PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 movie disappointments on 2009

Fox 6
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
http://movies.ign.com/articles/105/1055349p1.html

These are Movies that had potential and were just awful. Thoughts? Any you would exclude? include?

BreakABone
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Disappointment lists are always so iffy.

I really had no expectations for Transformers.... and it somehow ended up worse than I imagined.

And I completely forgot The Spirit was this year.

Though curious about Lesbian Vampire Killers

Swan
01-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I honestly don't think The Spirit was as bad as they make it out to be

Combine 017
01-04-2010, 02:14 AM
I liked The Spirit.

Fox 6
01-04-2010, 02:45 AM
I liked The Spirit.

Yeah to be fair tho, you probably like those big brown ugly chicken eggs.

Ginkasa
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
And I completely forgot The Spirit was this year.

It wasn't. It was released Christmas last year in America. The list used the U.K.'s release date of Jan. 1st 09 for the list.

Bube
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Haha, I'm not going to say anything :D

Though in truth, I never had any disappointments. I don't go to movies having expectations anymore :)

KillerGremlin
01-09-2010, 02:40 AM
What was wrong with Watchmen? I thought it was a decent adaptation or about as good as an adaptation could get. The ending and soundtrack were iffy but I felt it was good eye candy and a decent telling of a difficult graphic novel.

Surely there was something more disappointing.

Swan
01-09-2010, 03:24 AM
There may have been something else pretty disappointing but the Watchmen trailers were INSANELY accurate and the movie was pretty close but some of the actors and characters were questionable. The soundtrack was iffy and yeah. The trailers were so accurate that they made us expect so much more

TheSlyMoogle
01-09-2010, 04:07 AM
I personally enjoyed "The Invention of Lying" and I wasn't upset about the anti-religion thing.

Typhoid
01-09-2010, 05:03 AM
You can easily tell by the blurb on Watchmen that whoever came up with this list was a giant fan of the comic - therefore nothing, clearly, could compare.

Personally, I think Watchmen was an amazing movie.

The Germanator
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I thought the Watchmen movie was pretty good. It did as decent of a job you could of telling a pretty complicated story in a limited amount of time. The main gripe of that movie is the hideous soundtrack. It was just so out of place and poorly managed most of the time.

Professor S
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I thought the Watchmen movie was pretty good. It did as decent of a job you could of telling a pretty complicated story in a limited amount of time. The main gripe of that movie is the hideous soundtrack. It was just so out of place and poorly managed most of the time.

Agreed. Watchmen is an example, as well an Sin City, of movies that COULD have been cinematic masterpieces but failed to do so because of a slavish reverence for the source material. While good, both of those movies suffered in parts because of the need to respect even the most trivial parts of the source. The worst part is that The Watchmen seemed to LOVE the music quoted in the boooks, which didn't affect the story much at all, but then completely changed the ending for the worse! Made no sense.

Movies are not (comic) books. A good director can respect the source and still produce excellent film. Just as Peter Jackson.

Typhoid
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Movies are not (comic) books. A good director can respect the source and still produce excellent film. Just as Peter Jackson.

But clearly the reason why directors/writers are reluctant to do that are for this reason alone; the fact that the people who absolutely loved the comic will hate the movie because it's not a carbon-copy of it.

I wish they'd all realize that really, no matter how they adapt a comic to film, the comic-lovers will always dislike it compared to the comic.

Professor S
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
But clearly the reason why directors/writers are reluctant to do that are for this reason alone; the fact that the people who absolutely loved the comic will hate the movie because it's not a carbon-copy of it.

I agree, but it's not the comic lovers than make the movie a success. Hardcore Tolkien fans bitched about LOTR as well, but in the end they still paid for a ticket just so they could bitch about it and the rest of the world loved the movies.

The fanboys don't matter. Just make a good movie. Favreau understands this, I think. Take from the source what will make it a great movie. Leave what won't work. Make a boat load of cash. Simple.