PDA

View Full Version : I traded a ton of DVDs and movies in...

Dyne
08-26-2009, 02:39 AM
and I got $110.

It's all stuff I wasn't watching. Star Wars movies, the Hulk, and a bunch of other stuff.

TV show DVDs:

House season 2, 3, 4
Office Season 3
British Office (it's not funny.)
24 season 5 (although it's the best)

But yeah. Not bad. I could even trade some more stuff. Buying shit like this originally was just placeholder until I could get my favourites. Now I have a bit of every genre, along with my favourites.

It's mostly to make room for Blu-rays anyways. Hahaha.

Typhoid
08-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Star Wars movies

:(

Angrist
08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
What Typhoid said.

I just don't buy DVDs until I know I really like the movie. And I think other people should see it too.

Of course I've made some mistakes. I've thrown away The Librarian 2. I traded Chronicles of Narnia 1 for Cloverfield. I'm not too fond of The Butterfly Effect anymore.

I've also been selling some games. Metroid Prime 3 for €19, and some Cube games. Oh and Michael Jackson - Blood on the dance floor for €4.50.

Dyne
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
:(

Actually, it was just episode 2. No biggie.

BreakABone
08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Where did you trade em in at?
May do this to trim down my collection a bite.

Hard to manage, and don't watch most of them.

Dyne
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Where did you trade em in at?
May do this to trim down my collection a bite.

Hard to manage, and don't watch most of them.

Just at the local store, mostly music. I own 34 now, not including TV shows. Hahah. I could definitely trim further.

Vampyr
08-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I never sell anything.

Dyne
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I never sell anything.

See, I used to be like that. But then I amassed a giant collection of games for one console. When you have something from every genre, some games really start to lose their luster.

Also, DVDs really lose their appeal too when you own 50 blu-rays.

KillerGremlin
08-28-2009, 02:31 AM
This is why I try to only buy DVDs I REALLY enjoy...otherwise I stick to renting. With Redbox and Netflix why would you spend 20 bucks for a movie? Even with a sweet Blue-Ray setup, I'd still try to rent....

For me, very few movies will I watch multiple times in a year. A lot of movies I like to see every now and then.

Angrist
08-28-2009, 06:04 AM
My bro and I own like 40 NES games, 25 SNES, 25 N64, 30 Cube, 6 Wii, 15 AGB and some DMG. Most of them we bought as an investment. For our collection, only to sell off at one point.

But then the Wii virtual console came out. If people can download the game for €5 onto their Wii, why would they bother with the cartridge original? Prices have gone down. Now is as good a time as any to sell off our games.

Now I just want to save the really good games (usually Nintendo-made). I don't care for the rest... I guess I should trade them in at a store, because selling them one by one takes too much time.

A year ago I also started to realize that I just did not have enough time to play all the good games I own. I wanted to replay Eternal Darkness, but that would take time that I didn't have. Resident Evil 1 and 0 were games I was still interested in.
I decided to sell them. I make around €15 per game, which isn't bad at all. They were collecting dust in my closet anyway.

Jonbo298
08-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm slowly working on getting a Drobo (after satisfying some medical bills) and then hook it to my router since it has a USB port that allows it to be shared over the network for this purpose. One big media server. Just too cluttering to keep DVD's. Rarely will I buy a DVD. Last one was Dark Knight only because that movie was worth buying for me.

The Germanator
09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
British Office (it's not funny.)

I'm not sure I can even begin to explain how false that is.

DeathsHand
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM

British Humor is not for everybody, what with their homely women and all.

gekko
09-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I never sell anything.

Ya, but as your games continue to drop in value, the investment you continue to make in storage solutions and moving costs continues to rise. I never sold anything either, but I have come to the realization that collections of old games are not worth any value with the exception of a select few, most of which you don't own.

I also realized if I want to play these games again, I'll most likely buy them again on a newer console, like Wii or XBLA, which has been the case for most... like Castlevania: SOTN. That reminds me, the more you wait for old games to be remade, the less demand there is for the original.

Movies take a similar path as games, just they become available on various on demand services for free, or via netflix streaming. One of these days, when I have some time, I plan on going through and selling much of my older stuff. I really don't have the desire to have a garage full of games I don't play. Might as well get money for some which have value, like Suikoden II.

Dyne
09-07-2009, 10:10 PM

British Humor is not for everybody, what with their homely women and all.

I know. I own all the Monty Python episodes and movies and I'm the biggest fan. I also love a lot of British comedians. But the original Office series just doesn't do it for me. There's nothing in those episodes that make me want to watch them again, except for Chris Finch, who is totally awesome.

I don't get it, either, I enjoy Extras. The original Office just kind of sucks.

Angrist
09-08-2009, 06:24 AM
I love Fawlty Towers. Sometimes I enjoy Monty Python, sometimes I don't. Really depends on your mood.
Keeping Up Appearances is also pretty good.

Can't think of many other British shows I've seen.