06-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Tonight is his first show back.
Who's watching?

KillerGremlin
06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Me. I think...haha. I love Conan.

Jason1
06-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I've been waiting for this for a long time. I will be glued to the Television. Im very excited.

The Germanator
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
When I watched the late night shows I always loved Conan, but those shows don't do much for me these days. I may watch some this because it's a special event, but I'll probably only flip to it if the Phillies are losing or something.

EDIT: Well, I'm watching it. I remembered now why this is so awesome because it means Conan on a whole hour earlier and that Leno is nowhere to be seen (for now) Leno is the worst. I know he's getting the 10 PM slot, but whatever, I'm glad he's gone for now.

Professor S
06-02-2009, 07:59 AM
I thought he did a good job. Glad to see Andy Richter back on the show. Will Ferrell was meh.

My hope is that he can get to use his unique sense of humor (his interactions with people are the best) but also get that feeling of unpredictability back and comedic timing that was present during Johnny Carson. Johnny had the ability to be both socially acceptable on a wide scale and borderline edgy at times, especially in the old days when people used to drink in the green room and smoke on the air.

I think Conan can bring that feeling of "must see or you'll miss it" back to the Tonight Show.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIchlPNJHuA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIchlPNJHuA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ue3Gcp_5ESs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ue3Gcp_5ESs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWFhCE4ekqA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWFhCE4ekqA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Neo
06-02-2009, 03:22 PM
The comedy skits were classic Conan gold. Cir-cle! Cir-cle! He looked a little nervous during the initial monologue, pacing more than usual and pausing uncharacteristically long between comments. I'm sure he'll settle down soon.

It was a definite ratings hit. Over twice the viewership of a standard Tonight Show episode.

KillerGremlin
06-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm so glad Conan is back on TV. Jimmy Fallon is not improving and now I can just watch Conan and then Ferguson.

Conan did seem a bit nervous at first but he calmed down and the crowd was definitely supportive. The circle skit was gold and so was the opening skit where he ran from New York to Hollywood. I also appreciate them keeping Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7.

manasecret
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
The Tonight Show Band you mean. That is what you meant, right? There is no such thing as the Max Weinberg 7. That might confuse those transitioning from Leno.

Loved the episode. The NY->LA skit and the tourbus skit were very funny. I'm sitting here chuckling at the thought of the "WHY? WHY, STEVE? WHY???!"

He was a little nervous, but that will pass quickly. Will Farrell's bit about no one ever thinking Conan would make it here, was very funny.

Pearl Jam? Ah, some things never change. Turning the show off as the band comes on looks like it will still be the routine.

Typhoid
06-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Pearl Jam? Ah, some things never change. Turning the show off as the band comes on looks like it will still be the routine.

Pearl Jam was on to promote their new album. No other reason.
Plus Pearl Jam is good.

Anyways, I thought the episode was really good.
I like how the nightly line-up will now be Leno, Conan and Fallon.

I actually think Fallon has improved a lot, and the people who say he hasn't clearly are just being biased because they've been watching Conan for 10 years.
Fallon's episode last night was rather hilarious.

And I'm glad to see Andy Richter back with Conan, although he didn't really do much last night - but that might just be because it was the first night. I did like the Richter-laughtrack though. He seems to laugh at everything, every 5 seconds. But he only laughs for about 2 seconds then abruptly stops.

Jonbo298
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm loving his second show moreso then the first one. First was good for a first, but the second is better, IMO.

manasecret
06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Pearl Jam is good but the acoustics or volume on the mic was bad. I could barely hear him sing over the din.

Also, they're getting old. :p They were (trying to) be hardcore by jumping around and head-banging with their guitars, but really, c'mon, you're old, Pearl Jam. Maybe that's a detriment of having HDTV.. :lol:

KillerGremlin
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I love the Obama interview where he discusses the transition from Leno to Conan. Hilarious second episode.

Jonbo298
06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I honestly did not expect them to get Brian Williams and Obama to mention that in the interview. I expected them to pull a "Jay" and use the one sided QA approach.

Vampyr
06-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Pearl Jam is good but the acoustics or volume on the mic was bad. I could barely hear him sing over the din.

Also, they're getting old. :p They were (trying to) be hardcore by jumping around and head-banging with their guitars, but really, c'mon, you're old, Pearl Jam. Maybe that's a detriment of having HDTV.. :lol:

Yeah, I think his mic was completely broken or something. heh.

Awesome to have Conan back on though, loving the new show.

manasecret
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I honestly did not expect them to get Brian Williams and Obama to mention that in the interview. I expected them to pull a "Jay" and use the one sided QA approach.

That was awesome. And the 2nd episode was much funnier. Tom Hanks is a riot, I had no idea.

"Bro a No No for the CoCo?" Haha classic, and I think Hanks probably made that into an inside joke that will last for the rest of Conan's run.

I've got the series recording on DVR, so hopefully I can keep up with his season. Alas, now with a 8-5 job, staying up even to 11:30 is pushing it...

Teuthida
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I don't stay up that late anymore either. It's now my wake up show.

Professor S
06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
So far I've enjoyed the show, but it seems somewhat unbalanced. I think he needs to bring on an animal act or something. Conan's reactions to odd situations are his strength.

Typhoid
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't remember Conan ever doing an animal thing.
That's more Jay Leno's thing.

Teuthida
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Conan used to have Jarod Miller on pretty often where the animals would always get out of hand. Been a number of years since I've seen Conan prior to the move though. Looks like Jarod has been on every early morning and late night talk show.

Professor S
06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't remember Conan ever doing an animal thing.
That's more Jay Leno's thing.

As Teuth said, he did animal acts before, and it's not a Leno thing, it's a Tonight Show thing. Leno was never that great with animals, quite honestly. Carson was, but not Leno.

And it doesn't need to necessarily be a animal act, just something to shake up the monologue/skit/guest/musician paradigm.

KillerGremlin
06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I enjoyed the 'You TwitFace' joke. I also enjoyed the Tom Hanks getting hit by the comet.

I agree with Prof S that Conan's reaction to odd situations is what makes him so fun to watch. He doesn't quite have the on-the-spot wit that Letterman has in interviews, but he makes up for it with his hilarious reactions.

I think they should have kept 2000 instead of 3000, but new show so I understand the change.

I think Conan is still looking for his groove and getting everything rolling smoothly. But for 3 nights running I think they have done a wonderful job. I'm sure once everything settles down and Conan and the writers get bored we will see some amazing stuff. I personally LOVED the Writer's Strike. We saw some hilarious, low-budget humor.

BreakABone
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I haven't watched, but came across this on Kotaku.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/seriouslunch_conan.jpg

KillerGremlin
06-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I haven't watched, but came across this on Kotaku.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/seriouslunch_conan.jpg

haha you know i noticed that the other night...i thought "that background would fit right in a Mario game...." didn't think it was that big of a copy though. wow.

The Germanator
06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Haha, that's amazing. I'd watch every night with that second background.

Professor S
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Keep in mind Conan's graphic artist is a HUGE geek.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDKVU3tiBoQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDKVU3tiBoQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Typhoid
06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Is he still with the show?

I personally love the skits with him in them, and I really hope they bring him in on this show, too.

Also, I love how Andy Richter seems to be a mainstay on the show again, and wasn't a one-night thing.

Teuthida
06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, he came out yesterday and tried to high five Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Kareem looked very confused for the entire skit. Wouldn't even pet Conan's head.

As much as I like Andy Richter he actually annoyed me a bit with the laughing off camera in the beginning. Getting better with his interruptions though.

Jonbo298
06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, Kareem last night just felt...out of place since he didn't really do much of anything but just stand there and try and feel important.

I'll admit I loved the Year 3000 skit. Felt like a good transition to the new show and the 'outfit' used felt pertinent also.

manasecret
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Kareem did look out of place, like he had no idea what was going on or where he was.

Show # 3 fell a little flat for me. The monologue was too long and not particularly funny (YouTwitFace was very funny though :)), but I guess he can't have a field trip video every night. The interviews went well and were funny, and the transition to the year 3000 was great. "Wait, wait -- the year 2000? You're still calling it the same thing we called it when I left Late Night? And I thought I was lazy." :lol:

Jonbo298
06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Holy crap, Conan actually brought up the Background looks from a Mario game...and it was awesome.

Dylflon
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
My favorite recliner of rage skit was the one about Malomars.