PDA

View Full Version : Over/Under: Significant Other

KillerGremlin
04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I liked BaB's idea of reflecting on popular cultural beacons. I actually liked the editorial idea so much that I thought it would be a fun edition to the music board. I figure I'll try one out every week or two, this should be easier than doing music reviews and I figure I'll get more participation.

With that said....today's album is:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7769/lb2n.jpg

Limp Bizkit - Significant Other

Why choose this album? Well for one, I'm sure 90% of the people here have heard this album. Also, this album was incredibly popular at the time of its release, but with what seemed like each following year Limp Bizkit became less and less popular. This album was around for at least 2 or 3 years though. I remember hearing Nookie on the radio, Break Stuff and Rearranged. That is 3 huge singles.

Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to download this album because I had the song Nobody Like You stuck in my head. The song features Jonathan Davis from Korn, and I think it is pretty impressive for a song to get stuck in my head from 1999.

Yeah, this album came out in 1999. It is in the much loved/hated category of "rap-rock" but really it is just a nu-metal release.

That said, is this album over/under?

Swan
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I've always preferred Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavour Water.

Fox 6
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I've always preferred Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavour Water.

beat me to it.

Angrist
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Never heard of it. Does that make it under?

Teuthida
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
*High-fives Angrist* Woo, 10%!

My only knowledge of the band comes from Will Sasso's portrayl of Fred Durst on MADtv.

magus113
04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Gonna have to say over. I preferred Chocolate Starfish

manasecret
04-26-2010, 12:10 PM
The artist is overrated. Can't say anything about the album.

KillerGremlin
04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Gonna have to agree that Limp Bizkit is overrated, but I think Significant Other is currently underrated. Maybe when it came out it was overrated, but reading some of the Amazon reviews for it.....

Like, if you don't like an album, that's fine. But some of these reviews are hilariously arrogant and misplaced. They say things like, "If you want to listen to real metal check out Dream Theater!"

As if Dream Theater is comparable to Limp Bizkit. o_O

Anyway, I'm gonna have to check out Chocolate Starfish. Does anyone remember that Fred Durst sex tape? I tried to forget it too, so I hope I just helped you all unforget. :lolz:

This is a fun thread idea, I have some good ones coming.

BreakABone
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Well good to see the idea being expanded upon, I just wanted to introduce the core concepts of them.

As for the actual thread, I've never even heard of this album so I would say not-rated.

Swan
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I like Limp Bizkit not because they are good but quite the opposite. They are a hilariously bad band but they are fun. Great to listen to when you are just drinking with a few guys and want to rock the fuck out to some 90's crap music

Typhoid
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I actually really like this CD. I still listen to it occasionally.
For some reason I have a soft spot for Limp Bizkit deep within my heart. I used to listen to them before soccer games, maybe that's why. I also do own every one of their albums.
Also many good memories blasting this CD on roadtrips to Calgary.
Since it has personal staying power, I say with 100% bias that it's underrated.

Angrist
04-28-2010, 05:20 AM
I know Limp Bizkit because of 2 songs: their first hit (forgot the name :D) and Behind Blue Eyes.