PDA

View Full Version : The Apple iPad

Thespis721
01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Okay. They finally released a tablet and to be quite honest, I don't think it's all that bad. All the forums and internet and commenters are flipping out about how it doesn't have this and it doesn't have that, but I think everyone is missing the point.

The iPad is the FIRST STEP towards something that could be great.

Would I buy it now? Heck no! I try not to buy first generation devices, but I understand it's missing:

Flash
Multi-tasking
Camera
External storage
Removable batteries
e-ink technologies
Etc

Sure it doesn't have stylus pen capabilities yet, sure it's limited to the closed system that is Apple's iPhone OS 3.2, and sure it's aesthetics are premature. But you gotta take a first step first. How Apple develops the device will depend on how great it'll be. People complained how the iPhone was a horrid smartphone but could see the potential. Same with Android.

Compare iPhone 3GS to the original iPhone
Compare the Droid or Nexus One to the G1

If Apple sticks with it and doesn't drop support, listen to their fans, and impliment them properly, then this could be an astounding change in how do things. This could even change education (if they can implement writing styles into it).

That's my 2 cents. I'm waiting for iPad 2.0

Fox 6
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
The $499 price kinda surprised me.

manasecret
01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
The $499 price kinda surprised me.

LOL I had the same reaction.

Everything is typical Apple. Take a regular tablet, remove most of the features but make it sleek and look sexy, and then call it "magical" and overcharge for it. So it has everything of their typical product except the overcharging.

Which to me is my biggest complaint of Apple products. I don't care if you take away features from a product, but don't then turn around and charge even more for something with less.

EDIT: Then again, as far as price, compared to the Kindle and Nook this is much more expensive. So I take it back -- this is exactly another typical Apple product. I'm sure it will sell billions.

The Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid, on the other hand, looks like everything the iPad should be.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/2010-01-05u1hybridpage.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-hands-on-and-impressions/

But I'm sure it won't sell nearly as much.

Vampyr
01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
This is also much better than the Nook and the Kindle.

It's basically a large iphone, and it's cheaper than the iphone, which is logical since smaller technologies are more costly to produce.

I'm not saying it isn't over priced, but it's not as overpriced as some are making it out to be.

manasecret
01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
This is also much better than the Nook and the Kindle.

It's basically a large iphone, and it's cheaper than the iphone, which is logical is cheaper technologies are more costly to produce.

I'm not saying it isn't over priced, but it's not as overpriced as some are making it out to be.

I assume you meant smaller technologies.

And I revert my opinion once again. You're right, the price for how much it can do vs. the price for a Nook or Kindle and what they can do is very fair. I think it being "much better" is too subjective of a meaning, but it can certainly do more.

And since it seems to be sans Apple Tax, this looks like it might be the first Apple product I consider buying.

Typhoid
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
So it's just a large iphone minus being able to call people, then?

Fox 6
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I's say its more along the lines of a netbook lite.

Typhoid
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Well I just saw a little blurb on it - and the guy they were interviewing said it's basically a large iphone - and for the first while will only have the same apps that the iphone has.

Whoever pays 900 bucks for this thing is a fool.

Fox 6
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I just saw a little blurb on it - and the guy they were interviewing said it's basically a large iphone - and for the first while will only have the same apps that the iphone has.

Whoever pays 900 bucks for this thing is a fool.

$499

dropCGCF
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
$499 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi ONLY version.

No expandable storage?
No Flash?
No camera?

NO THANKS.

Vampyr
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM

And I revert my opinion once again. You're right, the price for how much it can do vs. the price for a Nook or Kindle and what they can do is very fair. I think it being "much better" is too subjective of a meaning, but it can certainly do more.

And since it seems to be sans Apple Tax, this looks like it might be the first Apple product I consider buying.

Yeah, I meant smaller.

Some of the guys I work with and I were talking about it today - I'm not sure why anyone would want the 3G, or be concerned with having another device with a camera. It seems silly to pay for another 3G dataplan when you probably will not be carrying this thing around outside your home. And if you're going on a trip, load it up before you leave.

Also I'm pretty sure it connects to your computer, so there's your expandable storage.

I'm not sure why I'm defending it, though, since I probably won't get one. I just feel like it's getting a bad rap for no reason.

gekko
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't get it. I'm already carrying a phone, and I can get an Air for a light laptop. I don't really see the market for a middle product.

Bond
01-28-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't get it. I'm already carrying a phone, and I can get an Air for a light laptop. I don't really see the market for a middle product.
Me either. The only thing I see, from a business perspective, is that Apple is trying to undercut the competition with the $499 price tag.

Zen
01-28-2010, 02:08 AM
The only thing I would like this for is reading books, so im interested in this ibook store thing, ive wanted a kindle for the longest time now. I would also use it for music but I would feel akward as hell lugging that thing around with me :P

Typhoid
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
$499

The high-end version is $849.

So yes, if you want the worse version - 500 is correct.

Thespis721
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Agreed on this point. I don't think anyone can REASONABLY make an argument that this device is TOO expensive or has an Apple Tax. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but when you compare it to devices in it's class, the Kindle and Nook are similarly priced at their deluxe editions and this does an amazing amount more. Also, if you look at the iPod touch, it's only a few hundred more and it has significantly more features then the iPod.

Well it does a lot more then an iPhone does already with iWork, the e-books, etc, etc. It DOES look like an iPhone, which is is disappointing. Plus, I guarantee that you'll be able to make VoIP calls or Google Voice with it. It's already been established that you can attach a bluetooth headset to it and iCall works with it.

$499 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi ONLY version.

No expandable storage?
No Flash?
No camera?

NO THANKS.

Exactly my point. It's missing that stuff which makes it immature, but all technologies MUST start somewhere. Computers didn't come out of the box feature rich, neither did the cell phones, smartphones, TVs, etc. You gotta see how it develops.

I think there's a vast difference between $1500 for a laptop or $500 for an iPad.

thatmariolover
01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
For all of its limitations this thing is more functional than most netbooks. Particularly when you see the productivity apps available for it and consider the hardware inside.

The iWork suite has been split into three apps, Pages (Word Processor), Numbers (Spreadsheets), and Keynote (Interactive Presentations). Each of them have gotten a multitouch rewrite that actually look more functional than their desktop counterparts. $10 apiece, down from the $99 Mac OS suite.

The only reason the hardware is so cheap (and relatively, it's dirt cheap) is because Apple is manufacturing all of the components themselves. They bought a chip manufacturing plant and designed their own mobile processor, A4 as they've dubbed it. They designed the battery. They designed the OS. It's insanely snappy, has an incredible library of apps already available, and has the iTunes store in your pocket on a 10" LED IPS screen.

Also, I can see the iPad exploding in various businesses. But none moreso than the medical industry. This is the tablet that they've been waiting for. It has the speed they need, the display they need, an SDK so they can develop the apps that they need, and more importantly, it's reasonably priced.

I really don't think this is going to be a flop. It's just going to take a little time for us to really figure out everything we can do with this device.

Vampyr
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM

The same reason you would buy a kindle or a nook?

This thing will definitely not be a flop - I've already heard a ton of people in classes and at work talking about how much they want one.

Fox 6
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
For all of its limitations this thing is more functional than most netbooks. Particularly when you see the productivity apps available for it and consider the hardware inside.

The iWork suite has been split into three apps, Pages (Word Processor), Numbers (Spreadsheets), and Keynote (Interactive Presentations). Each of them have gotten a multitouch rewrite that actually look more functional than their desktop counterparts. $10 apiece, down from the $99 Mac OS suite.

The only reason the hardware is so cheap (and relatively, it's dirt cheap) is because Apple is manufacturing all of the components themselves. They bought a chip manufacturing plant and designed their own mobile processor, A4 as they've dubbed it. They designed the battery. They designed the OS. It's insanely snappy, has an incredible library of apps already available, and has the iTunes store in your pocket on a 10" LED IPS screen.

Also, I can see the iPad exploding in various businesses. But none moreso than the medical industry. This is the tablet that they've been waiting for. It has the speed they need, the display they need, an SDK so they can develop the apps that they need, and more importantly, it's reasonably priced.

I really don't think this is going to be a flop. It's just going to take a little time for us to really figure out everything we can do with this device.

Now that so mention it, it makes perfect sense for medical uses. My family doctor already uses a kind of tablet to check info and to write and print prescriptions.

gekko
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
The same reason you would buy a kindle or a nook?

I would be interested in a Kindle due to the screen which is easy on the eyes. Not sure what a Nook is. I don't really like reading on a monitor, so I'd like to give one a try some day. The iPad, from what I can tell, is another LCD.

Even if I had an iPad, I would always have an iPad + iPhone, since it can't make calls (and I wouldn't want to hold it to my ear). So any minor stuff I need to do, like check a calendar, I would still do on my phone. If I have business to do, I'll need a laptop since the iPad wouldn't allow me to do any work.

ZebraRampage
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't see myself ever wanting to use this, even if it gets more applications added to it in the future. I really have no desire to have any screen being touched by my fingers either. Steve Jobs actually said that, everyone has a laptop and a smart phone these days. I JUST got my laptop on Tuesday, and I don't have a stupid smart phone. I don't want to live my life on my phone like most people do who have them. Also, whoever gets this iPad isn't going to use it for its full potential. It'll just become another device to go on facebook with, or whatever applications most people use these days. I know that this doesn't apply to everyone, but you can't disagree that a lot of people get this new stuff just because it's new and looks shiny and allows them to do the same few things they do on their computers anyway.

Acebot44
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsjU0K8QPhs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsjU0K8QPhs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Vampyr
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I would be interested in a Kindle due to the screen which is easy on the eyes. Not sure what a Nook is. I don't really like reading on a monitor, so I'd like to give one a try some day. The iPad, from what I can tell, is another LCD.

Even if I had an iPad, I would always have an iPad + iPhone, since it can't make calls (and I wouldn't want to hold it to my ear). So any minor stuff I need to do, like check a calendar, I would still do on my phone. If I have business to do, I'll need a laptop since the iPad wouldn't allow me to do any work.

I spend the majority of my time reading off of monitors, so I'm either immune to the effects or they are way overhyped.

And like I said, I can't imagine anyone carrying this around with them outside their home, other than on road trips or flights, so no real need to even mention it's calling capabilities.

The only thing I consider "bad" out of all the things I've heard about it is the battery life. 10 hours in "optimal"...so average will probably be a lot less than that. Not bad for use around your house, but if you were on a long trip or something that would be annoying.

TheSlyMoogle
01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I spend the majority of my time reading off of monitors, so I'm either immune to the effects or they are way overhyped.

And like I said, I can't imagine anyone carrying this around with them outside their home, other than on road trips or flights, so no real need to even mention it's calling capabilities.

The only thing I consider "bad" out of all the things I've heard about it is the battery life. 10 hours in "optimal"...so average will probably be a lot less than that. Not bad for use around your house, but if you were on a long trip or something that would be annoying.

Mmm well the iphone eats batteries like candy as well, so this doesn't surprise me. And I can guarantee it wont get 10 hours even at optimal setting. Probably apple sat in a room with optimal temp, optimal lighting, and optimal assholes to predict this number.

Still think the only product apple has made so far that I still consider a good investment is the iPod. So much time spent with music, and my 30 GB video iPod is still rolling along. iPod is so tasty. :D

My thoughts about iPad:

It will be hella useful for so many jobs.
Those uber douche types will buy it because it's from apple.
I really expected some serious innovation from Apple. Hate them as I might, they're always the first to make new things, and then other companies improve those things for me later. Giant iPod touch/iPhone. I actually don't understand why this wasn't created a year or 2 ago bar from the fact that the internal parts might have been quite a bit behind. I remember one day being like "Lol, probably should just make this iPhone 10x bigger and sell that shit to people" Tah dunh! They're doing it now.

Also Lack of Flash = Lack of pretty much the internet anyway.

thatmariolover
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
No, 10 hours is realistic for basic music listening and whatnot. Particularly if you're not constantly using your wifi/3g. For what it does it actually has really good battery life. Namely because Apple built both the battery and the super efficient A4 processor that they put in it.

dropCGCF
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Also Lack of Flash = Lack of pretty much the internet anyway.

DING DING DING.

Let's pay all this money for technology that we *may* get some free apps for someday.

:retard:

It's honestly like licensing hardware, which BELIEVE ME, is a bad idea.

Thespis721
01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Again. I think you can make calls via VoIP with a bluetooth headset. But regarding the Flash and calling issues, I think that'll be corrected soon. Adobe is a little pissed they haven't been included yet, however, the only phone I've seen with Flash has been the Pre, and it's not released yet, and it SUCKS. I think Apple is waiting till the technology is a little more refined.

Even still, this is a GREAT read. Really captures my point of view that while this iPad may not be for you, the iPad is the first step towards a lot of potential.

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/

Angrist
01-29-2010, 08:15 AM
This thread needs more pictures. I've yet to see this 'iPad'.

Also, I don't get it. I've had a Sony iPad for ages!
http://img352.yfrog.com/img352/9033/478z.jpg
http://img352.yfrog.com/i/478z.jpg/

thatmariolover
01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Flash isn't on iPad for the same reason it isn't on the iPhone.

The single leading source of application crashes on Mac OS X is Flash - a component that Apple can’t fix. And ignoring crashes, it takes a much more powerful Mac to play HD flash videos than on a PC - all because of Adobe's bad programming.

Flash has widereaching capabilities, and would have to be able to access the memory of any app in order to display something in them. Imagine if your favorite apps were suddenly slower and crashed more often just because Apple introduced a poorly written implementation of Flash. It doesn't make sense. Adobe needs to get their stuff together and prove that they can develop a version of Flash that Apple is willing to use.

Edit:
According to Tom's Hardware, the iPad can handle 10 hours of HD video without a recharge.

KillerGremlin
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/4a/IPadnano.png
http://i.imgur.com/wApCi.png

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7995/appleipad.jpg

And that sums up my thoughts.

Also, reading on a computer is a bitch on the eyes. This won't be the Kindle killer unless it comes with a lifetime supply of free Aspirin.

thatmariolover
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Also, reading on a computer is a bitch on the eyes. This won't be the Kindle killer unless it comes with a lifetime supply of free Aspirin.

It's not a bitch on the eyes, it's just not e-ink. Which means if you have trouble staring at and LED screen usually, you might. It also means you'll be able to read without direct light. And considering the screen size, actual strain should be much better than any smartphone you're already looking at. And no worse than any other tablet on the market - better than most, considering the quality of the display. If Apple had gone with E-Ink, books are all it would be able to do. Who wants just another proprietary e-book reader? Nobody. But you add the app store and a nicer screen and it's suddenly worthwhile for a fair few people.

Thespis721
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I think people just tend to exaggerate on the internet. I've only known one person who literally CAN'T look at a screen for that long without hurting their eyes. That's my mom. And she can't play video games either. I think gamer here who sits around and plays video games, especially on handhelds, can handle this screen.

TheSlyMoogle
01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Whatever I'm going to go ahead an say if I ever find the need for such a useless accessory, then I will be purchasing the lenovo thing when it is perfected. It's basically a netbook and iPad in 1? Only not called something similar to a feminine napkin? Sold.

gekko
01-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I think people just tend to exaggerate on the internet. I've only known one person who literally CAN'T look at a screen for that long without hurting their eyes. That's my mom. And she can't play video games either. I think gamer here who sits around and plays video games, especially on handhelds, can handle this screen.

Monitors strain my eyes. My computers run with brightness on 0 (which is insanely bright for 0), and what I do stare at all day (code), I use black on gray to reduce the contrast. Much less painful than black on white all day, and white on black is the same high-contrast strain.

If I had more options with an LCD e-book reader, such as adjusting the colors, I would be fine. But since I haven't heard of one, it's what makes e-ink so attractive.

I should note however, I never used to be bothered. Took 4 years away from flashing screens before I noticed it.

Fox 6
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/775608220_HL2Ac-L.jpg