PDA

View Full Version : The Decade

Swan
12-31-2009, 06:31 AM
How did y'all feel about this decade?

We had the major start of the reality show. The beginning of autotune. The beginning of most of the big bands. So what was your most memorable moment of this decade.

SORRY if this incoherent I have been drinking

TheGame
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
So much has happened this decade, I think it's more memorable then the last one.. for me anyway. I think the only thing I regret about this last decade is that I followed politics too much.. but it's hard not to given all the major changes and 'firsts' that have happened.

We kicked off the decade with the first president to be sworn into office without the popular vote, then we get the first attack on American soil. Go to two almost meaningless wars, and it's revealed that we started doing torture to war prisoners.. and the reputation of our country seemed to be slain in the international community. Then we end it off with a financial crisis, then the election of the first Black president.

From an athletic perspective, watching the Kobe and Shaq fued after they completed 3 championships together will be memorable, seeing Vince carter jump over a 7 footer's head will be remembered... Seeing the US basketball team fall off, then come back was cool. Usian Bolt breaking Micheal Johnson's invinceable looking 200 meter record in the olympics was amazing. And the patriots tragedy of a season where they went undefeated all year just to lose in the superbowl was cool.

I have more but I gotta go to work.. but yeah, have to toss in the death of Micheal Jackson.. the death of the most popular entertainer to ever live.

Angrist
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
At the beginning of the decade I was 16, now I'm 26. :wtf:

Teuthida
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
It sucked.

Bring on the 10's.

BreakABone
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
This was an awful awful decade.

It started with the whole Y2K scare which went no where. Followed up with one of the most controversial elections in US history followed by an attack on American soil.

And we are ending on the verge of a recession.

The stuff in the middle wasn't too great as well.

And there is no way 9/11 isn't the most memorable moment of this decade.

gekko
01-03-2010, 03:09 AM
You forgot it also saw the rise of the internet, and began the downfall of civilization.

Teuthida
01-03-2010, 03:28 AM
The internet peaked in 99.

gekko
01-03-2010, 03:42 AM
It peaked? So that means since 1999 it has gone down during the launch of MySpace (2003), Facebook (2004), and YouTube (2005)?

Teuthida
01-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Yup. MySpace and Facebook are not things I would tote as being good things about the internet. Had more folks creating their own unique websites before those. Social networking is a tumor.

Youtube is ok if there wasn't a comment section.

Vampyr
01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Yup. MySpace and Facebook are not things I would tote as being good things about the internet. Had more folks creating their own unique websites before those. Social networking is a tumor.

Youtube is ok if there wasn't a comment section.

On that note, this past decade also saw the death of geocities.

Angrist
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
10 years ago I was trying to explain to people that the new decade/milennium would start a year later.

Gambit_X
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say this decade was a total waste. It definitely had it's ups and downs. I think it's been a pretty good decade for the arts with some great films like "The Fountain" and some truly relavent music albums, like Radiohead's "In Rainbows." Politically, it's been a nightmare compared to the 90's, no matter who you were routing for (we all pretty much lost). For me, it's also really the first decade I can account for, seeing how I turned thirteen in the summer of 2000.

Dylflon
01-06-2010, 01:30 AM
You sum up the films of this decade with The Fountain?

D:

Typhoid
01-06-2010, 04:34 AM
I think it was a pretty good decade.
I met a lot of people who will be the cornerstone of the rest of my life.
Lots of good bands formed, and I graduated halfway through it.

The Germanator
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM

D:

I liked the Fountain. Maybe not one of the best of the decade for me, but it was ambitious and did a pretty good job of trying to tell that story at least. I liked Ebert's pick of Synechdoche, New York for best of decade though. That film gets better and better as I think about it.

Gambit_X
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM

D:

I thought The Fountain was an incredible film. Every time I watch it I take away something more; that's how the movie was designed to be watched. If you only watched it once, you probably missed half of the movie. Some people don't like movies like that, but for those patient enough to appreciate it, it's a real treat.

What would you claim as one of the top movies of the decade?

TheSlyMoogle
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
This decade had the invention of the snuggie. This decade is win. YEAH!

Dylflon
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I liked The Fountain just fine but it doesn't define the decade.

Think about the movies that came out: Lord of the Rings, Children of Men, City of God, No Country for Old Men, Donnie Darko, The Royal Tenenbaums, Pan's Labrynth, Memento, Amelie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I'd be willing to call City of God or Children of Men the best of the decade. Probably City of God.