PDA

View Full Version : Leave your computer on or turn it off every night?

ZebraRampage
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I got into a discussion with someone about this recently, so I thought I'd bring it here.

So, are you the kind of person who leaves their computer on all day and night and never turns it off, or are you the kind of person who turns it off every night?

I always turn my computers off at night and turn them on again the next day.

I just figured that it's best to give the computer a rest. I know that the main case for leaving it on is so you don't restart it all the time, but I still think that giving it a rest is better for it. So which do you do?

Combine 017
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I usually leave it on all the time, but I put it to sleep when im not using it.

The Germanator
02-01-2010, 10:01 PM
A little bit of both for me. I'll leave it on if I happen to be downloading all of the legal things that I download, but if not I'll either put in hibernate or turn it off.

Typhoid
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Computer is always on. I just turn the screen off when it's not being used.

Fox 6
02-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I turn mine off.

Is there any real gain/problem with leaving it on or turning it off and on?

Teuthida
02-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Computer is always on. I just turn the screen off when it's not being used.

This.

gekko
02-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Is there any real gain/problem with leaving it on or turning it off and on?

Gain leaving it on? Sure, higher power consumption, larger bill, etc. No gain for leaving it on, not at home at least. Generally sleep uses almost no electricity, so you can sleep it as opposed to leaving it on and running.

Angrist
02-02-2010, 05:13 AM
My computer is probably only on for 1 or 2 hours a day. Now that I don't use internet at home, there are days that it's not on at all.

My Wii has been getting all my love lately.

Vampyr
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I turn mine off every night.

TheGame
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I never turn off my Ps3 or computer. lol Still $30 per month electric bills, so no worries here..

Bond
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Turning any electronic device off (or sleep) when I don't anticipate using it for an extended period of time seems like the responsible thing to do to me.

Jonbo298
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Hibernate FTW

KillerGremlin
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I put mine on Stand By.

Angrist
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Turning any electronic device off (or sleep) when I don't anticipate using it for an extended period of time seems like the responsible thing to do to me.+rep

If everyone would do that, imagine the energy we would save.

I studied at a 'green' university, but they always keep the PCs on during nights and weekends when the building is closed. How messed up is that? :unsure:

KillerGremlin
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
I think more people should make use of the Sleep/Hibernate/Stand By features. I put my computer on Stand By and it comes back to life in about 5 seconds. I typically only restart for updates or when my hardware is acting wonky.

Dyne
02-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Well, work and home are different stories. Unless I'm downloading something, the home computer stays asleep. There's no reason to put needless harm on the fan or have all these random processes pop up and put extra crap on RAM.

At work, I trust the thousands of dollars they invest in security. Also, I run a ton of automation overnight so it's mandatory that I lock it and not put it to sleep.