PDA

View Full Version : Dexter [Spoilers]

Dylflon
01-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Does anyone watch Dexter?

I just finished season 4 and I need someone to talk about it with slash someone to console me.

The Germanator
01-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I'm still have mixed feelings on how that season ended. I kind of understand why they did it. They needed a big surprise for the finale, because Dexter killing John Lithgow was obviously going to happen so they had to work something in.

The problem I have is that I was kind of looking forward to Rita discovering what Dexter was in real life because I think that dynamic would have been super interesting. There's some speculation that Rita will come back as a "ghost character" like Harry Morgan and I guess that could work. Anyway, it sets up a lot of dilemmas for Dexter trying to be a single dad next season.

Overall season 4 was pretty good. I think Lithgow really made it for me. I still get tired of the Angel and LaGuerta subplot. I just don't really care.

Dylflon
01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
This was probably my favorite season. I actually could have dealt with the Rita thing, had they not shown us in the first episode in detail what's involved in the bathtub ritual. Knowing how she died makes it way worse.

Also, the fact that Dexter could have prevented it and didn't makes me sick to my stomach since I could not fathom being indirectly responsible for the death of my partner.

I figure next season will be the last. We see that Dexter is trying to eliminate the demon in him, and I feel he will give it up in the end for the sake of his kids. It's the least he can do after ruining their lives. But Debra will probably find out about him first! :o

BreakABone
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah had most of this discussion with Dylflon last night, but I mean the way the season was going, it had to have happened. The whole point (Especially with keeping the killer alive) was for Dexter to see if it was possible for him to live both lives, and the evidence showed that it just wouldn't happen.

And when he tried, one life eventually caught up to the other, I mean guess the other possibility would be Rita finding out his secret, which I think would be harder to implement thematically.

The Germanator
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
I guess I was just bugged because I actually read an interview with a writer who said they made the decision at the very last minute. I guess this is a common technique. and they can certainly work with it, but I don't know, it's almost too easy or something.

KillerGremlin
07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Julie Benz went on to do her own show after Dexter...so I wonder if the cut was influenced by a decision from her, i.e. she wanted to leave.

I honestly think Season 5 has surpassed 3 and 4 in terms of overall plot (I have 2 episodes left). But Season 3 and 4 had great supporting casts and the interplay between Dexter and Miguel/Trinity was fun to watch.

But...I don't think Rita could ever have known about Dexter. Her character went from intriguing to problematic to obnoxious, and that is why I believe she was ultimately cut. Furthermore, Rita finding out about Dexter leads to two ultimate scenarios that both end the show (IMO):

(1) She finds out and is okay with it. Everyone lives happily ever after. End of show.
(2) She finds out and flips shit. Dexter either goes to prison or kills her. So Dexter goes to prison. End of show.

Rita really undermined a lot of Dexter's mobility as a killer...but like I said, she progressed from being intriguing, to a problem, to an annoying and obnoxious emotional mess.

The Germanator
07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mos-def-joins-dexter-187328

Just wanted to make sure everyone saw this news from a while back.

Mos Def will keep me watching. Not sure how I feel about Colin Hanks. I kinda hopes Dexter ends soon. I still like it, but I feel like these kinda shows get stale after more than 5-6 seasons.

Donald90
08-09-2011, 06:05 AM
yes I just love season 4 and I was very thrilled with Rita's death & thought that same thrill will continue in season 5 but i feel 5 was little low now season 6 is coming in October hope that the same thrill come's back in it

KillerGremlin
10-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Wow. Dexter jumped the shark hard. So far this season sucks mucho ass. Stuff that was forgivable before, like weak stories for the supporting cast, are falling flat. The religion stuff is boring, cheap, unintelligent, and incoherent.

Edward James Olmos ("how do I reach deez kidz!!!") and Colin Hanks (Orange County) suck ass and aren't remotely believable as sociopaths/killers. The only good thing the show has going is that none of the victims/characters interact with Edward James Olmos except Colin Hanks. So it's possible that EJO is Colin Hanks "Harry" or something he made up in his mind. Or maybe he has a multiple personality disorder or is schizophrenic. Very creepy stuff, but diminished IMO by the actors =/ .

The show has been recycling the Season 3 formula for too long. Sorry Dexter. I'll keep watching to see if this picks up, but this is likely the last season I'll commit.