PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Bond
08-15-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.uberduzi.com/files/movie_District9Poster_000-1.jpg

Alright, who has seen this? Impressions?

Vampyr
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking about going to watch it tomorrow.

I've heard it's amazing.

DarkMaster
08-15-2009, 12:24 PM
It was good.

Combine 017
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Im going to see it today.

BlueFire
08-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I enjoyed it. And I don't usually care for the sci-fi genre.

Fox 6
08-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Today!

Fox 6
08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Really enjoyed this film.

Christopher Johnson is the best character ever!

Swan
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Enjoyed it as well.

The Prawns looked amazing.

And the weapons....sweet

I recommend this

Combine 017
08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Fucking awesome!

Dyne
08-16-2009, 12:36 AM
You don't get to see a film like this very often. It's great. It's epic, it's got action, and it has a bit of comedy too. Not to mention some political commentary thrown in for good measure.

I'm SO, SO glad this didn't get turned into a Halo movie. In a recent industry riddled with sequels, this and Sunshine stand out proud in the Sci Fi genre.

Typhoid
08-16-2009, 01:12 AM
I just got back from this, and I loved it.
I didn't watch or read anything on the movie before I went to see it, and I think thats why I enjoyed it more than others.

*Not really spoilers but possibly still spoilers*

I also have a sneaking suspicion there will be a district 10 movie. Possibly explaining why the ship stopped, and why they were all huddled inside.

Bond
08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm going to see D9 this weekend. Should be good, I hope.

Dylflon
08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I wasn't expecting an action movie to be honest.

I was hoping the film would be more about the sociological implications which is how it started out.

Still, it was quite good.

BreakABone
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I wasn't expecting an action movie to be honest.

I was hoping the film would be more about the sociological implications which is how it started out.

Still, it was quite good.

I kind of was expecting an action movie, and was a tad disappointed.

Other than that, it was a really good movie. And I loved the social... I guess commentary especially considering where the aliens landed.

Angrist
08-18-2009, 09:52 AM
It's coming to Dutch cinemas on October 7. :( Same with Moon: October 15.

Teuthida
08-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I enjoyed it a good deal but the fuel having the ability to mutant a human into a prawn? That was the one part that really pushed my suspension of disbelief. Sure their technology is based on their biology...but still. When Wikus's fingernails first started falling off I thought it was going to just turn into The Fly. Glad there was more to story.

Christopher Johnson is the best character ever!

I concur. :)

KillerGremlin
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I felt that the first 45 minutes of the movie was spectacular. But it kind of went downhill towards the end. Still, where are we at with Sci-Fi this year? Moon and now District 9. With two solid films I can't complain too much.

I liked how this movie payed OBVIOUS homage to Peter Jackon's pre-LOTR days. I'm talking the Braindead days where he went wayyyyyy over the top with gore and blood. I really liked how the Prawn's weapons just liquefied the humans, very satisfying.

The aliens looked amazing too...CGI has come a long way. I mean this movie had what? a 30 million dollar budget? And it gave Transformers 2 and it's 200 million dollar budget a run for the money.

Honestly, I will have to see District 9 again. I really liked the dystopia introduction and the surgery part of the film and the whole evil corporation theme. The action was fun too but it stole some of the cerebral sci-fi.

Combine 017
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I enjoyed it a good deal but the fuel having the ability to mutant a human into a prawn? That was the one part that really pushed my suspension of disbelief. Sure their technology is based on their biology...but still. When Wikus's fingernails first started falling off I thought it was going to just turn into The Fly. Glad there was more to story.

Yeah, I was hoping it would make some sort of hybrid.

Typhoid
08-19-2009, 06:09 AM

The point got said to me on the ride home that made me think. At the end of the movie, you see "Main human characters name" as a full prawn, right? So what if all the other ones were once humanoid, but the liquid is so volatile it messes with your genes and turns you into that odd creature. I mean, clearly the DNA is special, considering their technology (That runs off of that liquid) works when they simply touch it, yet it doesn't work with other DNA.

gekko
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Terrible. Easily the worst movie I've ever seen in theater.

Fox 6
08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Terrible. Easily the worst movie I've ever seen in theater.

The best youve seen being?

Vampyr
08-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Instant classic.