PDA

View Full Version : LOST Tonight: (2/2 - "LA X")

Bond
01-31-2010, 11:56 PM
I am so excited!!!

Typhoid
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I watched the final episode of Season 5 the other day - and something deep inside of me makes me think they'll explain everything with non-conventional spirituality.

Bond
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
What do you mean by non-conventional spirituality?

manasecret
02-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't even remember what happened in last season's finale. I guess that recap episode before the premiere will actually be helpful.

BreakABone
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Awesome, Lost has a Lazarus Pit.

Ra's Al Ghul would be so pissed at them!

manasecret
02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Jacob and the other guy are angels. The other guy being Satan. Angels can't kill other angels. Satan can't go back to heaven until Jacob is dead. Satan wants to go home.

BlueFire
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Good episodes.

Fox 6
02-03-2010, 02:53 AM
crazy.....

Bond
02-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Jacob and the other guy are angels. The other guy being Satan. Angels can't kill other angels. Satan can't go back to heaven until Jacob is dead. Satan wants to go home.
I had similar thoughts, but I have to believe it's a little more complicated than just that.

Typhoid
02-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Good episodes....I think.
I don't know if I really like the direction this is possibly taking.

Teuthida
02-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Not everything spiritual in nature has to conform to Judeo-Christian lore. The statue Jacob was under is the Egyptian goddess of birth, rebirth and the northern sky. Jacob and Smokey are physical nature. I mean, Jacob had a ghost after dying. Do angels have ghosts? Although the part about going home I can see. Home could also just be the temple the Jacob tribe is protecting. They might even be aliens for all we know....four toed aliens...and the temple is a spaceship/warp portal.

And notice how crappy the underwater cgi was? They're in the matrix...and Smokey is an agent!

What do you think about Parallel Jack's neck blood?

manasecret
02-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree the Angel/Satan description is too simplistic. But those were some quick thoughts.

Any theory will have to include the parallel world, and right now, I have no theories on that.

Some things of note in the parallel universe:
The plane doesn't crash (duh).
The island is at the bottom of the sea (duh), and presumably now destroyed.
Shannon (the tall blonde that Sayid fell in love with early on) was not on the plane, because her stepbrother, Boone couldn't convince her to leave her boyfriend in Australia. I don't remember the backstory here -- can it be explained by the fact the island is destroyed?
Desmond is now on the plane, presumably because the island is destroyed and so he never went to the island and never caused the plane to crash. He also (perhaps) disappears from the plane before landing.
Jack seems to recognize Desmond. Can that be explained normally? Didn't they meet before?
Locke is still paralyzed and presumably lied about going on the walkabout.
Hugo is now the luckiest man in the world -- presumably because he didn't use the numbers from the island to win the lotto.
Jack had blood on his neck -- from what?
Charlie tried to commit suicide on the plane. I don't remember how that is different.
Jack's dad Christian and his coffin are now missing from the plane.
Locke's bag of knives is missing from the plane.Anything else?

Bond
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting observation here. Locke's description of his alleged walkabout was very similar to how one would describe one's time on the island to a complete stranger.

Also, Teuthida, that's true. It could very well be that Jacob and Nemesis have influenced past religions / cultures across different times, and the end is only culminating now under a Judeo-Christian worldview.

Edit: Seems like I was right about Nemesis and the smoke monster being the same person! Yay!

I think another reasonable conclusion is that in the one parallel world where the survivors didn't crash, the survivors are significantly worse off than in the parallel world where the survivor did crash. That is to say, the survivors found redemption for their wrongs through each other and the island.

manasecret
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Not everything spiritual in nature has to conform to Judeo-Christian lore. The statue Jacob was under is the Egyptian goddess of birth, rebirth and the northern sky. Jacob and Smokey are physical nature. I mean, Jacob had a ghost after dying. Do angels have ghosts? Although the part about going home I can see. Home could also just be the temple the Jacob tribe is protecting. They might even be aliens for all we know....four toed aliens...and the temple is a spaceship/warp portal.

Also, Teuthida, that's true. It could very well be that Jacob and Nemesis have influenced past religions / cultures across different times, and the end is only culminating now under a Judeo-Christian worldview.

Ahh I like these ideas. Remember the quote when we first met Jacob:

"They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same." --Man in black
"It only ends once. Everything that comes before is just progress." --Man in white

Interesting observation here. Locke's description of his alleged walkabout was very similar to how one would describe one's time on the island to a complete stranger.

Interesting observation -- do you have a hypothesis leading from that?

Teuthida
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree the Angel/Satan description is too simplistic. But those were some quick thoughts.

Any theory will have to include the parallel world, and right now, I have no theories on that.

Some things of note in the parallel universe:
The plane doesn't crash (duh).
The island is at the bottom of the sea (duh), and presumably now destroyed.
Shannon (the tall blonde that Sayid fell in love with early on) was not on the plane, because her stepbrother, Boone couldn't convince her to leave her boyfriend in Australia. I don't remember the backstory here -- can it be explained by the fact the island is destroyed?
Desmond is now on the plane, presumably because the island is destroyed and so he never went to the island and never caused the plane to crash. He also (perhaps) disappears from the plane before landing.
Jack seems to recognize Desmond. Can that be explained normally? Didn't they meet before?
Hugo is now the luckiest man in the world -- presumably because he didn't use the numbers from the island to win the lotto.
Jack had blood on his neck -- from what?
Charlie tried to commit suicide on the plane. I don't remember how that is different.
Jack's dad Christian and his coffin are now missing from the plane.
Locke's bag of knives is missing from the plane.Anything else?

- Shannon not leaving Australia (the actress didn't want to come back)

- Jack received one bottle instead of two. Also didn't he have a crewcut the first time?

- Charlie tried swallowing the drugs instead of flushing them.

- Locke might have gone on the walkabout (or remembers being on the island; either way he's acting like he did when he first arrived on the island rather than his mopey self)

- No Michael or Walt (Walt's too old but still could have shown Michael)

- Rose didn't have the ring around her neck...the whole finger swelling thing from before.

- Hurley thing about being lucky.

- Desmond being on the plane....might not actually have been there? Didn't Jack and Desmond meet off the island first when running in that stadium?

- Something different about Jack not having a pen and Kate did? I don't remember.

Fox 6
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Interesting to see how this alternate universe works out....

manasecret
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
- Shannon not leaving Australia (the actress didn't want to come back)

Is that the only explanation? Did an event on the island cause her to previously get on the plane with Boone?

- Jack received one bottle instead of two. Also didn't he have a crewcut the first time?Huh? He got two this time. I thought that whole conversation with the stewardess was the same as before.

- Charlie tried swallowing the drugs instead of flushing them.Ah ok so that was the difference. Though he sure did seem like he meant to commit suicide, though not necessarily.

- Locke might have gone on the walkabout (or remembers being on the island; either way he's acting like he did when he first arrived on the island rather than his mopey self)I think he is acting the same as before. During previous scenes of him working at his computer job, Locke had moments of being very confident bordering on delusional like he was on the island, interspersed with moments of mopeyness. He displayed both of these traits in the parallel universe, mopey when he was getting put on the wheelchair after landing.

- No Michael or Walt (Walt's too old but still could have shown Michael)Knew I was forgetting someone! I wonder what that means.

- Rose didn't have the ring around her neck...the whole finger swelling thing from before. Ring around her neck? Finger swelling thing? I don't remember any of that...

- Hurley thing about being lucky.

- Desmond being on the plane....might not actually have been there? Didn't Jack and Desmond meet off the island first when running in that stadium?They did meet off the island while running. My question is, was their meeting at the stadium set up by the events that happened on the island?

- Something different about Jack not having a pen and Kate did? I don't remember.My girlfriend picked up on that. Did Kate steal it somehow?

Not in the parallel universe, but what the f is the deal with the stewardess working with the Jacob tribe?

BreakABone
02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
My girlfriend picked up on that. Did Kate steal it somehow?

Not in the parallel universe, but what the f is the deal with the stewardess working with the Jacob tribe?

I assume Kate stole the pen when she bumped into Jack coming out of the bathroom.

Fox 6
02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Ring around her neck? Finger swelling thing? I don't remember any of that...

Rose sais she wore bernards wedding ring around her neck because his fingers welled up whenever he flew.

That stewardess was taken away early on in the series, and she was seen again in the second or third season with Bens othrs if im not mistaken.

manasecret
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Smoke Monster being the Nemesis who can then take on the form of dead people explains some of the strange transformations of character when it attacked people before. The ones I specifically remember, though there may be more, were the crew that crash landed along with that French chick who was on the island forever.

Which also makes Sayid coming back alive a very treacherous development.

Typhoid
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I think Sayid is now the vessel for Jacob, which is why they had to kill him.

I think the Hurley being lucky thing now makes sense. I mean - he heard the numbers from a guy in an asylum who heard them from a radio that was recieving the transmission from the Island - so if the transmission was never made, Hurley was never affected.

A line I liked was when someone said "Nothing is irreversible."

Fox 6
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Which also makes Sayid coming back alive a very treacherous development.

I dont think thats the case. When the monster took the form of Locke, he didnt take over his body, just his shape. We know it was Sayids body in the temple that came back to life.

manasecret
02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I dont think thats the case. When the monster took the form of Locke, he didnt take over his body, just his shape. We know it was Sayids body in the temple that came back to life.

Ah! Very good point. Which lends heavy credence to Typhoid's idea of Sayid's body as a vessel for Jacob.

Dylflon
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Sean :p

I think the idea that Jack and Locke would have been friends had the plane never crashed is amazing.

When the Nemesis guy talks about John's last thoughts...oh man. The stuff he says about Locke puts his whole character arc in perspective. Although we see it throughout, it's easy to forget since John always acts as though he has this extreme important, most of the time he didn't really know what he was doing, and he just wanted meaning in his life so badly.

Bond
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Smoke Monster being the Nemesis who can then take on the form of dead people explains some of the strange transformations of character when it attacked people before. The ones I specifically remember, though there may be more, were the crew that crash landed along with that French chick who was on the island forever.
Yup. I thought Locke was the smoke monster based on the scene with him and Ben in the temple last season. That might actually be my first prediction that proved to be true.

In any case, my other theory is very similar to Typhoid's. Jacob now inhabits Sayid's body, which will lead to an epic clash at the temple. Interestingly, if you look at the poster for season 6 I posted a while back, Sayid assumes the role of Judas in the poster, and Locke assumes the role of Jesus. Very interesting...

And I also think mana is right with the angels overarch. I don't believe angels can theologically kill other angels, although I will have to research that. Angels also cannot tamper with God's desire for humans to have free will, which is why Jacob reminded Ben that "you have a choice."

The true magic of LOST is this mutual melding of science and religon. So often in society we are told these two worldviews at not compatible, but I believe LOST's underlying message may indeed be that they are, and are much more interesting when intertwined.

Teuthida
02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1PAB6Sgdp8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1PAB6Sgdp8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

They did manage to answer some of these in the last ep. The song didn't cover the ones I'm most curious about:

What's the deal with Walt's magical powers. Seriously, I need to know this.
The deal with Aaron Turniphead.
Why babies can't be born on the island (though I imagine this will be answered given the goddess statue.) Is on the list towards the end.
How come Daniel Faraday's last name wasn't either that of his mother or father...and why he has an American accent when neither parent is American and grew up in England.

Teuthida
02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SwvvHsJoMe4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SwvvHsJoMe4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://www.sl-lost.com/images/lostavatar2.jpg