PDA

View Full Version : 100 Bullets Read-A-Long Song!

Swan
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the first ever Comic Geek Read-A-Long Song. We decided it would be an interesting experience to pick a book that no one has read before ( at least none of the 3 people who agreed to do this) and read along offering feedback and discussion.

100 Bullets is the first series.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/100Bullets_vol1.jpg

Now little is known about the actual series since no one wanted to spoil it ahead of time, but here is some brief info via Wikipedia.

Both the writing and artwork in 100 Bullets exemplifies the noir and pulp genres of popular modern fiction. It presents morally ambiguous stories with dark realism. Consistent with noir convention, most of the characters are deeply flawed.[2] As is also quite common in such genres, 100 Bullets is frequently and graphically violent.

100 Bullets is notable for creator/writer Brian Azzarello's realistic use of regional and local dialects/accents, as well as the frequent, sometimes dense use of slang and oblique, metaphorical language in his characters' dialogue.

We will try and space it so that every read completes an arc so it is easier to discuss and that everyone paces themselves (it avoids spoilers and the likes)
I have been informed by the SquEarl that arcs will be posted on Wiki!

So we three shall have fun!

Fox 6
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
We?

magus113
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I told Earl I was down. How are we doing this?

BreakABone
01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I told Earl I was down. How are we doing this?

I thought the best way to do it, would be a story arc a day, if folks find it too slow/too fast we could speed it up.

First arc is called 100 Bullets, and has issues 1-3.

Zen
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Will you be providing ways to get this?, ie links?

BreakABone
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Will you be providing ways to get this?, ie links?

You know how I feel about downloading comics :lol: :lolz:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4cc0b95caa9a0c7dd5a101cf914073b490e449742f28b986

The Reading
So today is issues 4-5 I believe, but that seems light on readin so think we can go to 8, which seems to be a standalone.

100 Bullets
The first story was pretty cool, set up a lot of elements I hope we return to later. First of all was the concept of 100 bullets as Dizzy was given a gun with 100 rounds of ammo, if my counting if corect, she used 4 of them at the end of the story.

She is also working for some shady organization.

Zen
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Ive read issues 1-3, how far up this thing are you guys now? I want to catch up.

I dont have much to say on it, since the chapter is very introductory, im sure it will be revealed later why these people would even bother helping her out with this.

Edit: I like the cover artist much better than the insides guy.

Edit 2: testing this reason for editing thing i just noticed....dont mind me...

BreakABone
01-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Well since everyone seems to be falling behind or are just so stoked that they have just been reading.

Gonna say catch-up over the weekend, which means the first 20 issues should be done by Sunday night or whatever.

Swan
01-22-2010, 03:04 AM
20!

And sorry folks, been busy with school and tests this week. That and beer and social activities

BreakABone
01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
20!

And sorry folks, been busy with school and tests this week. That and beer and social activities

Well, 19 is the better place to end, but such an odd number.

That said, I finished the first 19, and the story is both interesting and well confounding, I want to know more. :lol:

I've liked some of the later issues, but since no one else is there far, won't ruin yet.

sykopenguin
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Finished 1-5. Gotta get the next volume tomorrow. Digging it so far. Really feel like it's still coming together at this point. Good to hear that the later issues get better.

Really enjoyed the first story with Dizzy. Lee Dolan's bit was pretty impressive. Not really the way he'd have wanted it to play out. Haha.

Anyway, pretty cool so far. I'll try to get as many volumes as I can so I can get up to speed with the reading.

magus113
01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I believe I finished the first 11. I only have it on my laptop which I don't always have with me, sadly. But I like what I'm seeing. The arc with the woman at the diner is the one I've liked the most so far, but it's changed a few times.

BreakABone
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey welcome other Penguin, good to see you join the discussion.

Some random observations, what we read (or most of us should have) accounts for about a year and a half worth of stories, and thus far we have been introduced to a lot of characters.

More importantly, we are introduced, but arent quite aware of the Minutemen and the other organization. I can kind of see how it would get rather thick for readers over a long period of time.

sykopenguin
01-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Into volume 2 now. Got volume three ready to go when I finish this one up. The first arc, Short Con Long Odds was a very nice read. Things are getting good now.

BreakABone
02-14-2010, 02:02 AM
I think we fell a little behind schedule here, I'm gonna blame Mass Effect 2/No More Heroes 2 on my end.

So let's see if we can knock some out this week, how about we try for 25 issues over the course of the week or 26 to make it a nice round even 46 issues in.

incredibledave
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey fellas

Dave here, first post :D
You guys doing the whole series or just the first few trades?

Bond
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forums, Dave!

BreakABone
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey fellas

Dave here, first post :D
You guys doing the whole series or just the first few trades?

Welcome welcome
Greetings and salutations.

We intend to do the whole series, when we finish will be a WHOLE other discussion. I mean it is a lot to dedicate to, but no major games for like 2 weeks so we shall see. :lolz:

BreakABone
02-21-2010, 03:15 PM
So 50 down, and I guess a nice place to jump in with more thoughts.

1) I could see how people would find this story confusing, I don't know if that's the world, but trying to keep track of all the characters that are introduced and then not seeing again for issues (which could be months or years for the reader) can be a bit much.

That said, I've been enjoying the tale they've been telling, and feel like 50 should be a good turning point as we just got explained the origins of sorts so I guess now would be a good time for action.

Don't want to say too much so won't spoil for those who aren't up to where I am.

Swan
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Finished entire series last night. Enjoyed it.

Liked how it went it became more of a central storyline and how pretty much everything from the series ties together in the end.

Will not say anymore.com