PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue 2. If you've got it lets form a discussion.

Ric
01-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Well, anyone got Shenmue 2, it is a bloody excellent game, and you get used to the Japanese voices after a while.

Anyway I am at the bit where you have to carry the books out of the library.This is an aspect different from Shenmue 1 so I was wondering, do you think these new elements of gameplay (catching those bloody leaves) spoil what was started with Shenmue 1 or further enhance the gaming experience.

I personally think......... well I'll wait for your reply first I think.

Ginkasa
01-23-2002, 03:29 PM
I hate those books. I only got all of them out of the library place once....

The leaves part was cool. That gave me more of a feeling that I am Ryo Hazuki trying to learn some patience and how to focus. Why? Becuae that's what you have to do to catch the leaves three in a row.

The Germanator
01-23-2002, 08:54 PM
I never got the books out of the library...:(

But, yeah, I dig all the new gameplay elements. This game was definetly more enjoyable than the first for me.

Ginkasa
01-23-2002, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I liked ShenmueII much better than Shenmue. It had a bigger world and better gameplay and the story moved along quicker (and the parts where the story moved by slowly weren't dull or boring). Just an overall experience. Let's hope that ShenmueIII does the same thing to ShenmueII did to Shenmue.

C.H
01-24-2002, 12:33 PM
I do think that Shenmue 2 is better than the first game, the only thing i wasn't so keen on. Was the use of QTE (Quick Time Events), some of the big fights. Would take while to get through (that wasn't the bad part), and finally after getting through the fight. You get a QTE moment, were you have to hit a combination of buttons quickly. That became a bit fustrating on some parts. Especilly how on some parts you had to a hit the same button twice, at first i didn't see that and only hit the button once (RIC YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!).

But overall, the game kicks arse, true story telling in a game. And kicking the crap out of people one after the other is just great fun. I became addicted to this game as much as i was addicted to Z:OoT. I do think the sequel is better then the first game, with more of a sense of freedom, with much bigger envirouments.

It's just sort of strange to think the first and second game is only just the begining of the story (those who haven't completed it, will know exactly what i mean when they do).

Ginkasa
01-24-2002, 04:24 PM
I didn't like the QTE after the fights either. There wasn't much warning either.....

Ric
01-25-2002, 05:25 AM
Well I agree, I like the new aspects, the books, I done them all and once I had done that it was easy, if you get them all twice in a row that bloke (cant remember his name) in the white robes teaches you a move rather than just giving you one to learn yourself. I find the books quite easy now.

Those QTE's surprised me at first, but I think they are both good and bad, bad because........well because they just are and good because it is challenging. Anyway I just met that bloke at the cafe and got in a big scrap then Xaingue (Or however you spell her name) came along and, well I dont want to spoil anything for anyone so I wont. I am not on disc 3 yet, I have just got to the bit where you have to find Ren (where's stimpy lol).

C.H
01-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Ric
I am not on disc 3 yet, I have just got to the bit where you have to find Ren (where's stimpy lol).

You've only just got to the bit where you have to find Ren, then you've still got a while to go. Not a lot, but it's not like your minutes away from finishs disc 3. Put it this way, only discover another big place, and a great challenge, where you have to try and hurt someone (:)).

Ric
01-29-2002, 10:10 AM
Just got onto disc 3, got chased by a fat bloke.

My bro may be trading in his DC for a PS2 today though :(.
Not to worry his DC is nackered and he will get a new one somewhen :D.

Ginkasa
01-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Okay, since I didn't feel this really needed a topic on its own....

What if Sega stuck with the game for each chapter idea?

First. what do you think would be different in the storyline? It probably wouldn't be too different but of course a few things would have to take longer or there would have to be more things you have to find.

I think the Shenmue series would have failed eventually. The story would have moved waaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow. You spend most of ShenmueII looking for Yuanda Zhu, chpaters 2 and 3. If we only had a game for a chapter we would have spent two games looking for the guy. And what about the things that take place in disc 4? There's not nearly enough stuff happening in chapter 4 for a whole game unless they added more towns that you had to get too to get Bailu Village.....

What are you're thoughts?