PDA

View Full Version : MAFIA Endgame

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Daphne set a clever trap using herself as bait causing one of the specters to be captured. She removed his mask to reveal it was takegiantsteps!

Then the remaining specter captured Daphne (Teuthida)

LUckily, the village caught this specter in the act and hauled him in to the town square.

The police, Fred, and Shaggy, with the rest of the villagers gathered around this ghoul. Fred exclaimed, "Now let's find out who this ghost really is!"

He reached out and pulled off the mask!

"*Gasp* It was old man thatmariolover!"

"But like, why did you do it, man?"

The unmasked thief responded, "We lost our jobs at the mill that closed down due to the faltering global economy, so I wanted to take this town for all it was worth. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for these meddling kids and their dog!"

Scooby Doo would have done his trademark exclamation but he's in a dungeon somewhere...

Anyways, that's the fastest a game has ever wrapped up. I'm sorry if anyone feels I play favourites in the special roles but I don't. It's all random number generator. I wanted to restart the role selection once Bond got vigilante again but didn't because that would mean I'm not being impartial in the role selection.

Hope people had fun.

Good guys win.

thatmariolover
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
And I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling kids!

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
thatmariolover was the enchanter by the way.

Teuthida
03-03-2010, 02:29 PM
What would have happened if I tried to kill TML instead since of TGS? Would there be another round since the vigilante kill goes before the mob vote?

And I had fun. Thanks Dylflon. First time I've been on the winning side I believe. :)

Xantar
03-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I refuse to believe that Bond is the vigilante. Let's think this through:

Bond is sporadically conservative. He hates it when he thinks someone is talking down to him. He is erratic. He is sometimes contrarian just for the hell of it. And he holds really long grudges.

Don't you see, people? Bond is John McCain.

ZebraRampage
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Who was the other Guardian then? Nice job TML at infiltrating our alliance. You really fooled me haha. Too bad killing the one that trusted you, me, lead the alliance to realize that it was being picked off one by one by an insider.

BlueFire
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
And I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling kids!

Darn. Ya beat me to it.

Good game, guys!

BreakABone
03-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Just some quick observation as a "Semi" outsider (And just for clarification for those who wondered why the vigilante did such a poor job, at least on the 2nd day Teuthida killed me on my personal request as I really wasn't primed to play the game or whatever.

Anyhow, what made people suspect Bluefire? He played a pretty lowkey game IMO, and wonder if TML sentenced him to death with Bond.

Second, I always find it funny that the people who don't talk enough get accused, but if you talk too much you get accused. Damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Bond is sporadically conservative. He hates it when he thinks someone is talking down to him. He is erratic. He is sometimes contrarian just for the hell of it. And he holds really long grudges.

So, he's the Maverick then?

thatmariolover
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Splitting up the various roles really made this one difficult. So many specials to kill.

BlueFire
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I don't think the mafia had a chance.. especially when one of our own members replied "fuck that" to the invitation to our special forum :p

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I split up the roles in LOST mafia and the bad guys won.

ZebraRampage
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Who was the other Guardian?

BreakABone
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Actually, the Good Guys won the Lost Mafia as well. :p
http://gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18346&highlight=Mafia

Now that I think about it

Mafia has won twice, the Thing one, and the Star Wars one
And I think the Villagers have won 4 now
And then there was Space Madness

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Why did I think bad guys won LOST mafia?

Hmmm...

Well I'll make a harder mafia next time.

manasecret
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Ooh dirt, what's the grudge about? And do you still really have a grudge on me I'm not aware of?

It was a very fun game for me. It was my first time being the Seer, and it makes it very interesting. I also found out that making yourself look suspicious to get people to make theories against you can be a very revealing tactic, though it was entirely accidental.

I think many may have figured this out, but Zebra, Bab, Bond, and I had a strong alliance by Round 1/2.

Round 1: By saying I was the enchanter, it made Zebra come up with what I thought was a genuinely honest and fair theory against me. With that, I knew he was a good guy, and I offered him a deal to prove I was innocent. By this point, I had already messaged Bond to ask him if he was really the vigilante, and he responded saying he was and couldn't believe he was the vigi four times in a row. I decided to seer him and confirm, since the Seer and Vigilante together would be a strong alliance. And this is what I offered to Zebra, that I would be able to tell him by round 2 whether Bond was really the vigilante or not.

It was risky filling in Zebra like that on both me and Bond, since I had no real proof that he was good except my instinct from his theorizing. And if he was mafia, then he knew right away who two of the specials likely were.

I also canvassed PMs out to everyone Round 1 who was voting for me (except Xantar, that meanie), asking them not to vote for me. I think Magus changed his vote because of that, which saved my ass. Sorry to Swan, but I knew I needed to live another round. TML responded to my PM, and I was hesitant to believe he was good right away.

Round 2: I told Zebra what I knew and told Bond I knew who he was. So we had a three-man alliance. From there, they talked with others and BaB especially to get some clues on them. By Round 2, BaB was in the alliance, but they could tell you more about all that.

Then I was offed by the Mafia, so I wasn't able to see where the alliance would have gone with TML.

Thespis721
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Two Mafia's down, two Mafia's won. I love being a villager! And I only got voted ONCE!

No offense to Nighthawks. Just didn't want people to slip under the wire.

Xantar
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Ooh dirt, what's the grudge about?

Don't know. If I had to guess, it's probably something about politics. In any case, I know for a fact that his decision to off me in the first round wasn't random. It's annoying, but perhaps I should have expected it.

And do you still really have a grudge on me I'm not aware of?

I don't have grudges against anybody. I do have a really long and detailed memory (just ask BlueFire) which means I remember that it used to be a fool's errand to try to debate politics with you since you wouldn't defend your beliefs (or you would condescendingly tell me to chill out and not get so emotional). I have no idea what you're like now. It's been so many years since then, we are both different people, and you're not even a real person anyway. You're just pixels on a computer screen that I poke at when I'm bored. Make of that what you will.

Edit: Since we're reminiscing about the game, I guess I'll mention here that I was in alliance with TML, BlueFire and BAB and was feeling out Bube before I got killed. I wasn't aware at that time of anybody's identity, but I was trying to play them off each other. Part of that involved revealing my status to see how they would react. I had just gotten to the point where I was hatching a plan with BAB where he would pretend to be the Seer and I would protect him in Round 2, thus giving him credibility if the mafia tried to kill him.

ZebraRampage
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Ooh dirt, what's the grudge about? And do you still really have a grudge on me I'm not aware of?

It was a very fun game for me. It was my first time being the Seer, and it makes it very interesting. I also found out that making yourself look suspicious to get people to make theories against you can be a very revealing tactic, though it was entirely accidental.

I think many may have figured this out, but Zebra, Bab, Bond, and I had a strong alliance by Round 1/2.

Round 1: By saying I was the enchanter, it made Zebra come up with what I thought was a genuinely honest and fair theory against me. With that, I knew he was a good guy, and I offered him a deal to prove I was innocent. By this point, I had already messaged Bond to ask him if he was really the vigilante, and he responded saying he was and couldn't believe he was the vigi four times in a row. I decided to seer him and confirm, since the Seer and Vigilante together would be a strong alliance. And this is what I offered to Zebra, that I would be able to tell him by round 2 whether Bond was really the vigilante or not.

It was risky filling in Zebra like that on both me and Bond, since I had no real proof that he was good except my instinct from his theorizing. And if he was mafia, then he knew right away who two of the specials likely were.

I also canvassed PMs out to everyone Round 1 who was voting for me (except Xantar, that meanie), asking them not to vote for me. I think Magus changed his vote because of that, which saved my ass. Sorry to Swan, but I knew I needed to live another round. TML responded to my PM, and I was hesitant to believe he was good right away.

Round 2: I told Zebra what I knew and told Bond I knew who he was. So we had a three-man alliance. From there, they talked with others and BaB especially to get some clues on them. By Round 2, BaB was in the alliance, but they could tell you more about all that.

Then I was offed by the Mafia, so I wasn't able to see where the alliance would have gone with TML.

Well, the alliance had some hunches, from what BaB said, and they all ended up to be wrong, which is fine because nobody really knew anything. We went after Combine because of that, and Bond decided to kill Magus with the vigilante vote. After that, I don't think we really knew who to target next, but the whole time after Mana was out I started to talk to TML just to try to add someone to the alliance. It was breaking up with BaB also being knocked out, so I figured we needed someone else to sway the votes to what we wanted. I definitely put too much trust in him, but he had quite a lot of theories, and they were very well thought out, so he seemed honest to me at the time. I was voted out then, so I don't really know what happened next, but Bond kind of informed everyone in during Round 4, so I guess that's pretty much how it went.

All right, so does anyone know who the other guardian was?

Bond
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Good game everyone. Sorry for being the vigilante again... I will sit out the next game so someone else can have the role.

Don't know. If I had to guess, it's probably something about politics. In any case, I know for a fact that his decision to off me in the first round wasn't random. It's annoying, but perhaps I should have expected it.
Haha, I knew this would come up. It's not so much that I have a grudge against you, it's more so that I didn't want to have to deal with you during the game. Like you said, "you're not even a real person anyway."

Combine 017
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Well at least we won, but thanks a lot Bond. :(

Bond
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Well at least we won, but thanks a lot Bond. :(
Can we still be friends?

Combine 017
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Can we still be friends?

Ill think about it.

TheSlyMoogle
03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Well now, I didn't expect to stay in the whole game.

1000 VOLT GHOST STRIKES AGAIN!

GET IT? GET IT? STRIKES? 1000 VOLTS? LIKE LIGHTNING? GET IT?!!!

BreakABone
03-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I guess things from my POV and some observations.

I went into this game trying not to end up in my usual role as some Alliance forming, back-dealing making mastermind, and for the most part I think I was successful. I mean sure I spoke to half the game, but Zebra was in charge of the Alliance building for the most part, and he passed along the info or whatever.

So let's see, first day I was contacted by a few people. Found out that Xantar was the Guardian, actually from I believe Bluefire, as they were forming their own little alliance, as odd as it may seem, Bond killing Xantar actually helped the villagers, since he was working with Bluefire and that would have been harmful later on.

Speaking of Bluefire, I actually started talking to him as well, and defended him when Bond started pointing a finger at him. The effectiveness of BF's Mafia strategy I think is he remains really low-key and he has a way of directing suspicious without really laying blame too much.

Also in that time, I found out that Teuthida was vigilante for even rounds (okay he told me) and that's where the idea to off me came from. Better to kill an innocent who doesn't want to play than to kill one who does.

Also started talking to Zebra on day 1 (actually there were a bunch of people, but gonna spare you all the details) and I don't know how his recruitment went with others, but he sure didn't trust me until I was dead. Actually, I don't think Teuthida trusted me until it said I was innocent when I died.

Boring details, I have come to the conclusion that a perfect alliance has no more than 4 people in it. This way you always retain voting majority and there is less chances that someone would infiltrate the ranks. As Zebra learned with TML and I learned ages ago with Teuthida and Typhoid and the first game learned with Vamp.

Second, we need new strategies for weeding out Mafia, they are hardly ever the people who are quiet nor are they the biggest talkers. If anything, they are the ones that usually blend in. The ones who never really start a voting rally, but not the ones trying to change your mind.

Now as for picking out the MAfias, the first round is always a crapshoot but oddly enough the first person I started to suspect was Magus due to the fact that he claimed he was talking to no one else. I am awesome and I know that, but he is real life friends with Bluefire and found it a bit suspect that he wasn't at least talking to him about the game. And I asked him again on the second day and same story, Schanefreude I semi-suspected, but honestly started voting for him on the second day for the very reason I said, he voted for me twice, it was nothing more than a revenge vote. Somehow, this rallied enough votes to kick him out.

I started to suspect that TML wasn't on the up and up when Zebra started speaking with him honestly. I told Zebra not to trust him, wasn't really sure why, but again its just my ego, but the fact that he didn't contact me for the first 3 days made it highly suspect.

And I was gone after the 2nd round so I have to give Bond credit for his plan to out the last Mafia member.

Now from what I saw on the Mafia end, I thought the whole picking off members of the Alliance one by one, was a rather poor strategy, at some point, someone would be able to piece together that SOMETHING was going wrong within the Alliance. Also misfiring on Zebra was a big part of the decline. Since you left the two proven Specials together, and lost the key to the house as Zebra trusted TML more than the rest of the alliance.

Similar to what happened a few games ago when Typhoid offed me, but was the only one in the Alliance vouching for him so once I was gone, all the usual suspicious arose.

So word of advice, at least from my one experience as the Mafia, don't pick off people in a list, we picked them based on their voting pattern, if someone was voting against us too often, get rid of them, if someone is suspect, don't kill them. Make it the suspicious grow, maybe kill off someone who was pointing fingers at them. If you get in close with a good guy, stick to them, don't off people they mention.

If you are a villager, make an alliance with no more than 4 people and that includes the people another person may have made an alliance with, you don't want a 20 man alliance, it makes for hurt feelings when voting.

Xantar
03-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Good game everyone. Sorry for being the vigilante again... I will sit out the next game so someone else can have the role.

Haha, I knew this would come up. It's not so much that I have a grudge against you, it's more so that I didn't want to have to deal with you during the game. Like you said, "you're not even a real person anyway."

So basically, you were afraid that I would do something untoward and it wasn't because of anything I was doing at the time but because of what you knew of me several years ago?

I rest my case.

Bond
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM
So basically, you were afraid that I would do something untoward and it wasn't because of anything I was doing at the time but because of what you knew of me several years ago?

I rest my case.
Precisely (although I wouldn't use the word "afraid," I would say "didn't want to be annoyed"). I'm glad we have an understanding. :)

Xantar
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm glad to know that I, a collection of pixels on a computer screen, somehow have the extraordinary power to annoy you. I would point out here that it's usually not a good idea to tell someone who annoys you that they annoy you since that just encourages them to do it more.

But don't worry. I'm content to just let you reveal your own petty vanity. Not that it seems to need more demonstration. I've been noticing that some people around here don't seem to take you very seriously.

But by all means, have the last word. Go on. Don't fight the urge to lash out at the pixels!

Combine 017
03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I would point out here that it's usually not a good idea to tell someone who annoys you that they annoy you since that just encourages them to do it more.

Maybe for people who are immature or just get off at making other people angry.
If someone tells me im annoying I generally try to avoid them to prevent further conflicts.

Back to Mafia.
For future reference, if you take my number I will vote for you, regardless of what role you have. :)

ridkidjory
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
i was the other guardian

TheSlyMoogle
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm glad to know that I, a collection of pixels on a computer screen, somehow have the extraordinary power to annoy you. I would point out here that it's usually not a good idea to tell someone who annoys you that they annoy you since that just encourages them to do it more.

But don't worry. I'm content to just let you reveal your own petty vanity. Not that it seems to need more demonstration. I've been noticing that some people around here don't seem to take you very seriously.

But by all means, have the last word. Go on. Don't fight the urge to lash out at the pixels!

If by some people you mean unimportant people... yeah.

Bond is awesome. STFU.

manasecret
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Oooh Xantar is catty.

I do think that maybe the mafia had it particularly hard this game, but then again the enchanter role should have evened it out a bit, since it would have bought the mafia at least one extra round if TML's power got to be used. It just turns out it didn't end up helping.

jeepnut
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Yay villagers! Boo drama!

BlueFire
03-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Yay villagers! Boo drama!

This.

Dylflon
03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
So did everyone have fun?

I'd be down to run a conversion game some time in the future since the Thing Mafia has still proven to be the most intense one to date.

BreakABone
03-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I'd be down to run a conversion game some time in the future since the Thing Mafia has still proven to be the most intense one to date.

Could I help run the conversion one?
Its the only thing I haven't done Mafia related.
That and be the Seer.

ZebraRampage
03-04-2010, 12:31 AM

How would this work exactly?

TheSlyMoogle
03-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Like a giant MSN convo?

BreakABone
03-04-2010, 03:00 AM
How would this work exactly?

Like a giant MSN convo?

The conversion Mafia was the very first Mafia, Dylflon ran.

If I remember correctly, at the start of the game, there was only one Mafia member, and each round, he was able to "infect" a good guy and turn him or was it every other round, anyhow it was something along those lines. And when the original MAfia was killed off, no new ones could be made.

So it became a game of paranoia since someone you allied with could suddenly turn evil and you'd be in trouble.

TheSlyMoogle
03-04-2010, 07:39 AM
The conversion Mafia was the very first Mafia, Dylflon ran.

If I remember correctly, at the start of the game, there was only one Mafia member, and each round, he was able to "infect" a good guy and turn him or was it every other round, anyhow it was something along those lines. And when the original MAfia was killed off, no new ones could be made.

So it became a game of paranoia since someone you allied with could suddenly turn evil and you'd be in trouble.

Oh like I read Conversation Mafia, not conversion. Whoops. However suppose a Mafia could be done in a giant MSN convo, over the course of a couple of hours max.

Invasion of the body snatchers Mafia GO!

Professor S
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Now I'm sorry I missed this one. For the first time ever I have seen a player take a Mafia game personally.

A Mafia game... personally...

Wow, apparently old wounds heal slowly.

Bube
03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Mafia has won twice, the Thing one, and the Star Wars one
And I think the Villagers have won 4 now
And then there was Space Madness

I was the winner of Space Madness. Just wanted to point it out :p

This was a very surprising round. I can't believe we got the last 2 in one round.

And for those who thought I was mafia - hah! :p

The Germanator
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Sorry about the inactivity. My hard drive ended up failing, and I'm just back on track now. Bummed I missed it.