PDA

View Full Version : Contract Phones vs Pay-As-You Go

TheSlyMoogle
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
So I stopped in at radioshack today to get a new cell phone, because mine exploded. I think I've got electric flowing inside my body now of a higher voltage or something, anyway.

So I saw this:

http://plans.boostmobile.com/blackberry.aspx

It's fairly recent but for $60 dollars a month, and a one time payment of 250 dollars I can have a blackberry curve and all the features (Boost runs off Sprint's network btw)?

Now I realize I'm paying 150 dollars more for the phone than usual, but my contract with ATT before my term ended I was paying 110 dollars a month for the same thing almost, except with lack of unlimited anytime calls.

Does anyone else here not feel like you're getting ripped off by phone companies?

I'm anxious to see more deals like this pop up as pay as you go phones gain popularity with the recent economy hit.

Either way I highly believe that when I get back my tax return I might be replacing my current pay as you go phone, with the boost service with blackberry curve. Also it's a really cool phone model for the blackberry.

Also with PAYG phones, if you are late with a payment, or miss a payment, it's no big deal, they don't charge you late fees or do anything, you just lose service until you pay up. No strings.

So what about contract deals? Let's see if anyone can find some decent contract deal things to post up here. I think phones are a pretty hot topic these days. I used to be pretty against texting and mobile web etc. stuff. After I started using it though because I got it free for a month or had to pay for it to get a lower price on a phone. Anyway, I enjoy having mobile web and unlimited texting. Actually use my phone more for that stuff than talking, but it's always nice to have a phone just in case you need to call.

FuzzTop
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
In Canada we've been getting ripped hardcore on everything involving cell phones. Up until recently there was only one company that offered 3g, now that theres 3, its still not uncommon to be paying close to $100 / month for a decent data plan. I'm paying around $70 / month after dropping $400 on a blackberry bold 9700 with a 3 year contract.

Is sprint CDMA?

Teuthida
03-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I do pay-as-you-go. $10 lasts me most of a year...I don't use my cell phone much.

TheGame
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
What's funny is, I'm tier 4 global helpdesk for boost mobile. That's my current job lol.

And yeah that's a pretty good deal. Just be aware though, that all the app downloads on that phone are handled through paypal, and boost mobile does nothing whatsoever to help with troubleshooting the app downloads, and just refers you to the company that made the apps. So if you're an app whore, be prepaired to go through a lot of crap if your app doesn't work right. But from the care perspective there's very few, but very loud complaints about that issue.

TheSlyMoogle
03-12-2010, 01:33 AM
What's funny is, I'm tier 4 global helpdesk for boost mobile. That's my current job lol.

And yeah that's a pretty good deal. Just be aware though, that all the app downloads on that phone are handled through paypal, and boost mobile does nothing whatsoever to help with troubleshooting the app downloads, and just refers you to the company that made the apps. So if you're an app whore, be prepaired to go through a lot of crap if your app doesn't work right. But from the care perspective there's very few, but very loud complaints about that issue.

Not an app whore at all if I have to pay for them.

Back when I had my blackberry with AT&T I only had the pandora App which was free. I also got rid of that after pandora bitched out on everyone.

TheGame
03-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Not an app whore at all if I have to pay for them.

Back when I had my blackberry with AT&T I only had the pandora App which was free. I also got rid of that after pandora bitched out on everyone.

Yeah, the boost one will be right up your alley then. That's a very good deal for no contract.

TheSlyMoogle
03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, the boost one will be right up your alley then. That's a very good deal for no contract.

And a smooth running BB Curve.