PDA

View Full Version : Futurama returns in mid-2010!

Jonbo298
06-12-2009, 09:20 AM
NEW YORK, June 10, 2009 -- 20th Century Fox Television, the animation powerhouse that brought "Family Guy" back from the dead five years ago, has done it again: Matt Groening and David X. Cohen's brilliantly subversive animated sci-fi comedy "Futurama" will return to production on 26 new half-hour episodes more than six years after the series aired its last original episode. The move comes on the heels of the series' blockbuster performance on DVD and on COMEDY CENTRAL; the announcement was made today by Twentieth Century Fox Television Chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden, and David Bernath, senior vice president, programming for COMEDY CENTRAL.

http://www.comedycentral.com/press/press_releases/2009/061009_futurama_returns.jhtml

Extremely happy it's getting essentially a 3rd life at this point (I count the straight to DVD movies as a 2nd life :p ). Though the movies weren't exactly the greatest it was still nice that they came about and I enjoyed them.

KillerGremlin
06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
After 5 seasons of arguably perfection, I don't know why they would revive this show. The new Family Guy stuff has been hit-or-miss at best, and if that is any indicator....

On the other hand the Simpsons aren't funny anymore, South Park is hit-or-miss, Family Guy is hit-or-miss....so that leaves us with reruns. Perhaps some new Futurama could light up Comedy Centrals ever increasing lineup of crappy shows.

Jason1
06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

One of the best cartoons of all time, I AM EXCITED!!!!!

Fox 6
06-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I thought that they should've canned The Simpsons and continued with Futurama originally. Tho im skeptical about these new eps.

Swan
06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
The first 3ish seasons of futurama are gold. The next two were great but had a few sub par episodes

The Germanator
06-13-2009, 04:27 PM
This is awesome! The stuff I saw from the made for TV movies wasn't all that great, but I have confidence Groening can pull it together for some good new episodes.

Jonbo298
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
A terrible update :mad:

When "Futurama" returns to TV next year, it might be without the show's original voice cast.
Talks have broken down between 20th Century Fox TV and stars Billy West, Katey Sagal, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche and Tress MacNeille over how much they should be paid to take part in the show.

The studio announced last month that it would produce 26 new episodes of "Futurama," and that Comedy Central was on board to begin airing the new episodes in mid-2010. As part of the announcement, the show's producers said stars including West, Sagal and DiMaggio had all signed on to return.

Turns out that wasn't true.

The stars had all expressed interest in returning. But with the budget for "Futurama" dramatically slashed, the salary offers came in well below what the thesps were asking.

As a result, 20th has put out a casting call to find replacement voice actors for the show.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006123.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=bd_tv

Combine 017
07-18-2009, 02:12 PM
NOOOOOOOO!

No one else can play Bender better than John DiMaggio.
It just wont be the same. :(

BreakABone
07-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah saw this last night.
It kind of sucks, but Fox wants to save a few bucks.

Fox 6
07-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Errrrrrrrrrrggggggggg

So bad

Angrist
08-04-2009, 06:29 AM
So....... http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/08/03/futurama-cast-back-in-false-alarms-deactivating/

False alarm apparently. Thought you might want to know.

Jonbo298
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Awesome. Don't know how I missed that news yesterday...