PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Christmas

Typhoid
12-15-2009, 05:35 AM
So I have family over each Christmas for dinner.
And that time is approaching.

My sister and brother in law just happen to be vegetarians, which means they are exempt from delicious, delicious meats and seafoods.

Which arises a question of "What the hell do I serve at Christmas to not alienate them and their delicious meat-hating ways?"

So forum, I come to you in need of advice on actual ideas for things to serve vegetarians on Christmas.

Things that aren't tofu-related. In any way.

Professor S
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
In my opinion vegetarians know what they're getting into when they decide to forgo eating meat. They should shut their whining, patronizing, superiority complex having, patchouli stinking, hippie mouths and enjoy the side dishes. :D

On a more serious note, my advice would be to offer a simple vegetarian alternative as not to alienate the meat eaters either. If baby wants meat at Christmas, baby GETS meat at Christmas.

Advice: Don't try and "mock" a meat dish with a meatless product (EX. godless Tofurkey). There are many hearty stews that you can make as a vegetarian alternative, such as curries and ratatouille that are easy and do most of their cooking in a crock pot. This allows you to have the meatless alternative, and not have to bust your ass for those freaks.

Typhoid
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Believe me, I'm not removing the god given gift of turkey and ham from the menu.

I just don't want to do the same type of alternatives I did last year; An asian salad with pine nuts and mandarin oranges, italian rice salad, feta stuffed mushroom caps and a couple other things I pushed from my memory.

There of course shall be yams/sweet potatoes whichever you prefer to call them, and stuffing. But that is hardly a meal on it's own.

To be fair, I don't mind busting my ass making meatless food for them - being my sister, nephew and brother in law and all. :lolz:

I've never made a curry before, maybe I'll give that a shot.

Seth
12-16-2009, 12:57 AM
guacamole

Fox 6
12-16-2009, 01:25 AM
veggie stir fry?

KillerGremlin
12-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Advice: Don't try and "mock" a meat dish with a meatless product (EX. godless Tofurkey).

AMEN! Best advice ever. Vegetarian dishes can be delicious and healthy (like vegetarian chili...mmm) without being embarrassing.

Typhoid
12-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Apparently nobody reads initial posts.

The last line was in fact "Things that are not tofu-related", which would - I assumed - get across the point that I was definitely not considering any type of terrible mockery.

Fox 6
12-16-2009, 04:32 AM
If youre so concerned with trying to find something they would like, just ask them what they think would be a nice Christmas meal.

Angrist
12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Just get some vegetarian burgers/schnitzels (after finding out what the tasty brands are). And make sure enough sidedishes are vegetarian.

Or Google a nice recepy.

ZebraRampage
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Just get some vegetarian burgers/schnitzels

Wouldn't that be in the form of mocking a meat dish?

I kind of like the vegetarian chili idea. My sister and brother in-law aren't vegetarians, but they make it a lot for when their friends come over who are vegetarian, and I believe they eat it a lot just on their own. It's definitely filling enough with the side dishes.

Angrist
12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Mocking a meat dish... There are very tasty vegetarian options, who cares if they try to imitate a meat dish? It's not like vegetarians only like vegetables.

But veggichili sounds good too. :)

The Germanator
12-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I've started to eat vegetarian more lately and mock-meats are great. Fake chicken patties, fake chicken nuggets, fake sausage, fake hotdogs. It all tastes pretty good to me, and nutritionally usually pretty good with a lot of soy protein and fiber involved. I know that you don't want to serve it just as a main dish, but you could use some veggie sausage in the stuffing or something and that would be a nice addition.

ZebraRampage
12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Mocking a meat dish... There are very tasty vegetarian options, who cares if they try to imitate a meat dish? It's not like vegetarians only like vegetables.

But veggichili sounds good too. :)

I guess the reason I questioned that is because Typhoid said that he didn't want to do an alternative to a meat dish. It had nothing to do with what vegetarians like or don't like.

Professor S
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I've started to eat vegetarian more lately and mock-meats are great. Fake chicken patties, fake chicken nuggets, fake sausage, fake hotdogs. It all tastes pretty good to me, and nutritionally usually pretty good with a lot of soy protein and fiber involved. I know that you don't want to serve it just as a main dish, but you could use some veggie sausage in the stuffing or something and that would be a nice addition.

I will say vegetarian corn-dogs are quite good, buts that's as far as I'm willing to go in the mock-meat category.

Typhoid
12-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Actually the fake-chicken thing was a good idea.

And with the whole not wanting to mock a meat dish thing - I just meant I'm not making "tofurkey" or anything like that.

I've been looking and can't find a good recipe for veggie chili anywhere.:ohreilly:

Fox 6
12-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Ive heard good things about veggie lasagna

Teuthida
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
You forced my hand.