sells-20-million-copies

On GTA 4,
As of 9 June 2010, the game had sold over 17 million copies
http://www.videogamer.com/news/gta_4_sales_reach_17_million.html

So both of those, would have sold better than the best GT game last gen.
And that's not even counting the other big franchises that emerged this gen.

And BaB I'm not saying it's the "biggest HD franchise". I'm saying it's the most popular franchise that's still around that will be on the HD consoles. There are no other game franchises that will be released on Ps360 that have historically sold as well.
You see that's just narrowing down the argument more and more.
YES, its the last big franchise that hasn't had a game this generation.
And I'm sure it will sell well, but will it sell as much as last gen? Or even cater to the same audience?

And GT5 may well suffer the same fate as GTA.. But I don't see any racing games out there even trying to compete. GTA has had it's fair share of shooters and action games to compete with, but GT these days is pretty much THE racing game. (That and Mario Kart lol) Plus the install base for Ps3 is much bigger now.. I don't think there's much question about if it will outsell GTA honestly.. but we will see.

Forza as gekko pointed out, while doesn't sell nearly as well, did break 4 million with the 2nd one, 3rd slipped a bit, but there are other games.

Again, no one is saying GT won't sell well. I just don't think it will sell as well as you think nor do I think it will push Ps3 as much.
Though as always gonna be hard to tell with the bump they will get for Move.

gekko
08-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Forza as gekko pointed out, while doesn't sell nearly as well, did break 4 million with the 2nd one, 3rd slipped a bit, but there are other games.

Wrong! See, 10.35% of PS2 owners bought GT3. If the same percentage buys GT5, it will sell 3.94 million units, which is less than Forza 2. :p

Seriously though, I really wonder why you guys still find satisfaction in trying to predict the future. Sure it may be the only excitement a gaming forum gets, but its pretty damn stupid.

TheGame
08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Forza needs to outsell Motostorm to be in this discussion. ;)

Anyway, Gekko, I just do it cause I'm bored. lol

BreakABone
08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Wrong! See, 10.35% of PS2 owners bought GT3. If the same percentage buys GT5, it will sell 3.94 million units, which is less than Forza 2. :p

Seriously though, I really wonder why you guys still find satisfaction in trying to predict the future. Sure it may be the only excitement a gaming forum gets, but its pretty damn stupid.
I enjoy the conversations.
I think they are fun, and in a way nice to watch they play out.
I realize they are pointless, but the gaming side hasn't really been booming either.

Forza needs to outsell Motostorm to be in this discussion. ;)

Anyway, Gekko, I just do it cause I'm bored. lol

I have Motorstorm at 3.52 million
And Forza at 4.01 million.
So would say sold better.

BreakABone
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/top-sellers-of-2010-so-far/top-sellers-of-2010-so-far/1407296

Top 10 Sellers in the USA

Only a single Ps3 exclusive. Well none for 360, but CoD and RDR represent 360.

TheGame
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/top-sellers-of-2010-so-far/top-sellers-of-2010-so-far/1407296

Top 10 Sellers in the USA

Only a single Ps3 exclusive. Well none for 360, but CoD and RDR represent 360.

I don't know if that's good or bad for 360.

BreakABone
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know if that's good or bad for 360.

I actually had an post written up about this, but figured people already think I'm firmly in camp Nintendo so wouldn't buy what I was selling either.

It is both good and bad for the 360 at the same time if that makes sense.

TheGame
08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I actually had an post written up about this, but figured people already think I'm firmly in camp Nintendo so wouldn't buy what I was selling either.

It is both good and bad for the 360 at the same time if that makes sense.

Yeah, it makes sense. I figure the real answer is same thing...

TheGame
11-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Hate to bump an old thread (jk I love it)

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/115/1159284p1.html

That was as of April. Reports now put Ps3 at over a million out in front of 360 worldwide. :p So much for them maintaining that lead for the rest of the generation.

Gran Turismo 5 is the best selling game on Ps3 to date too with over 6 million sold (And since Ps3 hasn't hit 60 million yet, the attach rate is even better then the GT games were for Ps2.. for now).

Kinect is obviously killing off move due to it being a package deal with the 360, but it hasn't been enough to give 360 that boost to keep it's lead over Ps3.