PDA

View Full Version : We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse

Bond
04-06-2009, 12:51 AM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/10010-we-were-dead-before-the-ship-even-sank.jpg

So, my roommate gave me We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse. I was listening to a bit of it tonight in the library. Interesting cd... a little odd, not quite sure what to think of it really.

Any strong opinions on Modest Mouse out there?

KillerGremlin
04-06-2009, 05:11 AM
No strong opinions about the new album. I wasn't captivated with WWDBtSES even after a few repeat listening. I put it away and will most likely revisit it within the next few months (I have a list of stuff to listen to...).

The band does have a stretch of 3 albums that have held my attention though:
This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About (1996)
The Lonesome Crowded West (1997)
The Moon & Antarctica (2000)

The Lonesome Crowded West is my favorite of the three and I could ramble on about how great I think the album is and how much I love the lyrics and how I think it is one of the best albums ever made, but I won't.

That's no fun. You need to go listen to it yourself.

The Germanator
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm a big Moon & Antarctica fan. That album is a classic to me. I'm kinda so so on the other stuff, but they are a good band.

Dyne
04-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Great album, probably the best.

I really can't stand Isaac Brock, at all. His singing grates on my nerves. It was great that they got the Shins guy in to do some singing, it really helped.

I think it's my favourite, though, because of the inclusion of Johnny Marr. I have a hard-on for The Smiths. I saw Modest Mouse live and it really made my year to see at least 1/4 of the smiths. Some of the songs turned out to be pretty catchy too.

My girlfriend's still a much bigger fan than I am, though. And somehow, she likes Isaac Brock.... how, I have no idea. Anybody can sing like they're drunk.

Typhoid
04-08-2009, 03:45 AM
I love this album.
I bought it the day it came out, and when I listen to it, I have to listen in it's entirety.

I think it's the best Modest Mouse CD they've made.

I also love Issac Brock's voice.

KillerGremlin
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I love Isaac Brock's voice too....but I will say their albums all have required time to grow on me. I would say his voice is acquired, but some people are just never going to like it. Which is fine......it's definitely one of "those voices."