PDA

View Full Version : He's Back: DC Announces the Return of Bruce Wayne

BreakABone
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
His grave has only been dug for about a year now, but it looks like its time for my boy to return to the world of comics... if you don't count the tales he was in anyhow and the flashbacks and Red Robin's obsession with finding him.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/12/robwpirateb.jpg

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/12/robwcavemanb.jpg

And before anyone gets on about DC always bringing back their characters, we all knew Batman wasn't dead. They made sure of that in the issue after he died, so it was only a matter of when not if.

The World’s Greatest Detective is facing his toughest mystery.

Lost in the timestream, believed to be dead by his friends and enemies alike, Bruce Wayne must use every bit of intelligence, every ounce of strength and training he’s acquired over the years to find his way back to the city, and adopted family of vigilantes, he’d left behind.

Blasted by the mysterious and powerful Omega Effect in the pages of FINAL CRISIS during a deadly battle with the malevolent New God Darkseid, Bruce Wayne must battle back through the waves of time to reclaim what was his – his city, his life…his cowl?

From the kinetic and awe-inspiring imagination of writer Grant Morrison and an all-star cast of artists, including Chris Sprouse, who’ll handle art chores on the first issue, BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #1 (of 6) hits in April and will prove to be Bruce Wayne’s defining moment as a hero, and his toughest challenge yet.

Bond
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Batman is a pirate? I am so confused.

BreakABone
12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Batman is a pirate? I am so confused.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2009-12-09-morrison-bruce-wayne-st_N.htm

In Final Crisis, the original Batman, Bruce Wayne, is hit by the Omega Beam during a battle with the villain Darkseid. This beam sends Wayne spinning into the unknown, cast off into the time stream. He is thought to be dead by both friends and enemies. In the aftermath, the role of Batman is assumed by the original Robin, Dick Grayson, and the role of Robin is assumed by Bruce Wayne's son, Damian.

The first episode is set in the Late-Paleolithic Era, the second is in Pilgrim-era Gotham Village, and we also get to see Gotham in Western or noir style.

Each of the stories is a twist on a different "pulp hero" genre — so there's the caveman story, the witchhunter/Puritan adventurer thing, the pirate Batman, the cowboy, the P.I. — as a nod toward those mad old 1950s comics with Caveman Batman and Viking Batman adventures. It's Bruce Wayne's ultimate challenge — Batman vs. history itself!

Reading the interview now so shall add any other quotes.

Vampyr
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Wth

Fox 6
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
He was gone?

Also did he kill a giant bat and use its head for his new costume?

Bond
12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry, Batman (or should I say Bruce Wayne) is hit by the "Omega Beam" and is cast off into a "time stream?" Uh huh.

Fox 6
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry, Batman (or should I say Bruce Wayne) is hit by the "Omega Beam" and is cast off into a "time stream?" Uh huh.

:lolz:

BreakABone
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM

No one said it was a believable story, but its what happened.

I mean when you start dealing with intergalactic beings.. you can say its far fetched then. :p

Professor S
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
This shit is why I don't read DC.

Swan
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
It is actually pretty much what they are doing at Marvel with Captain America

Professor S
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
And that shit is why I don't read Marvel either.

Teuthida
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
http://ifanboy.com/files/images/dc/Batman%20Return%20of%20Bruce%20Wayne_1_uncolored.jpg

Cavebatman Cavebatman, does whatever a cave bat...man......does.....

Typhoid
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Man, this is dumb.

I can't wait until Bruce Wayne comes back to the future (modern time), and tries to tell Robin (the new Batman) that he is in fact the real Batman, to which an epic battle will ensue with Bruce Wayne being portrayed as the evil badguy, and ultimately is killed in a showdown with his own son (whom I did not knew existed until this thread.)

BreakABone
02-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Here's the cover for the second one, Puritan Batman and witch Joker?

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/02/batmanrobw02cvr.jpg

Jonbo298
02-06-2010, 09:52 PM
This would make for one effed up movie...

BreakABone
03-05-2010, 03:12 PM
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/03/batmanrobw1-6cvr.jpg

Full colored image

Swan
03-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Man, this is going to be so awesome!

I don't know which Batman is best

incredibledave
03-06-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm looking forward to this :D

I'm hoping that Bruce shoot forward past Dick's time as Batman and Bruce becomes Batman in the future, that'd be neat :D

Vampyr
03-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Extremely weird, but I wouldn't mind reading the Bruce the Barbarian one.

BreakABone
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm looking forward to this :D

I'm hoping that Bruce shoot forward past Dick's time as Batman and Bruce becomes Batman in the future, that'd be neat :D
That would be rather trippy, but we don't need alternate timelines on top of everything else that is going on in the DCU.

Extremely weird, but I wouldn't mind reading the Bruce the Barbarian one.

I'm looking forward to the first 4, I mean Detective Batman isn't anything new, and well Batman Batman is even older.

But pirate Batman? Caveman Batman? Yeah those I can dig. :cool:

incredibledave
05-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Heres my review of Return of Bruce Wayne #2 and its going to be chock full of spoilers, so dont say I didnt warn you.

Let me start off by saying that I liked this issue, I think, its hard to explain.

Let me start of by saying that I am a huge Grant Morrison fanboy. I absolutely adored the the first issue of this series while many didn't, which immediately triggered my "they just don't get it, they dont understand how deep it is" mechanism.

The first issue is basically the bare bones essential of a good Batman story, draped over a caveman setting with the goal of showing that Batman's force of will and personality is what make Batman great and not the Gothic city trappings or the gadgets. It was simplistic, but so damn FUNDAMENTAL, a distillation of who Bruce Wayne is.

Naturally this colored my expectations for the second issue, which turned out to be very different.

ROBW#2 picks up after the last page of #1, Bruce is fighting a Kraken-like monster with a sword in pilgrim era america. He is then nursed back to health by a creepy obsessive woman (think Marty's mom in Back to the Future) and the story then cuts to Superman, Green Lantern in Booster Gold taking a time machine to 10 minutes before the heat death of the universe in order to use special future science to track Bruce through time using maps in space time. And this is just the first 6 pages!

Following pages include Bruce resolving a mystery about a supposed killing by a demon (turns out it was just the wife who is then drowned for being a witch), Bruce makes out with that obsessive woman (who turns out to be a witch), fights the kraken monster again (which turned out to be a time fungus or something), obsessive woman is executed for being a witch just after cursing the villain of the story (who turned out to be Nathanial Wayne) and all his kin for all eternity, Bruce's head shows up in the hyper future and seemingly traps all of the other heroes there and then Bruce ends up on an island with Blackbeard.

So yeah...

As indecipherable as that all seems, I don't think I can really say its a bad story. You feel bad when the obsessive woman (her names Annie btw) dies, the villain is appropriately slimy, dramatic beats manage to really work (perhaps just because I read my comics out loud in the BTAS voices, but still), the art (while is a bit of an acquired taste) manages interesting flourishes and there is mystery that builds interest in upcoming issues.

But I have no fucking idea whats going on this comic. How is Bruce traveling through time? Who was Annie? What was her curse? How did she find Bruce? How did she find those symbols? How in the hell did Bruce manage to communicate to the other heroes in the extreme future? Did Bruce really make out with that chick? Who was doing that narration at the end?

Me thinks Morrison just needs a strong editor to occasionally real in his crazy. Its a strong issues with drama and suspense and action and all that, with occasional side trips into mind-fuckery. Hopefully future issues will be more gentle, but even if they're not, a confusing comic from Morrison is a damn sight more interesting than a straight-forward comic from Johns (take that Earl! I disagree with your taste in comics!)

BreakABone
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
I've read enough Grant Morrison to know, that his single issues read oddly, but its the story he weaves that is the real star.

With that said, I enjoyed Return of Bruce Wayne 1, but trying to wrap my head a bit around RoBW 2, I mean I got most of it, but some things like the sea monster are just out there.

Though you get some awesome things, like Superman speaking to Bruce who is possessing some type of temporal body? :confused:

incredibledave
05-29-2010, 04:38 PM
@Breakabone:

Is it really a Morrison thing for single issues to not really work on their own.

Granted there are some fairly obvious examples of this being true; Batman R.I.P (for anyone who read this in single issue, i feel bad for you guys), Final Crisis and Invisibles.

But there are a few examples of series with great one off issues; We3, All-Star Superman, pretty much any issue found in the Batman: Black Glove tpb.