PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Games

Vampyr
11-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I feel like we have far too little alcohol threads for a place called GameTavern. (except for threads that people post while drunk.)

I was curious as to what everyone's favorite alcoholic drink is, how you like it prepared, and what game(s) you like to play while drinking.

My personal favorite is Maker's Mark bourbon, with a little bit of water mixed in.

Favorite game to play while drinking is Team Fortress 2 (PC edition of course). It's so fun to get random kills and not care at all whenever you yourself get killed. Also fun to talk over the mic while intoxicated.

Combine 017
11-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I feel like we have far too little alcohol threads for a place called GameTavern. (except for threads that person post while drunk.)

Fixed.

I like rum or whiskey or vodka or anything above 40%.
And I agree, playing TF2 while drunk is awesome.
I tend to quickly swap games though, and I found that play Batman is really hard when your wasted.

Vampyr
11-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Fixed.

I like rum or whiskey or vodka or anything above 40%.
And I agree, playing TF2 while drunk is awesome.
I tend to quickly swap games though, and I found that play Batman is really hard when your wasted.

I doscoverd wile drink that playing borderlands while runk i sawesome!!!

Bond
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I doscoverd wile drink that playing borderlands while runk i sawesome!!!
I can't tell if this is an actual drunk post or if you're mocking Combine?

In any case, I don't really drink and play video games.

I am drinking a Heineken right now, though.

Combine 017
11-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Hey now.
My typing is fantastic when im drunk.
How many typos do you see in any of my drunk threads?
huh?
HUH?
Thats what I thought.

Professor S
11-14-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't normally drink and game either (except for one infamous episode of TF2), but when I do drink and game, I like a little whiskey and lime juice. Speaking of whiskey, I have a bottle of 12 year old single irish malt Bushmills I need to break open tonight...

Vampyr
11-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I can't tell if this is an actual drunk post or if you're mocking Combine?

In any case, I don't really drink and play video games.

I am drinking a Heineken right now, though.

I don't even remember posting that. :\

BreakABone
11-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Well since folks enjoy drinking and playing TF 2... I so say we have a drinking TF 2 night.

You drink everytime you die, you get someone to drink everytime you kill someone.

Swan
11-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmm....I will need a beer hat

Dylflon
11-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I usually only drink at parties...so Rock Band I guess.

The Germanator
11-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm drinking Pinot Noir and playing Hot Shots Golf 3. I'm an old man, pretentious gamer.

Typhoid
11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't drink much anymore, but I'm a fan of various beers or whiskeys/ryes.

Drinking and gaming is fine, I suppose. I won't drink and game alone, because drinking alone is pretty silly to a degree - but when I'm with friends we'll put a few back and play Halo/NHL - things like that.

Jason1
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Best game ever Drunk is Mario Tennis for the N64. Multi-player of course.

BreakABone
11-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Best game ever Drunk is Mario Tennis for the N64. Multi-player of course.

Oh drunk Mario anything is fun
Party, Kart, Tennis, Soccer

Also WarioWare from what I hear is a hell of a game to play while high.

I don't like playing FPSes drunk.. attempted that once with Halo and like everything was moving... and after like 5 minutes I gave up. :lolz:

Fox 6
11-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Getting kill streaks while drunk when I played the first modern warfare was hilarious.

Acebot44
11-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Played some ODST Firefight last week, a shot of SOCO everytime you died, good times.

Vampyr
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
After how sick I ended up being Saturday, I think I'm just going to drink beer for a while.

Not to mention Blue Moon Winter Ale is out - so why not drink it while it lasts?

thatmariolover
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Schell's Snowstorm. Mmm... I <3 winter beers.

As for gaming drunk, generally I find I don't enjoy it enough to put up with the side-effects. I'd rather hit my vape a few times.

TheSlyMoogle
12-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Lol this is a side of Vamp I've never seen before. We should drink and game sometime. Borderlands and booze? Hmmm...

Also fighting games + Booze is the worst thing ever.

I like to sip on some nice coke and rum or coke and whiskey/bourbon and play DotA (Warcraft III custom map), or recently Heroes of Newerth which is basically the same thing with very updated graphics.

it's a very strategical game and shouldn't be played drunk, but I love drinking and playing that game.

thatmariolover
12-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Lol this is a side of Vamp I've never seen before. We should drink and game sometime. Borderlands and booze? Hmmm...

Also fighting games + Booze is the worst thing ever.

I like to sip on some nice coke and rum or coke and whiskey/bourbon and play DotA (Warcraft III custom map), or recently Heroes of Newerth which is basically the same thing with very updated graphics.

it's a very strategical game and shouldn't be played drunk, but I love drinking and playing that game.

Yeah I preordered HoN as well, so I've got the beta. I need to download it though, as I haven't installed it. Hopefully it's as good as DotA.

Vampyr
12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I want to get HoN or DotA, but I'm a little afraid of the learning curve involved. I've heard that the player base isn't very welcoming to new people who don't know what they're doing, and the game sounds complicated.

But drunk Borderlands sounds awesome...I think I may be getting something this weekend and doing some gaming, just because finals will be over.

Probably some Winter Ale and a wine of some sort. :ohreilly:

TheSlyMoogle
12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
HoN is very much DotA.

I've been in the beta since closed beta (Thanks Facebook).

Also Vamp:

DotA player base was fucking miserable. When I first started playing the game there were sometimes I was nothing but frustrated by the players. I've never felt so bad playing a game. As you know I'm very competitive, and there are people on there who would make you feel like absolute shit.

However, HoN was very good at understanding why that happened. Being someone who was getting good at DotA, and switching to HoN was such a good thing to help me understand what they did with the game.

DotA was overly complicated for some reasons.

Basically what made DotA really bad for newbs:

There are so many heroes that are all so different to learn about. Both playing them and playing against them was just hard at first. Luckily there are so many good FAQs and Guides for the heroes it wasn't hard. When I first started I would play Random games which means that like I would get a random hero each game. I would play the game, write down all the heroes in the game as well, and after it was over I would read about my hero in that game and then also about all the others. A couple of weeks of that, maybe playing 1 or 2 games a day, and I was pretty into the game and had learned a lot in a little time. HoN actually gives you tips in game and stuff, so it's easier to learn about the characters.

Next up was the hot keys in DotA. For people just learning it was so lame. Different spells assigned to different buttons. Spells were never the same hotkeys for different heroes. (You have spells 1-4 and instead of assigning them like asdf to correspond to 1234 they were often all over the keyboard) there was eventually a hotkey tool I found to fix that problem but seriously that was dumb. HoN just assigns all skills to the same 4 buttons for every character and you can change them yourself.

Next was the item shops. They were so poorly developed in DotA as far as where to get them, shitty descriptions and stuff. Now they're all in 1 place and very easy to know what mix of items makes other items. So good.

Other than that they added voice support in the game so no need to find a team and vent with them, now you can join a random game and voice chat with everyone. It's so good now.

If you want to try the beta I think I still have some invites. I can also show you how to play the game and give a lot of tips.

It honestly is a lot to learn, but I got very good in a couple months of casually playing and then getting more serious as I started to know what I was doing and enjoying it much more. Carrying a team with a shitty hero is the best feeling haha.

My glacius/crystal maiden is the coolest.

MarioLover: Basically they remade and rebalanced every dota hero and started added new heroes every update basically. It's really fun now and the graphical update was much appreciated as well as the rebalance.