PDA

View Full Version : LOST Tonight (4/6 - "Follow the Leader")

Bond
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Epic opening.

Fox 6
05-07-2009, 01:12 AM
I found this one just OK.

manasecret
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
KILL JACOB!

Awesome ending, IMO.

The real mind-bender here is, if Jack really does succeed in blowing the hydrogen bomb, how can Richard have possibly seen them all die and how can they all still be there 30 years later?

Typhoid
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
KILL JACOB!

Awesome ending, IMO.

The real mind-bender here is, if Jack really does succeed in blowing the hydrogen bomb, how can Richard have possibly seen them all die and how can they all still be there 30 years later?

They wouldnt be.

manasecret
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
They wouldnt be.

Duuuuuuuuuuuhh that's the point jeez :lol:

So is Faraday's/Jack's mission really utterly pointless? Or is there something we're missing in the equation from hydrogen bomb explosion to 30 years later?

Bond
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I think it's more so an intellectual battle between determinism and agent causation.

manasecret
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I'll fancy word you! ;)

Please elaborate. An intellectual battle by the writers you mean? So, can determinism (the plane crash and all events after are set in stone, I assume) and agent causation (Faraday/Jack etc. can change those events in the future by their actions in the past) ever actually mesh? How does it all work out then? Assuming they can't mesh, will one be a winner of the other in the end?

Bond
05-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I'll fancy word you! ;)

Please elaborate. An intellectual battle by the writers you mean? So, can determinism (the plane crash and all events after are set in stone, I assume) and agent causation (Faraday/Jack etc. can change those events in the future by their actions in the past) ever actually mesh? How does it all work out then? Assuming they can't mesh, will one be a winner of the other in the end?
Exactly. I'm not so sure if it is really a matter of what theory triumphs... but it's more about the exploration of the theories, and seeing where their logical conclusion ends.

Look at John Locke - now a Christ-like figure, is going to kill Jacob (the man behind the curtain). He wants to liberate his people from their oppressor. Or maybe not, who knows!

Edit: The solution to the determinism / agent causation battle could even be a type of compatibilism, that seeks to rectify human-choice with pre-determined events. I learned about it a bit in my meta-ethics class this semester. The theory is a bit absurd at points, though. I'll try to post more on it after my finals.