PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MLB Playoffs

ZebraRampage
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
So after tomorrow, the playoffs should be set, unless the Tigers and the Twins are tied, in which they'll play a tiebreaker on Tuesday Night. I know that some of you follow baseball, so what do you think of the teams in the playoffs this year?

Well, being a Phillies fan, I'm pretty confident in their ability to win games in the playoffs. I am worried about the bullpen though, because Brad Lidge has been completely opposite of how he was last year. Anyway, I'll just post the matchups below. The National League matchups aren't set because the NL West has to be decided, as well as the Wild Card. Also, the four teams in the NL have records that are very close, so the seeding won't be set until tomorrow.

American League:

New York Yankees (AL East)
Minnesota Twins (AL Central)

Los Angeles Angels (AL West)
Boston Red Sox (Wild Card)

National League:

Los Angeles Dodgers (NL West)
St. Louis Cardinals (NL Central)

Philadelphia Phillies (NL East)
Colorado Rockiest (Wild Card)

BreakABone
10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Well its been almost a decade since we had a win so going with the hometown team.

Let's go Yankees.

The Germanator
10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not feeling great about the Phillies going into the playoffs. However, nobody in the NL scares me that much and I think they can make the World Series if they step it up to playoff mode right now. I'm not sure if they'd be the AL team if they got there, unless it's the Twins or Tigers or something.

The positive thing is that I thought the Phils had no shot to win the Series last year too, so maybe they will surprise me again.

Typhoid
10-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Despite the fact their name is retarded and makes no sense (The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim), I think they'll go pretty far this year. I don't know why I think that, I just have a feeling.

Edit: This was sarcastic, btw.

ZebraRampage
10-04-2009, 04:02 PM
The Tigers beat the White Sox 5-3 today, and the Twins are winning 8-2 over the Royals right now in the top of the 6th. If the Twins win, then on Tuesday night there will be a one game playoff between them and the Tigers to determine who will win the AL Central. If the Twins lose, then the Tigers are in the playoffs.

Also, last night the Dodgers beat the Rockies, so they have the NL West crown, while the Rockies are the wild card. I already edited those matchups in the first post.

BreakABone
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
So since Zebra didn't update, the Tigers and Twins ended up tied so the run-off game shall be tomorrow night to determine who gets to lose to the Yankees.

ZebraRampage
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
So since Zebra didn't update, the Tigers and Twins ended up tied so the run-off game shall be tomorrow night to determine who gets to lose to the Yankees.

I was going to update this eventually, give me a break. And screw the Yankees.

The Germanator
10-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Yankees v. Phillies World Series...Calling it now.

Bond
10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Well its been almost a decade since we had a win so going with the hometown team.

Let's go Yankees.
At least you admit to being a bandwagon fan.

BreakABone
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
At least you admit to being a bandwagon fan.

Not a bandwagon fan, I always support a local team.

Yankees
Giants
Knicks

And don't follow hockey.

Hell I watch Cyclones games, and if cared would cheer for the Liberty.

Don't care for
Bills
Sabers
Nets
Rangers
Islanders

I don't mind the Mets, but I know they will find new and creative ways to screw themselves over.

ZebraRampage
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Not a bandwagon fan, I always support a local team.

Yankees
Giants
Knicks

And don't follow hockey.

Hell I watch Cyclones games, and if cared would cheer for the Liberty.

Don't care for
Bills
Sabers
Nets
Rangers
Islanders

I don't mind the Mets, but I know they will find new and creative ways to screw themselves over.

You missed two teams in your region, the Devils and the Jets. The only reason I say the Devils is because you mentioned the New Jersey Nets.

BreakABone
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
You missed two teams in your region, the Devils and the Jets. The only reason I say the Devils is because you mentioned the New Jersey Nets.

I was gonna mention the Devils, but I thought they played much further out than the Nets, Nets/Giants/Jets arenas are pretty much right outside of New York.

I thought the Devil Rays were further back in the state.

And I'm not sure what I think about the Jets, they are sort of like the Mets in the fact that they have potential, but tend to squander it so its hard to back em, but I don't dislike em like the others.

And I can only support one hopeless team at a time, Knicks '10!:(

ZebraRampage
10-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I was gonna mention the Devils, but I thought they played much further out than the Nets, Nets/Giants/Jets arenas are pretty much right outside of New York.

I thought the Devil Rays were further back in the state.

And I'm not sure what I think about the Jets, they are sort of like the Mets in the fact that they have potential, but tend to squander it so its hard to back em, but I don't dislike em like the others.

And I can only support one hopeless team at a time, Knicks '10!:(

Okay, the Devils Rays are from Tampa..so just erase that, though I know that you were thinking of the Devils when you wrote that.

The New Jersey Devils are the hockey team that plays in Newark, NJ, and their arena is in downtown Newark. You're right about the Nets having their arena at the Meadowlands, which is also where the Giants and Jets play, which is right outside of New York.

Okay, back on topic...BASEBALL!

Go Phillies!

Edit: They're called the Tampa Bay Rays now, so eh whatever haha.

ZebraRampage
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
It looks like the Yankees are playing the Twins. They won in the bottom of the 12th, 6-5, over the Tigers. What a hell of a way to end the season.

ZebraRampage
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
That was a solid performance by Lee today. I feel a lot better now that the first game of the playoffs is over, and that it's a win. Now I'm in the mindset. It looks like the Yankees are going to beat the Twins tonight. It's the top of the 9th and they're leading 7-2. The Cardinals and Dodgers are playing tonight as well. I believe that here are a few Cardinals fans on here, right?

BreakABone
10-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Yanks go up 2-0

Almost as important, BoSox go down 0-2

Jason1
10-11-2009, 10:31 PM
The Cardinals played like the Cubs in this years post-season.

ZebraRampage
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, so the Dodgers beat the Cardinals, the Angels beat the Red Sox, and the Yankees beat the Twins. Tonight the Phillies and Rockies are playing in game three of their NLDS, and then game four will be tomorrow. If necessary game five will be on Tuesday.

ALCS:

Angels vs.
Yankees

NLCS:

Winner of Rockies/Phillies vs.
Dodgers

BreakABone
10-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Let's hope round 2 provides better match-ups.

KillerGremlin
10-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Steroids!

The Germanator
10-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Phillies win! And Lidge actually saved one! Nice.

ZebraRampage
10-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Phillies win! And Lidge actually saved one! Nice.

HELL YEAH!! Hopefully Lee will have another stellar performance tomorrow night.

The Germanator
10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Holy crap, Phillies! That was a crazy game. Happy to be heading on to L.A.

ZebraRampage
10-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Holy crap, Phillies! That was a crazy game. Happy to be heading on to L.A.

That was awesome! I feel confident now that the Phillies can perform well in clutch situations. I can't believe that they managed to score three runs in the top of the 9th! Also, Lidge saved another one, so that was awesome as well! He seems to have improved, and that's probably due to the playoff state of mind. I hope that the World Series is the Yankees and the Phillies, though I'm sure that a lot of people want the two LA teams to go.

ZebraRampage
10-18-2009, 11:36 PM
The Phillies scored more runs against the Dodgers than the Eagles scored against the Raiders. That's pretty sad.

Anyway, the Phillies are up 2-1 in the NLCS Series vs. the Dodgers.

The Yankess are up 2-0 in the ALCS Series vs. the Angels.

This is shaping up to be the World Series that I wanted to see, but it's still a best of 7 series, so no reason to get my hopes up just yet.

The Germanator
10-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Thank goodness for that game. If the Phillies had laid the same egg the Eagles did, Philly would be in a collective depression. Fight on, Phils!

Typhoid
10-19-2009, 08:05 PM
When I first posted when the thread started, I was joking - but now I'm sort of pulling for the Angels to make it through the Yankee Juggernaut.

ZebraRampage
10-20-2009, 12:23 AM
ALL RIGHT PHILLIES!

Rollins had a 2 run hit in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. Talk about DRAMA!

Phillies lead the series 3-1.

The Angels beat the Yankees today to make the Series in favor of the Yankees, 2-1.

The Germanator
10-20-2009, 12:26 AM
ALL RIGHT PHILLIES!

Rollins had a 2 run hit in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. Talk about DRAMA!

Phillies lead the series 3-1.

The Angels beat the Yankees today to make the Series in favor of the Yankees, 2-1.

It's very possible that the 2008/2009 Phillies are the best team I will ever see in my lifetime. They are unbelievably amazing. Wow, wow, wow.

ZebraRampage
10-20-2009, 12:29 AM
It's very possible that the 2008/2009 Phillies are the best team I will ever see in my lifetime. They are unbelievably amazing. Wow, wow, wow.

Do you mean the best Philadelphia team you'll ever see in your lifetime, or the best TEAM period that you'll ever see in your lifetime?

The Germanator
10-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Do you mean the best Philadelphia team you'll ever see in your lifetime, or the best TEAM period that you'll ever see in your lifetime?

Well, Philadelphia team I guess. Obviously the late 90's Yankees and 2000s Patriots have been better, but in terms of a team I've actually watched day in and day out for many years, I don't know, it's hard to get better than this. If they are able to repeat as champs, of course.

Also, I'm hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to see some more winning teams here over the next few decades, but I'm giddy about these guys right now.

ZebraRampage
10-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Well, Philadelphia team I guess. Obviously the late 90's Yankees and 2000s Patriots have been better, but in terms of a team I've actually watched day in and day out for many years, I don't know, it's hard to get better than this. If they are able to repeat as champs, of course.

Also, I'm hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to see some more winning teams here over the next few decades, but I'm giddy about these guys right now.

I'm EXTREMELY GIDDY! But yes, I hope to see some success in the Eagles and Flyers too. They both have players that could do well.

BreakABone
10-22-2009, 12:40 AM
So looks like we have part one of the World Series match-up.

Now, how much will the Phillies be crushed?

ZebraRampage
10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
So looks like we have part one of the World Series match-up.

Now, how much will the Phillies be crushed?

I still get the feeling that you really don't follow baseball all that much. And I don't think that the Yankees will crush the Phillies. It'll hopefully be an interesting World Series, and I wouldn't mind if it went to 7 games. I also think it's funny how we're just assuming the Yankees are in it, though, the chances of them not getting in are very slim.

Typhoid
10-23-2009, 12:28 AM
I also think it's funny how we're just assuming the Yankees are in it, though, the chances of them not getting in are very slim.

I'd say right now the chances of them getting in are 60%. It's not as big of a landslide as people make it out to be. Sure, they're the Yankees, but it's the Angels. Considering they've done this good so far, I don't think their time is up just yet.

ZebraRampage
10-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I'd say right now the chances of them getting in are 60%. It's not as big of a landslide as people make it out to be. Sure, they're the Yankees, but it's the Angels. Considering they've done this good so far, I don't think their time is up just yet.

Yeah, I agree with you pretty much. I mean, it isn't over until it's over.

Typhoid
10-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Bummer.

ZebraRampage
10-28-2009, 09:03 PM
GO PHILLIES!

Typhoid
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I really hope the Phillies beat the New Yorkies.

The Germanator
10-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Boo ya. Cliff Lee is incredible.

BreakABone
11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
One more to go.

BreakABone
11-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I won't rub it in Zebra's face.

But Germie won his Phillies hat to his concert in Brooklyn, so what did I say? :p

ZebraRampage
11-05-2009, 12:43 AM
It never felt like the Phillies year this time around. Well, two consecutive World Series appearances isn't bad at all. Time to move on though..Eagles and Flyers time.

Bond
11-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Oh baseball, such a fair competition every year for the World Series.

Professor S
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Bill Gates to make another billion dollars.

BreakABone
11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Bill Gates to make another billion dollars.

I'm confused, do we not want them to win any more titles?
Or is this a money joke?